Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; [QUOTE=flycaster;12177473]Grand Finale Spray is truly amazing. Spray some on a panel and wipe on with a MF. No need to ...
    listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

Re: Car Cleaning/Detailing Thread

[QUOTE=flycaster;12177473]Grand Finale Spray is truly amazing. Spray some on a panel and wipe on with a MF. No need to buff as it self-dries (cures) to a great shine and the smoothest surface feel there is. May not last too long, but really cool stuff while it is doing its thing.[COLOR="Silver"]

Is this an additional layer of protection this "sealer"? By not last long do you mean the sine or the protection? Theoretically, if its another layer of protection than the next wash should be easier correct?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by listrats View Post
    This sealer, is it a spray and wipe away kind of thing?
    Lots of good stuff posted here.

There are sealers that use just about every method you can think of.

I would limit the choice to a polymer type for the best protection. Despite the love for Zaino, I think there is better and will explain why I think that. First I used Zaino exclusively for close to 2 decades. It was and is VERY good for how long it protects. But newer products protect as well and are "shinier" than Zaino. Many need to be reapplied more often than Zaino BUT the total effort is less due to the various steps for Zaino, and the difficulty is less (Zaino has very rigid procedures and time windows compared to modern sealants) and lastly, which is the next most important thing to me (after the shine), is the reduced risk of swirls while applying. Not all modern sealants are low risk but the ones I use are. Swirls happen when something rubs against the paint. That includes wash mitts AND even the best microfiber drying towels. So a wax or sealant that has to be rubbed into the paint is a bigger risk than one that sprays on or goes on without much pressure, same with how any excess is removed. A coating that needs hard rubbing to remove the haze and give the best shine is riskier than one that doesn't. No matter how carefully you clean your car, its common for some dirt to be left in crevaces. And unless you do this in a clean room, dust is settling on the car while the coating sets up and is being removed. The harder and more often you have to rub on the paint, the more swirls you will get. I admit to being fanatical about it; most people don't mind some swirls or the periodic removal of clear coat to remove them.

One of the best sealants for shine, protection and longevity is applied and rubbed vigorously into the paint until it shines. I rejected that because I did not want increased swirls.

I currently use Black Fire Wet Diamond which I almost refused to buy just for the stupid name. It lasts a medium amount of time but has incredible shine and is resistant to bird, bug and plant stains. I accept the less than maximum life span because it goes on with no rubbing, just lightly spreading on the paint, but most importantly, the haze is removed with almost no pressure. You can almost do it by just dragging a microfiber over the paint by its edge. I think there are other similar sealants but I haven't been motivated to try them since I can't see much room for improvement.

I did just order a new spray on sealant that I think might give as good a shine but I suspect last shorter and have no idea about bug/bird/plant protection until its put to the test. I'm going to do one half of a car with it and the other with Wet Diamond and see how they compare. I will switch if the shine is as good and if it protects against the organic contaminants as well even if it only lasts half as long because it will save on swirls and the total effort would be similar (its easier to spray and wipe than rub on and wipe).

Not sealant related but I am about to try a coating that is better than any sealant. I plan to use it as a base and possibly use sealant on top of it. There are a few of these products and they basically form a MUCH MUCH harder, thicker layer than any sealant or wax. Users report incredible shine (which keeps on increases over a week long curing time). That will be a bonus but my main goal is have a coating so tough, nothing short of sandpaper can scratch the clear coat. I've been putting it off because its procedure is extremely demanding and I need to get my nerve up because I understand its so tough, its a real bear to fix if you do it wrong. LoL

This is a picture of a black Mustang roof that has a coat of Black Fire. Its not mine but non metalic black cars show shine better than other colors or any metalic. Still you can't really tell much by pictures. You need to see first hand.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Hey HD, most interested in your Black Fire write up. Like you, I've been a long time Zaino user. Zaino was actually around the corner from me when I lived in NJ, but I got into it from the BMW forums. Anyway, as I age, I've been looking for similar sealant processes that would be easier on this old bod and that would maintain a good shine and reasonable durability. BTW, thank goodness I'm not as O/C about detailing my cars as I used to be. I have bought Black Fire to give the newer sealants a try, but a couple of things are holding me back. A few months ago I Zainoed (topping off with Zaino Clearcoat and Grand Finale for an unreal finish) both of my cars and just can't bring myself to try the new stuff until some of the Zaino protection/shine wears off...which, as you know, can take quite a long time. Furthermore, I plan to clay (another process that I have to get up for) before using the BF.

