Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ????? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I used Meguiars Leather Cleaner and conditioner for the first time and now my seats are blotchy. I followed the ...
    johnp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ?????

I used Meguiars Leather Cleaner and conditioner for the first time and now my seats are blotchy. I followed the directions and the seats looked great for the first hour. After several hours the seats had blothches of shiny and non-shiny areas. The leather seats are midnight blue and until now they looked really good.

How can I get me seats back to their original look ?

I am extremely dissapointed with the Meguiars product.....NEVER AGAIN !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Re: Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ?????

Go to the leatherique.com website and read about their product. Send them any questions about restoration of your leather and they will assist. They have been in business since 1968 and are the leather experts. Don't panic and good luck.

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Gotta go with MWA 100% on this one - leatherique is the place to go for info/advice and they have the best damn leather product this side of the Sierra Madres - especially their rejuvenator and prestine lines.

- if it's good enough for Bentleys and Rolls Royce, then it's good enough for my Lucille ('97 SDV)!!!!!!

Re: Blotchy Leather seats after Meguiars ?????

The initial plan was to order the kit from leatherique and then do the job. However, I got stupid when I was at the local autoparts store decided not to wait. This has been the first and last time that I have used any of Meguiars products. I never would have thought that a famous brand like Meguiars would put out a product on the market that actually ruins the finish. I am really disappointed with the outcome. I wish that I would have stuck to the original game plan and waited for the leatherique kit.

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

JohnP, When you get the leatherique and apply it to remove contaminants and the M, let us know how it works, ok? It will be interesting to hear how it restores leather with problems like you have stated. When I used it, I had no prior surface problem and it made my eldo leather unbelievably beautiful as well as very soft with the smell like genuine leather smells. Also let us know how many apps it took to remove the M. THX

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

I've had problems when using a leather cleaner directly on the leather instead of putting it on a cloth first. I ended up with little spots all over. Not saying that's what caused your problem, just my own experience. Sorry, but don't have a solution except maybe cleaning the area with a 6:1 water : Woolite solution and drying thoroughly.

louiefl99 you are right on with your assumption about applying solution directly on the leather rather than a cloth. I applied the spray directly onto the leather after doing a small test spot. The initial spot was small and did not show any problem areas, however the problems soon appeared after I sprayed all the seats.

Did your spots ever come out ?

After 10 days the front seats are not as blotchy as before but there are a few spots where the leather seems to have developed streaks.
    I am going to meet wth the Leatherique distributor on Friday and I will purchase whatever he recommends in order to obtain the best solution. I will let you know how it turns out.

2001blackdev is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Blotchy Leather seats after Meguiars ?????

Quote Originally Posted by johnp
    I never would have thought that a famous brand like Meguiars would put out a product on the market that actually ruins the finish. I am really disappointed with the outcome.
    I know what you mean...You would think a big name like that would make darn sure all their products are top notch. I find a lot of Meg's stuff is hit or miss. I don't like their leather products at all, but I use their NXT Tech Wax and it does a great job on my car. The other day I went out and tried their Hot Shine tire spray, and it sucks. Yeah, you can adjust the size of the stream, but there is still an amazing amount of overspray that gets all over the wheels, the body, etc., and the performance is marginal at best. I even did it inside the garage with the door closed, in case wind was a problem...still got all over everything, including the floor.

By the way, I only do a full seat treatment once a year. For maintenance in between, I've been using Turtle Wax Spray Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Works great, smells great, and goes on really fast.

I did the Leatherique once this year and fell in lust for the way it brought my seats back 100%! For maintenance I use the LEXOL 4-in1 conditioner. It keeps the leather soft/supple without any "greasiness"

madooch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

i like the mother's products never had any problems any the leather cleaner and conditioner work great

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

The spotting was on a medium gray leather seat, nothing seemed to get rid of the super-clean spots so I thought I'd wait and see how it did over time. I re-cleaned and conditioned once a month afterwards and in a couple months it was gone. I was too paranoid about using something harsh on the leather and thought it best to not throw a million cleaners at it, possibly destroying the leather.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I just used the Meguiars leather conditioner this past Saturday. It was a gel/cream, not a spray. I put some on my fingers, and rubbed it in. Then wiped it off. The leather looks and feels great. I have always used cream type leather conditioners, as they seem to do a better jib. And I always work them in with a bare hand, instead of a cloth. It has always yielded great results.

Don

,,,,not to mention how smooth and supple your own hands are afterwards, eh Dadillac?

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    ,,,,not to mention how smooth and supple your own hands are afterwards, eh Dadillac?
    Yeah, no callouses(sp) on my hands.

Don

rollman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS

Quote Originally Posted by johnp
    I used Meguiars Leather Cleaner and conditioner for the first time and now my seats are blotchy. I followed the directions and the seats looked great for the first hour. After several hours the seats had blothches of shiny and non-shiny areas. The leather seats are midnight blue and until now they looked really good.

How can I get me seats back to their original look ?

I am extremely dissapointed with the Meguiars product.....NEVER AGAIN !
    I seriously doubt it was the product, perhaps it was your leather , has it ever been refinished ? Give Meguiar's Customer Service a call 1-800-347 -5700 Mon-Fri 6am-6pm , PST Sat , 7am -3pm PST . It may be handie to have the product if they need a UPC code from it .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.