Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So I figured I would start a thread regarding washing and maintaining our vehicles. I am no pro with the ...
    listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread

So I figured I would start a thread regarding washing and maintaining our vehicles.

I am no pro with the products I used but I do spend 3-4 hours a week cleaning inside and out.

I used Meguiar's ultimate wash and wax. Apparently it has some wax in it and it definitely seems to sud more and shine more than some of my old turtle wax car champoos. Seems a bit expensive though. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread

I have been using a lot of the Adams Polishes car care products, Their car wash shampoo, Car wash pad for the upper half of the car, Detail spray & Great white microfiber drying towel that can be used to accelerate drying the car is a life saver for me with the hard water here even though I am using a 3 stage filter system
    "2 autogeek filters and a Mr clean gun with filter" for washing my ATS.

I use a separate microfiber sponge for the lower half of the car and wheels since those are the parts of the car that tend to get the dirtiest.
    A 3rd sponge just for the exhaust tips to.
    Double bucket washing method.

MetroVac Blaster Sidekick Dryer to blow most of the water off the car prior to applying the Detail spray and hand drying with the Adams Polishes great white microfiber.

303 Aerospace protectant on all leather, vinyl & plastic.

Seltzer Water for any minor interior stains.
    Woolite dark extra care for the GM ebony, charcoal colored carpets and floor mats.

Napa Glass cleaner on windows.
    Staples screen cleaner for auto dimming mirrors and CUE.

The GM red & gold stain removers with the stain application chart, GM Vinyl, leather, plastic cleaner are all really good if and when you can find them
    Same with the GM Odor Eliminator that is hvac system safe.

My b.f. does the waxing with 3M synthetic wax.

I have the Adams Polishes Butter Wax but it hasnt been nice enough to try it yet
    Along with the Adams Glass cleaner & Microfiber glass towels might try them today or tomorrow.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

I like keep my cars looking good and also well protected from the elements. I do not use wax products, but rather I use paint sealants. Waxes certainly make a car look good, but they are very volatile and will easily dissipate within a week or two; thus, necessitating frequent waxing to keep up appearances, while offering very little protection. Sealants, on the other hand, will also make the car look very good (maybe not as deep a look as can be gotten with a good, expensive wax), but will usually last 6-9 months in terms of water-beading, looks and protection. IMO, the sealants' durability, protection, shine and ease of application (usually wipe on, wipe off) make them a natural choice.

I can't make any suggestions because I have been a Zaino user for the last 14 years and haven't tried any of the other and newer sealants. Nonetheless, there are many very good brands out there for your review and research.

As we have "treated/coated" leather in our cars, using fancy and expensive leather care products is usually a waste of time as they don't readily penetrate the urethane coating that is on the leather. Maybe yes when the leather is getting worn, but not when new. So cleaning our leather is best achieved with mild soap and water (or something like a 10-15% solution of Woolite)-rinsing and drying thoroughly; or if you must use a leather cleaning product, Lexol is good, as are many others on the market. However, using leather conditioners won't do anything unless the leather is wearing and the coating is gone. Most of you probably don't believe this, so I suggest that you do some research to draw your own conclusions.

Actually, the same applies to all your vinyl cleaning...soap and water, period. However, I do use Aeroprotectant 303 as I don't find it too glossy and it does afford UV protection.

For glass I use Invisible Glass with crumpled up newspaper...squeaky clean. I'm sure there are many other good glass cleaning products out there, but whatever you choose, newspaper is a must.

Enough said....

tahawk69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t awd premium

Zaino here. Use it on all vehicles, simple to apply. Technically this sealer system only needs to be used twice a year to protect for a year. The layers build on each other, I don't think anything is better.
    kidzstang and jessduet like this.

This sealer, is it a spray and wipe away kind of thing? Also, why the newspaper for the glass? Im curious. I usually use a microfiber towel with windex for the console and windows, but now that I have tints I am going to have to get an amonia free cleaner.

Newspaper is an old trick for windows, as well as extra large coffee filters. On tint and dash surfaces use only mild soap and water. Microfiber is safe to dry with. Zaino has many types of products. I use their liquid polish in a bottle z5 swirl remover on dark paint followed up with z2 or their newer equivalent for high shine. They do have a spray shine enhancer along with every other type of product incl. clay bar etc.

----------

I loved this product, as most guys after a day at the track had to scrap the rubber from their paint, mine would just wipe right off. Nothing likes to stick to zaino.

