How To Clean The Exhaust Tips (Eldorado)??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, How To Clean The Exhaust Tips (Eldorado)?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Man, I just got new stock exhaust over a year ago and already it looks like shit. Any way to ...
    Chuck C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

How To Clean The Exhaust Tips (Eldorado)??

Man, I just got new stock exhaust over a year ago and already it looks like shit. Any way to clean off the black/red/brown gunk on my mufflers and tips?? Anyone swap out the old tips for new ones?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rek
    rek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The mufflers(original) on my Eldo weren't looking too good. I used denatured alcohol and a fine scotch-brite pad to clean them. Then, I sprayed them with a high-temp-semi gloss black. If you want them to look like stainless, there is a high-temp stainless pigmented paint, that has fine stainless steel particles, in it. I have used the stainless paint on my Z-28 exhaust system. It still looks new(1973 model). AS for the tips, I "borrowed" a fine pot cleaning pad from the kitchen(didn't want to scratch the finish). and used it with the alky to clean the tips. I put on some polish(NU-Finish), on the cleaned tips, they look new. The tips are welded on, so if yours won't clean up, try E-Bay for some new ones. Good luck...

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    see what you can wipe off first with a towel and some window cleaner. Then start scrubbing. You can get some stainless polish to shine them up once you have it cleaned up. You could probably go to an automotive store and the stuff you use to clean wheels would work good.

thanks guys....so rek, did you just clean the underside of the mufflers or disconnect them for cleaning?

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I use "00" steel wool on that kind of stuff. If you spray window cleaner on and hit it with the steel wool it works great. We also have this stuff at the shop called " Blue Away" That is very effective at removing heat related discoloration from chrome and stainless. The wool will also take off minor rust and stuff if it's not too deep!

niccceee, thanks KC (now if it would just warm up outside so i can clean my baby!)

rek
    Chuck, I didn't disconnect the mufflers. I just cleaned what I could see. But, hey, That's an idea. Take the suckers off, and while you're at it, you could clean up the underside of the floor pan(trunk pan?) as well. Now that would be a thorough clean job. I guess I like the Alky to clean stuff cause it reminds me of dragsters and one of my "other" fun time money pits....Nitro powered on-road/off road RC cars. WAAaaaaaaaaa/shiftWAAAaaaaaaaaa---42,000 RPM later, you're there... I know, off topic...I'm done

how bout using acetone??

rek
    I think it evaporates faster than the alky, but probably with less residue. Also, I think the acetone is harder on the skin. You do wear rubber gloves, right???LOL

toomanytoyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
    I can second the steel wool. I use the 000 or 0000 stuff though on my chrome and glass... Works wonders and no scratches.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    I can't believe nobody knows to use carb cleaner on it. The stuf cuts through carbon like it's nothing and leaves nothing but bright metal behind. I would wax them afterwards though.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Never heard that one, but makes sense, if it can cut through carb stuff it should be able to get through carbon.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Oh it does alright. Just don't ever use it on plastic or painted surfaces.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Oh! Yeah....I forgot to mention that! I use Carb cleaner or Brake cleaner all the time....Sorry about that Chief!

hmmm...what is carb cleaner? is it a brand, where can it be bought? (I'm sorta a deep car cleaning newbie)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.