Its almost spring...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Its almost spring... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Its almost springtime, and washing the car is going to be a regular practice. Since I dont really know what ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Its almost spring...

Its almost springtime, and washing the car is going to be a regular practice. Since I dont really know what im doing, what are some good products to use. What im saying is good stuff for waxing and polishing, leather cleaning, even all purpose cleaners. I want these products to be available in stores like pepboys or autozone. I dont really need to mail order professional stuff since I am not trying to make it show worthy, i just want to make look nice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kempie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS
    IMHO if you are going to take the time to clean & wax you maby want to look at Zaino. Plenty of time to order before wash season. The stuff lasts & lasts. Gets me through a MI winter and no wax has ever done that. In 40 years of car waxing I have not found a better product. Easy on & easy off, even for an old fart like me. www.zainobros.com

toomanytoyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
    Definately Zaino.

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS
    My favorite combo is a clay bar and then some The Wax Shop wax. This wax shop stuff used to only be available in California (you guys out there should know the stuff), but now it's available nationwide. It goes on thin, and buffs out really nice. It's gone in a few weeks, though, but it takes no time to reapply. I personally don't like heavy waxes on my car. I like to reapply the wax at least once a month, and The Wax Shop lets me do that without having to strip the old wax each time.

Anyone else use The Wax Shop products?

what about products that you can buy in a store?

You can buy that in a store -- Advance Auto Parts sells it, as well as other auto retailers I would think. I know that at least Advance sells it. I don't think Wal-Mart carries it.

Man, it IS almost spring time! It's an absolute DELIGHT outside today, here. Just about 60 degrees, no clouds, no wind. Wonderful! I forgot what the Northstar sounds like at full song with the windows open.

Screech--WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH --- WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH --- WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

I just washed the Q today, and it is dire need of wax.

What about interior products??

If it's one of those deals where you don't know when the last time it was waxed, I wouldn't start with The Wax Shop -- it's a thin wax, and I'd be more comfortable applying it over a known clean surface than one already possibly damaged or coated with something else.

I'd get Meguiars clear coat cleaner and start with that. That will strip it down to the paint. Then, I'd use a Meguiars clay bar and their spray on lubricant (forgot the name for the moment) and further clean the paint that way. That cleans/polishes it. You won't BELIEVE the quality of the job just at that stage. Then I'd apply The Wax Shop. Possibly even two thin coats if this is your first time waxing the car.

I bought my Nissan truck in November and this is the first nice week we've had since I bought it, and I want to wax it dearly. I think I'll take the opportunity this weekend to do so, and I plan to follow the exact procedure above.

I reallly like the Meguiars products (as you can plainly see above), but they don't have a wax that I like. I really don't like the paste wax, and even their liquid waxes dry thick. The Wax Shop's wax is great -- when you buff it off, you don't get that wax powder usually associated with thick waxes. I'm not saying that Zaino is bad or anything, just relaying my good experiences with The Wax Shop.

As for interior stuff, is it Eagle Leather or something that is the original supplier for Cadillac? They make a leather cleaner that's supposed to rock. I've never used it, but have heard good things. Somebody please jump in here and help me out with the name.

As far as waxes, i was looking through meguiars catalog, and do you think that the "Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax" would be fine, or should i get the other stuff you mentioned. Also, what is wrong with having the powdery stuff come off after a wax? It has never bothered me, is there something bad about it. Or is it a matter of personal preferance? Also, I noticed the cleaner wax. Would this not do as good of a job as using the cleaner and a wax seperately?

I used Gold Class once. I don't remember it being bad, I just prefer The Wax Shop.

There's also nothing wrong with the white wax powder, except that I don't like having to brush it off the car after I wax it. It just makes a mess. One time before a car show, I washed the car, waxed it, then had to wash it again to get that junk off. Then I rediscovered The Wax Shop (it's all my dad uses), and I've been using that stuff ever since.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    The "exact brand" you use is FAR less important than HOW you use it and the fact that you use it at all.
    You ever here the saying about opinions and *******s? That pretty much covers this topic too.
    Any one of literally dozens of quality products will give your car great protection. Just remember to apply the products as/per their manufacturers recommendations and you'll be fine. Experiment for yourself and then you'll have an opinion too.

Ok, ill give it a whirl!!!

What about interior products, I know there are some that are better than others.

Heres a little update on stuff im using....

I am using eagle 1 polish/wax. I am satisfied with this product, but it didnt reduce the swirl marks like I hoped it to, probably because i used a towel instead of a sponge to apply. It gave it a great shine, and made the color really deep.

I am also using turtle wax leather cleaner. My leather is hard, so it has taken a lot of to make it supple again. It is pretty good stuff, but once it is out I am going to try lexol.

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
    I always use Meguires products. I think Meguires Gold Class wax would be the best for you. It is avaliable at Pep boys. Also, how do you like that '03 Suburban? What model do you have 1500, Z71?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.