Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ????? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ????? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; The leather has never been refinished and up until the point that I used Meguiars the seats looked pretty good. ...
    johnp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Botchy Leather seats after Meguiars ?????

The leather has never been refinished and up until the point that I used Meguiars the seats looked pretty good. In fact the rear seats were like new.

csbacchus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've used Meguiar's leather cleaner/conditioner in an '03 vette, an '04 TL, and now my '95 STS. (Trying to get out of debt so the vette is gone and the wife drives the TL). I even use it on my leather home furniture between major Lexol (the separate treatments, not the 4-in-1) or a "furniture store" cleaner treatment followed by conditioner treatment. An all-in-one solution should only be a gap filler for the separate leather treatments.

I have never had any problems when applying to the cloth and applying in generous quanities. However, I immediatley wipe with a dry cloth to take off the excess which helps restore the natural look and even it out(leaving it on without removing excess with a dry cloth makes it more glossy and uneven). Leather is like a sponge and it needs to be treated regularly with a generous amount followed by wiping with a dry cloth. The leather in my STS was getting a little tough when I bought it 2 weeks ago, but Meguiar's softened, cleaned, and conditioned it quickly.

You are probably experiencing the difference in a gloss vs. natural look from applying directly to the leather. This is enhanced with the darker leathers. In my experience, you can simply place a good amount on a cloth and even out the "blotchy" look. Kinda like painting a wall: just keep applying additional coats until it evens out. Your seats probably looked good, but the leather might have been slightly dry and the areas where you applied the product directly to the leather absorbed a greater amount. I really wouldn't worry unless it looks bleached. Eventually the uneven look wears out as the leather absorbs the product, loses gloss, and begins to dry out again.

Meguiar's is a great product and I wouldn't give up on them.

On a side note: IMHO, my 95 leather is better than the vette and the TL. It is much thicker and more durable. The vette leather was really, really, cheap! It's almost like pleather. The Caddy has furniture quality leather.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

I've used the cream meguiars that comes in the brown bottle on all three of my Cadillacs and never had a problem, one of which has dark blue leather. I just apply it with a clean flanel diaper and when I get done with all the seats I buff them all off with a clean terrycloth towel. after I'm done they look like new.

Moose123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante

good advice

caddolicious is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

I used Meg's Leather Cleaner Conditioner Spray on my 2009 CTS. I sprayed it directly on the leather and just rubbed it in with some thick Bounty paper towels. I let sit for a bit and then I went and buffed it off with a cheap microfiber cloth from Walmart. The seats looked amazing initially; smooth with lots of gloss. However, after two days of sitting in them, the oils begin to rub off in the areas where you make contact with the seats, hence the blotchy appearance.

I wouldn't worry, its not ruining your leather seats. The fact is that most modern car interior leather is vinyl coated to resist water and staining. As a result, the vinyl coating makes alot of the oils sit on the surface of the seat instead of being absorbed into the leather. Since the oils sit on the surface they easily become removed with regular car use. No big deal.

I know there are major "Leatherique Fans" here, however, I'm not so convinced. I used some of my buddy's leatherique conditioner on my passenger front seat about two months ago (he wouldn't give me more than that ). I let it sit for the full workday, which is 8 hours for me, and then I buffed it off with MF. Quite honestly, I noticed the same phenomena, great initial smoothness and gloss and after a week, it began to fade and turn more flat.

Maybe this is an issue with 2009 leather and maybe it works better on older leather. But I think regular upkeep is the only way to keep leather looking great.

DevilleDeeman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII, 2008 Saturn Vue XR

Quote Originally Posted by johnp View Post
    I used Meguiars Leather Cleaner and conditioner for the first time and now my seats are blotchy. I followed the directions and the seats looked great for the first hour. After several hours the seats had blothches of shiny and non-shiny areas. The leather seats are midnight blue and until now they looked really good.

How can I get me seats back to their original look ?

I am extremely dissapointed with the Meguiars product.....NEVER AGAIN !
    I use Meguiars and no problems here, I don't spray directly on the seats, spray on a soft cloth(micro-fiber) and rub in. My seats have never been blotchy.

R6DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 DTS

I want to try Leatherique but right now I use Meguires and dont have a problem with it.

TrUcKeR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Pontiac G8

I use Adam's Polishes Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner. Nothing, IMO, is better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.