How To Clean The Exhaust Tips (Eldorado)?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, How To Clean The Exhaust Tips (Eldorado)?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Gumout Carb. cleaner or Berrymans Chemtool spray or BrakeKleen or any number of other brands available at your local auto ...
    kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Gumout Carb. cleaner or Berrymans Chemtool spray or BrakeKleen or any number of other brands available at your local auto parts store in the cleaning section.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Carb cleaner is far stronger than Brake cleaner for getting carbon deposits off. You can buy it in any parts store. You can also use throttle body cleaner too. If you use brake cleaner, it will leave less residue than carb cleaner and dries very quickly, but just doesn't cut the crud as well.

rek
    rek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Chuck, if you have "carbon" on the outside of your 1 year old mufflers, they might be shot. I can see where "carbon" looking gunk would be on the inside of your tips. If it's on the outside of the tips, does it burn a lot of oil, smoke like crazy. Where's all the "carbon" coming from?

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    lol, i never said i had any carbon on my mufflers!

rek
    That's what I thought!!!!! I was trying to understand how carb cleaner would come into play as per your question. BTW nice looking ride! I got a spoiler on mine too, but it has a LED light strip in it. I got it from Roman Chariot in Cleveland.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Originally posted by rek
    That's what I thought!!!!! I was trying to understand how carb cleaner would come into play as per your question. BTW nice looking ride! I got a spoiler on mine too, but it has a LED light strip in it. I got it from Roman Chariot in Cleveland.
    Was THIS not the question?
    "Any way to clean off the black/red/brown gunk on my mufflers and tips?? "

That "gunk" as you refer to it, is a mixture of carbon and rust. And rubbing it with a little "carb cleaner" will remove the deposits. After that, I would suggest some polish.

OK Gang, We've obviously got a lot of time on our hands here....'Cause we're pickin' nits here!......But I like it!

rek
    Well I guess I just didn't understand that he wanted to clean the inside area of the tips. And thanks, for the explanation of the "gunk", it was most useful. That would be kicking up detailing a notch, cleaning the INSIDE of the exhaust tips. I never thought of that.

Originally posted by rek
    Well I guess I just didn't understand that he wanted to clean the inside area of the tips. And thanks, for the explanation of the "gunk", it was most useful. That would be kicking up detailing a notch, cleaning the INSIDE of the exhaust tips. I never thought of that.
    I use Carb. cleaner to clean out exhaust tips all the time. I really catch a lot of crap from my friends about it 'cause they think it's excessive....But they always come to me for detailing tips!

rek
    KC, I cleaned the inside of the drag pipes on the pan I used to have. But the Eldo tips are a different story, they aren't "looking" at you, like on a bike. But, I'll check it out when it gets warmer, maybe mine could use it. Carb cleaner, huh, now if only I knew how to use it. ROTFLMAO I gotta go and clean the litter box, The cats been busy....

mnymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS
    Just finished cleaning up my tips on the Caddy and I used some Gunk Engine Bright and one of those little scrub brushes you use to clean your rims (Yellow, plastic steel wool looking thing in a wedge shape) you can get it at any parts store. Well anyway sprayed that on and rinsed then hit it lighty with the brush and the grime just fell off, I will put a coat of wax on them tomorrow to keep the grime from sticking as much next time but they look about 75% better (not new but shiney again)

andymac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My dual duals on my 92 seville were really bad, to the point if I RUined them tring to get them clean, I would have got new ones... But I used a brillo pad to get the things started then I windexed them. Total time - 25-30 minutes Looking alot better, time well spent

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    so does most of that gunk come off? i remember my original mufflers were so bad that they had huge rusted out holes. Shoot, I saw a new Envoy and the whole muffler and exhaust were rusty...couldn't have been more than two years old. Why don't they just install stainless ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.