Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My routine thus far has been: 1) Pull up to Kwik Trip car wash 2) Insert credit card 3) select ...
    carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium

Re: Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread

My routine thus far has been:

1) Pull up to Kwik Trip car wash
    2) Insert credit card
    3) select Ultimate wash
    4) proceed into car wash

It makes me feel like I ran over a magical unicorn.

Not much else you can do for washing a car in the winter here in WI and even car washes shut down at 10 degrees so you can go a number of weeks without a wash and lots of salt build up.
    Over the summer I will just take it to a professional here.

77MINO77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 T
    So I am extremely new to this whole detailing thing. By new I clearly mean I've never done it before! I have read all the posts in this thread and know the various products that everyone uses, my problem is I don't even know where to begin or the steps I should follow, the do's or the don'ts. My ats is black diamond, and I live in Northern Ontario where road salt is very prominent. Not sure if I should use a sealer or wax. Right now all I'm doing is washing it with a turtle wax soap and drying it off on a weekly bases, even though it could use it daily! Ha! Any hints/ pointers/ procedures would help me out a ton! Thanks! Btw loving the Cadillac forum, check things out every day!

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by 77MINO77 View Post
    So I am extremely new to this whole detailing thing. By new I clearly mean I've never done it before! I have read all the posts in this thread and know the various products that everyone uses, my problem is I don't even know where to begin or the steps I should follow, the do's or the don'ts. My ats is black diamond, and I live in Northern Ontario where road salt is very prominent. Not sure if I should use a sealer or wax. Right now all I'm doing is washing it with a turtle wax soap and drying it off on a weekly bases, even though it could use it daily! Ha! Any hints/ pointers/ procedures would help me out a ton! Thanks! Btw loving the Cadillac forum, check things out every day!
    You're lucky its Black Diamond since the metallic hides flaws.

Aside from actual cleaning, which is a temporary condition, the top priority is to reduce wear and tear on the paint, which is a permanent condition.

Wear is reduced by limiting the amount of contact with the paint while detailing and minimizing the damage from the contact that does occur.

Start cleaning by dislodging as much dirt as you can with your water source.

Then use two buckets to wash. One for the "suds" and a separate one for frequent rinsing of whatever you wash with to prevent dirt it has picked up from being dragged across the paint. Until you have two buckets, you should frequently rinse it out with your water source but obviously that takes longer and wastes water.

Use a high quality washing liquid. I have not found any really good ones sold by a brick and mortar store. What you want is something that loosens the dirt but also is extremely slippery so loosened dirt slides easily on a layer of the "soap". The more foam the better since it helps suspend dirt away from the surface. This is one area where the really good stuff is actually cheaper than the B&M store stuff. I use Chemical Guys Citruswash+gloss but believe there are numerous products just as good. You need just a cap full for 5 gallons of water, which makes these kinds of products very cheap per wash, despite being expensive per ounce. The only problem is I don't know anywhere to get the good ones except for online stores like Detailed Image or Auto Geeks.

Use a high quality mitt that is very soft and pulls the dirt into itself instead of dragging it across the paint, and rinse constantly.

A lot of damage is done drying a car. Its normal for small amounts of dirt to be pulled from cracks and crevices during the final rinse. If drying by contact, the last pass will be over essentially dry paint and grinding that dirt into the paint. If you contact dry, use a thick nap microfiber. That will pull much of the dirt into itself to minimize abrasion of the paint. To completely eliminate drying damage, get a high powered air dryer (invented for large pet groomers and then souped up and re-tasked for detailers). The powerful ones run in the three hundreds up but have a very long life for DIY detailers where it won't be used continuously like a dog groomer would.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    Or you could use an electric leaf blower for drying. That works really well got me.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

77MINO77, do not follow my washing routine in my previous post in this thread!
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis View Post
    I have my lawyer screen all my posts BEFORE I post them. I used to pass them by him after the fact like you do. But then I had to do a lot of what you just did (except for real). LoL

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rspitler View Post
    Or you could use an electric leaf blower for drying. That works really well got me.
    Yes you can. I'd say a leaf blower is better (for the paint) than contact drying.

