Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Widest/Biggest Tires/Rims on a 84 Brough?

Widest/Biggest Tires/Rims on a 84 Brough?

I bought a set of 20.8.5 255/35/20 wires for my 84 Brough just to find out they wouldnt fit because of the back fenders lip. I was going to cut it but realized it was allot more work than I though it would be.

My question is what is the widest or biggest set of rims/tires that I can fit on my 84 Fleetwood Brough 4.1.
    Im planning to buy a set of 18' with 225/40/18 tires (RWD) and was wondering if they would fit

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

Re: Widest/Biggest Tires/Rims on a 84 Brough?

At the Southern Super Heavy Shootout in Atlanta last month, there was a 83 Coupe DeVille racing that had the Goodyear Eagle RSA in 255/55/17 size. They fit well and appeared to use every available bit of space.

The 20s stick out about an inch, but they are knock offs so I think the adapters put on at least a half an inch. Any body ever notice a difference in the width with knock offs?
    Thankx

20's with that tire should fit. What's the back spacing on the rim? You're gona want at least a 5 inch BS with that wide a wheel. Also, GM has a habbit of making one side of the rear axel longer then the other. I think it's as much as a half inch. Keep that in mind. I found that out when I put 17x8's on my '85 FW. Otherwise 255's should just clear the frame and fenders. If it rubs a bit you can take a body hammer and a grinder and clearence the inside of the fender a bit. I had to do that with mine on the drivers side rear. Again, the longer axel thing.

Honestly I measured with a ruler and with the tire on the width is 10 inches and the front wheel sticks out almost 1.5". I just gave up Im selling the 20s and getting some Foose Spank5 225/40/18 I checked and realized the wheels I have on right now are 225/60/15 so the 18 should fit with out any problems. By the way the 20" spokes are for sale if anybody is willing to go through the shit of putting them on. I was going to cut the lip completely off before I painted my baby but my mechanic talked me out of it, plus he wanted too much for the work.