I'll probably do my Z4 first as it is merlot (maroonish) in color and should just about "glow" after the BF application. The ATS is a very unpopular color (wife's drive and I let her choose the color to keep her happy,) Glacier Blue, and most likely won't show the shine as well as the darker Z4. I'm sort of getting used to the color as I haven't seen any in my neck of the woods in SE FL, and the color doesn't show dirt (not that I let the car get that dirty). And lastly, as I look and touch the ATS' finish, I get the impression that the surface is very "hard" and "ceramic-like," especially when compared to my 2005 Z4 and the traded-in 2002 325. Anyone else get this impression?

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by EricEst1978
    After having this recommended by an amazing detailer here in Dallas, I swear by this stuff for hand washing: http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-R...rinse+car+wash I'd be happy to discuss my method with this stuff if anyone is interested.
    I concur that ONR is an excellent product. I have been using it for a few years. I normally shop at detailedimage.com which also features great how-to detailing articles. Make sure to read up on the proper method for washing using a rinseless product such as ONR.

[QUOTE=listrats;12177729]
    Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Grand Finale Spray is truly amazing. Spray some on a panel and wipe on with a MF. No need to buff as it self-dries (cures) to a great shine and the smoothest surface feel there is. May not last too long, but really cool stuff while it is doing its thing.[COLOR="Silver"]

Is this an additional layer of protection this "sealer"? By not last long do you mean the sine or the protection? Theoretically, if its another layer of protection than the next wash should be easier correct?
    Not really another layer of protection. Somehow, without the use of oils or silicon, I believe that Grand Finale enhances the shine by smoothing out the surface and thus reducing optical distortion. Not sure just how long the effect lasts, but usually from weekly car wash to car wash. It is used after each wash, like a quick detailer.

If one wanted to give Zaino a try, but doesn't want to go through a lot of steps (maybe sacrificing some durability-like getting 3-4 months protection rather than 6-9 months protection, I'd suggest he following:

1. Wash/dry car
    2. Apply Zaino AIO (All in one). Wipe on, wipe off
    3. Zaino Clear Coat
    1-3 is good for at least 3-4 months
    4. Top off with Grand Finale after each car wash ti enhance shine but not durability

And yes, there are several similar products out there that will also do a good job, but I just haven't used them in the last 14 years.

Jakb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have not detailed the ATS yet as I only got just before winter but will be doing so in a month or so
    However what I have learned over the years is not to touch black and leave it to professionals
    My friend who makes a living detailing cars will be doing it and here' what he uses for black

Washing
    Sunlight + Zep's Citrus Degreaser
    AutoGlym Active Insect Remover
    AutoGlym Intensive Tar Remover
    AutoGlym Engine and Machine Cleaner
    Various wash mitts, sponges
    Stoner's Invisible Glass
    Riccardo Blue Clay
    Elegance Waterless Wash
    Elegance Clay Lube
    Elegance Wheel Cleaner
    Iron-X
    Various brushes

Correction
    Meguiar's #105
    Meguiar's #205
    Various Microfibers
    Flex Rotary 3403
    Porter Cable XP7424
    White Lake Country CCS pad
    Black Lake Country CCS pad
    Red Lake Country CCS pad
    Blue Lake Country CCS pad

Protection
    Black Fire Gloss Enhancing Polish
    BlackFire Wet Diamond all Paint Sealant
    Zymol Concours
    Wolf's Body Wrap (wheels)
    Elegance Engine Dressing
    Aquapel
    Black Wow
    303 Aerospace Protectant
    AutoGlym Leather Cleaner and Balm
    Chemical Guys New Car Smell
    Poorboy's World Bold 'N Bright

And my car after he was done

----------

I personally use Autoglym products exclusively and I get great results , I prefer waxes for my summer only cars and sealant for my DD
    here is my old E36 M3 after detailing this is a 1999 with original paint

Check out the shine
    End of summer detail

Spring detail

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Hey HD, most interested in your Black Fire write up. Like you, I've been a long time Zaino user. Zaino was actually around the corner from me when I lived in NJ, but I got into it from the BMW forums. Anyway, as I age, I've been looking for similar sealant processes that would be easier on this old bod and that would maintain a good shine and reasonable durability. BTW, thank goodness I'm not as O/C about detailing my cars as I used to be. I have bought Black Fire to give the newer sealants a try, but a couple of things are holding me back. A few months ago I Zainoed (topping off with Zaino Clearcoat and Grand Finale for an unreal finish) both of my cars and just can't bring myself to try the new stuff until some of the Zaino protection/shine wears off...which, as you know, can take quite a long time. Furthermore, I plan to clay (another process that I have to get up for) before using the BF.
    I definitely would not waste the time effort and product if my car was Zainoed! Wait till its time to redo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I definitely would not waste the time effort and product if my car was Zainoed! Wait till its time to redo.

