Bleaching a white vinyl top?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Bleaching a white vinyl top? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Alright, so this weekend I had to give the old Brougham a wash because she was looking pretty poor from ...
    FrankieSixxxgun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Fleetwood Brougham

Bleaching a white vinyl top?

Alright, so this weekend I had to give the old Brougham a wash because she was looking pretty poor from all of the recent rain. After I got done washing the body, she was mighty white, except for that vinyl top. It was getting dingy and had some mildew spots on it. I figured I could treat it a little rough since it's vinyl, broke out a mop and bucket, and slapped some bleach on her. Now the top is as white as it was new! Anybody else bleach their tops? Could I possibly damage anything by doing so?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AccElan01 is offline Banned

Re: Bleaching a white vinyl top?

I used to have a Monte Carlo with a white vinyl top. One time someone took a shit on the roof and wiped their skidmarks all over it. I used Simple Green to clean it off and was happy with the results.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AccElan01
    I used to have a Monte Carlo with a white vinyl top. One time someone took a shit on the roof and wiped their skidmarks all over it. I used Simple Green to clean it off and was happy with the results.

Oh man that's funny, no offense. I was also wondering the same thing, would I be ok if I used a bleaching agent on light antelope vinyl, or would I be safer to go with Simple Green?

Brian

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Had the EXACT same problem (well, not the shit one... ) with both our Fleetwood and Roadmaster, both of which are white with white vinyl factory tops. They were both mildewed when we got them, so took a bleach/water mixture, some thick gloves, and a scrubber/scratchy pad from the kitchen and scrubbed away. Back to clean and bright white.

After a year or so, the Fleetwood got REALLY bad again, mostly gray and with weird run marks down the side. Thought it was actually ruined there for a while, but then decided to try the bleach fix again and got it back to near perfect. Check out the thread I started (with lots of pics) here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ht=white+vinyl

So I guess the bleach doesn't dry the top out and cause it to crack then, huh? I didn't even have to scrub it, I kinda just slapped the mop on the top and pushed it around a little and the thing came whiter than the white paint. It even got rid of some of the old mildew the previous owner tried to hide with white paint. What a jerk!

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Well, just to be sure, I would probably use a product like Meguiar's rubber and vinyl cleaner and protectant, the stuff in the little red bottle once the top is clean. I think I'll give it a try this weekend.

Brian

Bleach definately is not the mildest of cleaners for the top, but a lot of the time, it's the ONLY thing that'll work, especially on white ones.

The key is making sure you keep it protected ALL THE TIME afterwards, via some sort of protectant for vinyl or anything similar. Right now, after the last cleaning of mine, I started using a different brand of something identical to Mop N' Glow, because it not only makes the vinyl bright and shiny, but gives it a good acrylic coat that allows water/dirt to roll off easily. Just gotta make sure to re-apply whatever you use often, so it doesn't start going unprotected for long. Also, if your car sits outside like mine does, making sure that you clean off anything that lands on it, from leaves to bugs to poop, as soon as possible, will prevent staining.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

My Olds had a vinyl top, alabaster color (off white, almost beige). I used to use a mix of 1/3 bleach to 2/3 water in a spray bottle. After i washed the car and top the best I could, I would spray this mixture onto the already wet top and rubbed it with just my hand and then rinsed it off. It did the job superbly for 4 years without causing any damage.

Yeah, I had a few people suggest putting something else on the top now that I've bleached it. I have a whole bottle of McGuires vinyl stuff since my '67 has vinyl seats, so I'll just spray 'er down this weekend. Check out how white that top is now though:

Good stuff

I knew it would work....now you just gotta work on keeping it that way, which is hell at times, especially if it's an outdoor car.

Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Frankie,

That car looks showroom sharp. I like that dark tint. Nice ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldyfig
    Frankie,

That car looks showroom sharp. I like that dark tint. Nice ride!
    Thanks! She just got rained on before those pics too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.