Rims that will stand up to a 500s torque
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Rims that will stand up to a 500s torque in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I need some wire rims that will stand up to a 500s torque. I put a 500 in a 82 ...
    cadder2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 fleetwood w/ 500cid, 1990 Brougham 'D Elegance 5.7

Rims that will stand up to a 500s torque

I need some wire rims that will stand up to a 500s torque. I put a 500 in a 82 caddy and did a 400hp+ Mts build. All of the companys that I have talked to have said that wire wheels wont stand up to 600lbs of torque. I have heard that Crager Star Wires are good but they are discontinued, and they are only a thirty spoke. Has anyone had good look with a rim that is still in production, or am I forced to buy used? The wheels that I have now are a old style American Racing rim that is a steel wheel with a cross lace wire hubcap with a wreath on the center cap. I lost one of the hubcaps and everyone I called said they are out of production. Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Rims that will stand up to a 500s torque

It seems to me that the brakes put a whole lot more stress on the rims than any street engine ever could.

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man
    It seems to me that the brakes put a whole lot more stress on the rims than any street engine ever could.
    Excellent point... 0-60 and 60-0 is the same exact thing to the wheels. Plus the the wheels are more likely to break loose unless you have 4 passengers and a trunk full of bricks. Start worrying about your rims bustin when you start towing.

cadder2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 fleetwood w/ 500cid, 1990 Brougham 'D Elegance 5.7

I remember seeing a guys website that put a 500 in a 1980 fleetwood, he said that he spun out the centers of his original Cadillac true spokes and had to go to an all steel wheel. Just didn't want to spend a bunch of money and have this happen. Thanks

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

If you are going to play go fast then lose those rims anyway. They are really heavy. Find some factory alloys.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was thinking of putting some wheels on the ElDorado. Not fancy, bling bling rims just wheels. Does anyone have a suggestion, etc for something that looks good, will fit, and that is going to be strong enough?

Thanks

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

A nice set of factory steel with the Caddy hubcaps look really nice on these cars. They didn't have alloy rims back then like we do now, so those were the top of the line, and they still make the car look right.

If I were to go alloy, I'd see if any of the more modern factory alloys have the right bolt pattern, and grab a set of them.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

I think that I may go with the Cragar Soft 8's. They are simple chrome steel, and look sporty while still retaining the classic look, IMO. I'm sure many would absolutly hate them.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.