Making the paint look nice and good again
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Making the paint look nice and good again in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The paint on my 97 Catera (forrest green) is in need of some care.... It was my dads daily driver ...
    Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Making the paint look nice and good again

The paint on my 97 Catera (forrest green) is in need of some care....

It was my dads daily driver car for the whole time, and it wasnt kept in PERFECT condition all the time.....and, being a dark color, the swirll marks and little scratches and inperfections show up really clearly. What can you guys recomend to get kinda scratched up, dark green paint looking really good again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Making the paint look nice and good again

Ive tried many products, and I have gotten great results with 2 coats of eagle one WET polish/wax..... My only gripe about it is its really thick and it gets hard to get all the stuff off....

I hear meguires gold class is about the same, but goes on much thinner!!!

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Ive tried many products, and I have gotten great results with 2 coats of eagle one WET polish/wax..... My only gripe about it is its really thick and it gets hard to get all the stuff off....

I hear meguires gold class is about the same, but goes on much thinner!!!
    anyone have any yes/no things on buffers the ones that you buy at walmart for about 30-50 bucks

I hear that they dont really do anything (meaning dont make the shine that much better) and you can really mess up the paint if you do it wrong!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You can get scratch removers and stuff like that. You can also get it professionally done.

There's no harm in trying a buffer. If you get to know how to use it right they work great and at the very least it takes some time out of waxing.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

For your scratches and swirls I would use 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover, you can get this at most Pep Boys stores, this product can be used by hand, if your whole car needs work then a buffer would be better, the Porter Cable is one of the best, but if you have never done this before I would take it to a good detail shop to have this done. To keep it looking great clay your car at least once a year and keep a good coat of wax on it

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

hcvone is right about the 3m stuff. I love it.

Start with a mild mixture of Dawn and water. Wash by hand, rinse OFTEN and don't leave the soap on the paint for more than a minute. Just do one small section at a time.

Use the claybar on the whole car. You might need two, depending on how much dirt and grit are embedded into the paint.

Wash AGAIN, this time with an even milder mixture of Dawn and water. All you're trying to do here is get the residue of the detailing spray off of the car.

If you have a lot of swirls, hcvone suggested the best product I know of. http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.En...P=0&CACHE_ID=0

I had one of those cheap orbital buffers, and it did fine. Unfortunately it died last month. I gotta go buy another.

If there are any deep scratches that the swirl remover didn't get, use a rubbing compound sparingly on them, then use the swirl remover again.

Here's the best part that will make the biggest difference--3m Imperial Hand Glaze. Use a wet sponge or wash cloth to apply it to small areas, then remove with a dry COTTON cloth. You can put two or even three coats of this stuff on and it will cover and fill those fine little scratches and swirls.

Finally, put a heavy coat of wax or protectant on. Everyone has different preferences. For dark cars I prefer a pure carnauba wax. For lighter cars, particularly metallic colors, I prefer the synthetic polymers. They last longer.

KEEP IT WAXED! WASH BY HAND ONLY! If you do this, just a little bit of work every week or two, the car will stay looking nice longer. You'll only have to repeat the buff/glaze process once a year on a black car, less on a lighter colored car.

I also prefer to use a car wash with wax in it.... I use KIT with carnuaba wax, and have been using it for a long time.... Great stuff......

I waxed my car last time 2 months ago, and I wash about every week (or now when its above freezing), and it still beads up like the day i put it on.....

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

In the post about how often to wash a car Sandy recommended "No. 7" to wash cars with. I use Sundance wash & wax that has canauba wax in it and it keeps the waxed look and feel too.

We're pretty much down to the cars that just see the car wash every couple weeks so I guess I'm almost done with washing cars until spring

pzito is offline Cadillac Owners Member

get a small 6 in hand held buffer and use a product called diamond shine but use a foam pad all the time then use a meguire number 20 to seal it . i have blk caddy no swirl here.. just blk beaut...

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    I also prefer to use a car wash with wax in it.... I use KIT with carnuaba wax, and have been using it for a long time.... Great stuff......

I waxed my car last time 2 months ago, and I wash about every week (or now when its above freezing), and it still beads up like the day i put it on.....
    You will not want to use a car wash that contains wax if you use a synthetic wax product like Zaino, Liquid Glass or Klasse to name a few, the reason is that the oils can leave a film on cars that use synthetic wax products.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.