Procedure for cleaning vinyl top? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Procedure for cleaning vinyl top? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything abrasive on vinyl. You'l ruin it. Once you abrade the surface, you're done. Only use ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Procedure for cleaning vinyl top?

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything abrasive on vinyl. You'l ruin it. Once you abrade the surface, you're done. Only use cleaners and soft brushes. Anything abrasive will surely make for a fast cleanup, and it will look good, but since you've now abraded the surface of the vinyl, it will weather at a much accelerated rate.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Katshot, are you talking about the Magic Eraser? That thing doesn't seem abrasive. But they do work wonders around the house.

I am not one for all these new house cleaning products that come in containers of wipes and toilet brushes that that have the cleaner already on them and all the other new products to make cleaning supposedly easier. I am an elbow grease kind of guy. But, my wife bought that eraser and it does work. Might be worth a shot on the vinyl. You will still need a cleaner though. I think it might work better than a rag and not do any damage like a brush.

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Just a note--I've ordered and used EVERY one of those supposed top cleaner products, only to have them do absolutely nothing. I too, was more comfortable putting a dedicated top cleaner on the top to clean, but none of them worked. Tried Raggtop, 303, Amazing Roll Off...nothing.

So, right now, the ONLY thing that works for us (and works beautifully, I might add) with the thick white vinyl is the bleach/water mixture. Has yet to visibly hurt either the vinyl on the Buick or the Caddy, and both are still soft and shiny afterwards when I apply the usual protectant--which has been Mop n' Glow lately.

Actually, as I've been told by a semi expert (who used to sell pool products) after looking at our tops, the problem is mildew, and by using the bleach mixture we aren't really hurting anything per say, but aren't officially getting rid of the problem--the gray/black mildew down below--just making the top look good for a while, then it comes back over time. She actually told me to use a pool liner cleaner for black mildew, but I haven't gotten around to buy any.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldyfig
    Katshot, are you talking about the Magic Eraser? That thing doesn't seem abrasive. But they do work wonders around the house.
    I am not one for all these new house cleaning products that come in containers of wipes and toilet brushes that that have the cleaner already on them and all the other new products to make cleaning supposedly easier. I am an elbow grease kind of guy. But, my wife bought that eraser and it does work. Might be worth a shot on the vinyl. You will still need a cleaner though. I think it might work better than a rag and not do any damage like a brush.
    No, I was talking about the use of abrasives like scouring pads etc. I'm not familiar with the "Magic Eraser" so I can't comment on it.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser
    So, right now, the ONLY thing that works for us (and works beautifully, I might add) with the thick white vinyl is the bleach/water mixture. Has yet to visibly hurt either the vinyl on the Buick or the Caddy, and both are still soft and shiny afterwards when I apply the usual protectant--which has been Mop n' Glow lately.
    I wouldn't come right out and advise bleach as the ONLY thing that will work--BUT...

It is.

The reason it's not advised is because some fool will probably end up dumping a bottle on top of their car and scrubbing it without any regard for the paint.

I've even read about people using 409 and Windex on their paint. Hell, it works fine on the washer/dryer, why not the hood of the car?

When I had a white convertible top, I would take a dixie cup half full of bleach and a tooth brush. The hose was always running and closeby if I needed to do a quick rinse. Never had any problems with that technique.

Back when I had my detailing business, you'd be surprised what I had to use on some finishes to "pre-clean" them prior to polishing.

Benzilla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

I just used the magic eraser and it worked great! my white top was sort of darker around the edges and took that off and it took off dirt I diden't even know was there, when I was done my whole top looked really white. But if you are going to use it I recommend puting mass amounts of conditioner on after your done because it does seem to dry out the top just a little bit(although I'm totaly parinoid about drying my top out so it might just be me)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.