But they don't blow filtered air or heated air or have attachments to speed the drying process. The last two are very nice. I see it sort of analogous to using a manual toothbrush versus an electric one, with contact drying being like whatever Don probably does to his teeth. Zing!

Blow drying takes different skills and one is getting rid of the micro drops formed when the original full size drops get blasted by high velocity air. Being smaller, they self dry into micro waterspots failrly quickly. Heat and focused air help avoid that.

----------

Since there is a forum here just for detailing, etc. I'm moving this thread there.

Quote Originally Posted by don.davis
    Haha figured as much, hilarious post btw had me laughing

----------

Hoosier Daddy, I have a hose/floor drain right in my garage so to eliminate paint contact using the two bucket method would rinsing with the hose be better?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Go to www.autogeek.net and get their detailing CD. Pour a decent bourbon and water and kick back for a half hour.

and take a look at the clever insert for drywall mud buckets at www.gritguard.com . Worth their weight in gold. You will absolutely flip when you see the amount of GRIT in the washwater bucket. Use a GOOD sheepswool mitt for washing and (edit) swish/squeeze in the wash water bucket (edit) often.

Quote Originally Posted by 77MINO77 View Post
    Hoosier Daddy, I have a hose/floor drain right in my garage so to eliminate paint contact using the two bucket method would rinsing with the hose be better?
    If I'm understanding the question, rinsing the mitt with fresh water COULD be better than a rinse bucket. The rinse bucket will have increasing amounts of very fine dirt suspended in the water. On the other hand, squeezing and releasing the mitt while submerged will get more trapped dirt from the car out of it than rinsing in flowing water. And thoroughly rinsing the mitt with a hose would take longer than dunk, swish, squeeze, squeeze, swish in a bucket.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Or how about using a new mitt for every square foot of the car?

There's never going to be no dirt on the mitt, and the car will eventually have to be polished anyway. No point obsessing too much over rinsing the mitt.

So with everyones tips i tried my hand at detailing my ats this afternoon and my car looks fantastic!! I used a variety of Autoglym products and they worked great, thanks for everyones input. Here are some before and after pics! The pics aren't the greatest from my iPhone.
    Attached Images
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

deedle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T RWD

Quick question for the pros out there. Washed my Black Raven ATS last night and was rushed to where I couldnt dry it properly, of course now I have some pretty severe water spots on both the painted surfaces along with glass. Any tips on products/techniques to use on removing them?

Notes: Will probably be done by hand and I have not attempted to wash it again since I first saw them. (At work panicking now)

turbocaddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

I got the Zaino z8 sealer spray and it seems to have worked to negate all the pollen from the trees and dust in the air. I parked under a tree and I came back to get a ton of pollen on my car, but it seems as if the sealer helps it not stick to the paint because the second I drove off it all blew right off.

My issue is the front bumper has so many marks all over it, not necessarily rock chips, but some sort of scuffs could be from anything maybe the bugs on the highway? I cant get it off with the polish sprays or washing it thoroughly. Anyone have any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by listrats View Post
    My issue is the front bumper has so many marks all over it, not necessarily rock chips, but some sort of scuffs could be from anything maybe the bugs on the highway? I cant get it off with the polish sprays or washing it thoroughly. Anyone have any advice?
    So I take that to mean there is nothing left stuck to the paint. If it is scuffs you can probably get rid of them all with a DA but that's not something you want to do often since it gets rid of the scuffs by taking off the clearcoat that's scuffed. If you will be driving in the same conditions you might want to get some clear bra material there or even some of the new 3M spray on stuff. It might need redoing every year but its cheap and easy and should keep the paint safe from things like bugs or most rocks.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...review-529472/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.