Quote Originally Posted by listrats View Post
    This sealer, is it a spray and wipe away kind of thing? Also, why the newspaper for the glass? Im curious. I usually use a microfiber towel with windex for the console and windows, but now that I have tints I am going to have to get an amonia free cleaner.
    The sealers usually come either as liquid that you dab onto an applicator (MF or cotton covered sponge), or as a liquid that is in a spray bottle. Apply, let dry (could be 30 minutes or more) and then wipe off.

First, Invisible Glass has no ammonia. I started using LG and newspaper when I went onto the BMW detailing forum and have been happy with results ever since. The newspaper leaves no lint and the print is supposed to have some kind of window waxing action (I think). BTW, all my cars have had tinting and IG never harmed them (13 years on one car, 8 on another).

----------

Quote Originally Posted by tahawk69 View Post
    Newspaper is an old trick for windows, as well as extra large coffee filters. On tint and dash surfaces use only mild soap and water. Microfiber is safe to dry with. Zaino has many types of products. I use their liquid polish in a bottle z5 swirl remover on dark paint followed up with z2 or their newer equivalent for high shine. They do have a spray shine enhancer along with every other type of product incl. clay bar etc.

----------

I loved this product, as most guys after a day at the track had to scrap the rubber from their paint, mine would just wipe right off. Nothing likes to stick to zaino.
    BTW, Zaino does have an AIO (All In One) product: Wipe on, wipe off, get at least 3 months of shine and protection. There are other similar products out there.

Newspaper used to have oil based ink which acted as a polish on glass, newspaper ink of today is not oil based I believe it's soy. Eitherway newspaper and coffee filters have no lint and are very absorbant. Invisible glass is very good to use along with many other non ammonia based cleaners. I still prefer soap and water mix to do full interior along with windows, makes it easy.

Tadpole24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

If you like Zaino try Duragloss same product just much cheaper. (I started using Zaino in 1996 loved it then found out DG was the same)
    If you are washing your car every week there is no need to get out the buckets and hose. I started using waterless and rinse less about a year ago and now very rarely get out buckets. I can wash 2 cars and a truck in a hour if I don't need to scrub the wheel and tires.
    Optimum No Rinse is a great rinse less and Meguiars D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax is a nice waterless.

jeffroeson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red

Exterior (paint): Been a Zaino user for more than 10 years. It has one of the best full line products out there. It's been easiest paint protection product I've used. I'll always go Zaino.

Tires: TUF SHINE is by far the best tire cleaner/dressing product there is. Used it for last three years and will not change. Easy to apply, no mess, reasonably priced and gives the ideal tire look!!! Shout out to Bob at TS!!!

Wash: Sorry, no recommendation here. I rent and don't have best resources for wash. Just use Kwik Trip no brush wash (does clean underside).

Interior: 303 Aerospace Protectant does fantastic appearance and protection on everything but carpet. And always vacuum the heck for all other dirt.

Glass: No preference here. Used most typical glass cleaners and put little money and effort here. Zaino Gloss Enhancer ends up putting a fine shine on the outside.

Always ready to try anything, but these products serve me fine!!!

Curious, does anyone use any of those attachments that go between a garden hose and a nosel, to dilute soap into the water and give you a soapy mix? I see some of them for like 30-40 dollars, and I figure at that price they are probably no good, though that is just an assumption.

----------

Do any of you have any experience with Zaino's Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal? I was thinking of purchasing it and trying out out after my weekly or bi-monthly summer washes for some extra shine. Black is such a b****h to keep shiny.

Do any of you have any experience with Zaino's Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal? I was thinking of purchasing it and trying out out after my weekly or bi-monthly summer washes for some extra shine. Black is such a b****h to keep shiny.

Save a few bucks try Duragloss Aquawax.

EricEst1978 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

After having this recommended by an amazing detailer here in Dallas, I swear by this stuff for hand washing:

http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-R...rinse+car+wash

I'd be happy to discuss my method with this stuff if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by listrats View Post
    ...Do any of you have any experience with Zaino's Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal? I was thinking of purchasing it and trying out out after my weekly or bi-monthly summer washes for some extra shine. Black is such a b****h to keep shiny.
    Grand Finale Spray is truly amazing. Spray some on a panel and wipe on with a MF. No need to buff as it self-dries (cures) to a great shine and the smoothest surface feel there is. May not last too long, but really cool stuff while it is doing its thing.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by EricEst1978 View Post
    After having this recommended by an amazing detailer here in Dallas, I swear by this stuff for hand washing:

http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-R...rinse+car+wash

I'd be happy to discuss my method with this stuff if anyone is interested.
    Please do. My concern about using such products is that they may leave light scratches on the car if the surface dirt is rubbed into the car's surface.

Like I said ONR is great stuff if you do it right you will not scratch the paint. Much easier than old 2 bucket method. Look up Garry Dean wash method.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.