Beware of the Acid Bath
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Beware of the Acid Bath in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Beware of acid washes. One of the car wash (detail centers) facilities near me uses an acid bath on every ...
    turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Beware of the Acid Bath

Beware of acid washes. One of the car wash (detail centers) facilities near me uses an acid bath on every car that comes in for a full detail. WHY? Because acid is the quickest method to remove surface contaminants from a finish. Problem is that is also softens the clear coat plus it removes all the polish/wax/ and sealant on the finish. Repeated use of acid will kill a finish, not something you want to practice.. I have also seen people bring in their car for only a hand wash, get an acid wash, and drive away with no protection on their car. Be informed, ask questions, your car will thank you. Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Beware of the Acid Bath

Very true, I sell to several car washes, and have friends that own automatic car washes, many use acid in the winter time to get the salt off quicker, stay away if you can.

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Mon dieu! What is a Frostback to do come winter time, then? Those "Touchless" car washes are the lesser of several evils up here north of the 49th parallel.

The automatic wonders that drag your car through hanging fibrous brushes, dripping with the last car's salt/dirt/bird droppings and maybe one or two suds bubbles are but the first insult to your pride and joy. Then on it goes to the spinning oilskin strips to really press the garbage into your poor car's paint, finally ending up at the high school drop-out lineup with their oh-so-used and fouled "drying chamois" to work in that final patina on your clearcoat that can only come from a gazillion small scratches and swirl marks.

On the other hand, we can go to the "hand wash" services and pay through the schnozz for a half-assed attempt, complete with threadbare toweling to grind the missed and left over residue further into our paint. Did I mention we pay through the schnozz for this "service"?

Or, we can bravely go outside in -30 degree weather, steaming hot bucket of water in one hand and another steaming hot bucket 'o suds in the other and try and do the most half-arsed job imaginable - before we sucumb to frostbite on all our extremities. If we are really lucky, we won't have inadvertantly frozen ourselves out of the car's locks.

So, it's back to the touchless washes. If they're spraying acid on the cars to peel off the winter grime, then are we doomed to always pay the premium price for the "hot wax" multi-coloured suds-job that we all know is horseshit anyway?

Book of John Chapter 11: ",,,,,,,,and Jesus Wept"

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Or, we can bravely go outside in -30 degree weather, steaming hot bucket of water in one hand and another steaming hot bucket 'o suds in the other and try and do the most half-arsed job imaginable - before we sucumb to frostbite on all our extremities.
    I have a pair of really thick rubber gloves that go almost up to my elbows. They're like lineman's gloves, probably designed more for electrical protection, but they're waterproof and very thick. I wouldn't hand wash much below 40 degrees because I'm a wimp, but I'm sure the gloves would do their part even in the 20's.

That's good to know about the acid wash. Thanks for posting it. Hopefully we don't have that down here because of our mild winters.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Well that's one good thing about having a ragtop. Wouldn't go through one even if I didn't know about the acid

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.