Turbomangt, un question, s'il vous plait,,,,
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Turbomangt, un question, s'il vous plait,,,, in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ,,,as the owner of several vehicles with varying degrees of usage and applications, I don't usually treat their surfaces the ...
    Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Turbomangt, un question, s'il vous plait,,,,

,,,as the owner of several vehicles with varying degrees of usage and applications, I don't usually treat their surfaces the same, or even with the same products. I'm going to run through a few scenarios with you and please let me know if there is something I am not doing but could be doing for a better result, or perhaps something I shouldn't be doing at all, based on the application. thanks in advance for any and all considerations. I'll post the pics of each vehicle, if that helps any,,,. Now on to the questions!

First off is my showcar - a 1972 Mustang Coupe with 39,720 verifiable/original miles. I am the 2nd owner, but have known the car since it's delivery date of August 17, 1971. It was delivered in a Medium Lime Metallic colour, olive interior. I couldn't stand this exterior colour so after searching through the Ford colour books for 1972, decided to repaint her in an available shade for that car and year, Pewter Metallic. This paint job was done in 1990, and is enamel (ie; no base/clear). The car gets around 500 miles a year put on her (never in the rain), mostly through Saturday night cruises and Car Shows.

I have been using Meguiar's #26 yellow wax - 2 to 3 applications a season - and Meguiar's Detailing spray, when required as a freshen up. My main question for this car is what to do prior to storing for the winter, if anything. Maybe a glaze prior to the wax? Anything else that should be attended to? The car is in a heated/secure facility and covered with a cotton car cover. A coupla shots of the car are below.

2nd car is the '97 Silvermist SDV and you've already seen it in the "Pics,,,,#26 wax" thread. That car spent all but the last 2 years in Florida and I haven't put her through one of our winters up here yet - she will be stored soon, unheated but secure facility - anything special to be done to her flanks other than the aforementioned claying and waxing?

3rd car is my 1988 Brown SDV, the workhorse of the family. This gets me through the winter months - and up here, those months are frought with danger to the paint of any car. Salt. Sand. Urea crystals. Chemicals I can't even pronounce,,, but can tell you they are anything but nice to a car's finish.

It has been treated with OilGard (under carriage viscous spray) every year since new and after just turning over 300,000 clicks, still has no appreciable rust. I like to lather on the lotions/potions for this baby before the white stuff flies: clay-job; swirl remover; glaze; wax. The car will be going through one of those "touchless" car washes on a weekly basis all winter to get the worst of the crud off her, but we both know the limitations of that technology and I am sure that the protection I put on will get stripped off by the chemicals in the touchless system. Believe me though, up here in the winter, it is the lesser of two evils, as I can't hand wash the car during that time and refuse to take the car through any carwash with brushes.

So, there it is. Please note that I don't use any power applicators with any of these products, all the work is done by hand. Thought I'd mention that in case it affects any of your suggestions re: product.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Turbomangt, un question, s'il vous plait,,,,

Frost for starters I don't speak French . Your Mustang is gorgious. You seem to be doing some good things, but you can change some things. wax doesn't not have the durability of modern synthetic polymer sealants, however this car does not get driven daily so waxing is fine for that car. Keep in mind that Meguiars #26 is Old technology, if you want to stick with wax for her, try Collinite or P21S. The fact you have no clear on that car means you can use some elbow grease to increase the shine/depth and reflectivity. using a glaze or polish can achieve that. another tip, the Meguiars in the red bottle is watered down low qaulity product, if you lke meguiars stick with the brown bottle line, its better quality.
    The other two cars that get more miles I would consider going to a synthetic. Most people don';t know that the bext wax under the best conditions will last 30 days, as compared to a polymer which will last 6 times longer. The wax test report (www.gurureports.org) has rated many different brands of wax and polymers and they have concluded that the synthetics ruled the test especially in the durability department. I hesitate to say what sealants to endorse for fear of promoting my products again, so I will mention many of them. Klasse all in one is a popular one, however the sealant glaze is difficult to remove which is why I don;t sell it. 4 star platinum is a good product but when it comes in contact with even the smallest drop of water, it gums up. The one I endorse and sell is made by Ardex, one of the leaders in professional chemicals. It goes on easy, and comes off the same. leaving you 6 months of protection behind. I sell it for 10 bucks a bottle which is half the price of the other two brands. The fact you have 300,000 miles on your car tells me you are mostly doing things properly. Gary

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Tres bon et merci beaucoup, Monsieur! (Very good and thank you muchly, sir!)

The last question re: shipping to Canada - any issues? Up here in Canada, our access to polishes/waxes is more limited than where you're at. I've never heard of Ardex, but if it's easy to put on/take off, then these 52 year old elbows are certainly up for it.

turbomangt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Frost, I have a year on you, I'm 53. I have many customers in Canada. Here is how I ship to them. Go to my web site www.perfectautofinish.com e mail me the products you want, include your address. I will ship the order when I get your info. after I ship it I will e mail you the exact cost with shipping. I can ship UPS or USPS. On the custom form I will mark as a gift valued at under $15 so you don't get hit with additional tax. Sound ok for you? If you need to know more about my products we can discuss that when we talk. You do speak nice French, Gary

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.