lower windshield weather stripping- should this be sealed? 2004 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, lower windshield weather stripping- should this be sealed? 2004 Seville in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hey guys! SO I have had my Seville now for two weeks and I'm making slow progress to fix the ...
    itschrome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville SLS

lower windshield weather stripping- should this be sealed? 2004 Seville

hey guys!

SO I have had my Seville now for two weeks and I'm making slow progress to fix the few issues She has. A new one popped up yesterday at the car wash I noticed that a few tablespoons worth of water leaked down when going through the car wash. I noticed that the source of this might be the weather stripping along the lower edge of the windshield as I saw it being lifted by the blowers at the end. SO when i checked it out it's lose fitting and not sealed at all!! but then when I lifted the hood it looks like this piece should be removal-able. Should it be? Should I seal it with a bead of window sealer? does it need to be replaced? I have no clue here, much thanks for the help!

20140623_190729.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: lower windshield weather stripping- should this be sealed? 2004 Seville

Sweet! It;s pouring today and there's more water getting in.. I have no idea where to start to figure out the issue. I'm almost certain its coming from some where along the right edge of the windshield still not sure if this needs to be sealed or not.. ugh, of all the small issues I knew about when i bought this this is the only one I have no clue how to fix. it's driving me made and the previous owner says it never happen to him. thinking the car was ****ed something up.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's not a seal, and not intended to be water tight. It's just the rubber garnish for the edge of the cowl cover. The water making its way past is just going underneath the cowl cover and draining away, along with all the water that goes through the holes in the cover for the HVAC inlet.

Where exactly are you seeing water healing in? And does your car have a sunroof?

ok cool. yeah it has a sun roof but that's dry as a bone. the water seems to be running upon further inspection from the pillar at the driver side of the windshield as the base of it feels moist, then run along the dash seem down around the air vent above the light controls and then down the dash to the floor. I'll post a pic when I go out for a smoke in a few.

What about the seem between the headliner and the top of the A pillar trim. Any sign of water there?

Open the drivers door, remove the "fuzzy" trim around the door opening, and leave it off. Go through a car wash, wait until it rains, or have someone hose down the sunroof, over the gap between the door and roof, and top left corner of the windshield, for several minutes. From inside, look for water running down the now exposed seem, along the roof and A pillar.

yeah the a pillar is only wet at the base. it's dry from the top down till about mid way.

20140625_143206.jpg
    The arrow shows where it starts to feel wet. though it's mostly just wet in the back side facing the driver at the very base.. kind of did a poor job on that arrow placement

20140625_143236.jpg
    the blue line is showing where the water runs

20140625_143442.jpg
    Now area of interest, it looks like this may have had its windshield replaced once, and poorly at that. note the sealant over flow on top and the ****ed up condition of the rubber stripping.

starting to think i just need the damned windows resealed

None of the rubber around the windshield are what seal it. The rubber is there to keep trim pieces from directly contacting the glass and/or body if the car. The windshield is attached to the car/sealed with urethane adhesive. The windshield starts below the pillar/dash pad, it's very unlikely that the water is running UP the pillar. I would check for water running down the pillar as I described in my last post.

Do you have glass coverage?

I do have glass coverage! I learned young to get that! though not sure if this sort of thing is covered.

It isn't covered. But if it does turn out to be a leaking windshield, it would be reseated when it's replaced. The windshield just has to be cracked...

But check for it running down the pillar first.

yeah.. I just did that. I found a run down the pillar leading from the weather seal around the door. but I can't for the life of me figure where it come from there. I'll post photos later. my phone needs to charge. I want to say you where right about sun roof. but we dumped a bucket of water on the sunroof and nothing came in... ugh!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.