Thanks for the confirmation; and I might add, with a few words you have given an excellent endorsement for Zaino ("Wait till its time to redo,") which can be a longggg time. Now all I have to do is to hold myself back from grabbing the BF anyway.

Maxplot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium ATS 3.6 - Crystal Red, 2013 SRX Platinum Ice

Quote Originally Posted by listrats View Post
    So I figured I would start a thread regarding washing and maintaining our vehicles.

I am no pro with the products I used but I do spend 3-4 hours a week cleaning inside and out.

I used Meguiar's ultimate wash and wax. Apparently it has some wax in it and it definitely seems to sud more and shine more than some of my old turtle wax car champoos. Seems a bit expensive though. Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
    Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax is a good product and goes well with the other Ultimate series products. I use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax and Ultimate Quick Wax. It drys without a white residue and comes off easily. It looks and lasts as long as Zaino at a fraction of the cost and easy availability. I have tried them all, and for ease, cost and durability I go with the Meguiars stuff.

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Like Max I'm also a Meguire's Ultimate line (wash/wax/detailer) user and 303 for the interior surfaces and tires. Not trying to compare with other products as to what is better just what I use and am very pleased with and is easy to use with great results. I garage the car at home and at work, clean/wax/detail often so long lasting protection due to elements is not a priority.

rspitler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 Premium Crystal Red Tintcoat ATS
    I use a combination of Surf City Garage products for washing and detailing. I've also used some of the Adams Polish products in the past.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Exterior, no-rinse method (estimated completion time: 10-15 minutes)

1. Wait for a hot day with direct sun. (It will dry faster this way.)
    2. Dig my hose out of the back garden. Knock most of the mud off the sprayer end.
    3. Quick rinse, top to bottom.
    4. Find a rag in the garage with the least oil and paint on it.
    5. Wipe car clean in a vigorous, circular motion. For droppings or tar, use Dawn detergent. Find a scratchy spot of the rag with dried paint, and apply plenty of elbow grease.

When done, it should be so shiny at this point that you can almost tell there is something in the reflection when you stand next to your car! Admire the "fun house mirror" effect the swirls have in sunlight.

Interior

1. Open all doors, trunk and hood.
    2. Using the same rag as before, wipe and dry around the doors and seals. If you haven't already, now is the time to re-fold the rag to a clean area, and grab another 6-pack.
    3. The rag should still be moist enough to wipe off the worst of the smoke haze from the inside glass. If the nicotine is persistent, yell at one of the kids to bring you that Easy-Off from under the sink. Hit the inside windshield with the oven cleaner, and make sure to over spray onto the dash. Wait 5 minutes and wipe down. This does an excellent job of maintaining the anti-glare properties of the dashboard vinyl.
    4. Lift the front edge of each floor mat and carefully sweep debris up under it. After some time, you may notice a hump of gravel, sand, pine needles, dead leaves and candy bar wrappers form. Just spread it evenly under the mat and enjoy the soft, cushion-y feel.
    5. You're almost done! Give the seats a quick swipe, and in particular even out the coffee and soda stains on the leather surfaces. For chocolate or PB&J (or grease from when you changed the transmission in the old Z-28 and then sat in the Cadillac), just use some more Dawn.
    6. Provide weeks of freshness in your like-new ATS by tucking a few dryer sheets (used is fine) up under the passenger seat.
    Hoosier Daddy and GJB like this.

And the #1 detailing secret: rubbing a car down with kerosene every few day to restore shine after years (or even days) of the Davis method.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

I wasn't going to give that one away just yet!

Well done, DD. I think the only thing you forgot to put into your excellent car detailing protocol was to be sure to drop the rag several times in the driveway gravel to ensure better swirls...BTW, really doesn't matter whether the rag is dry or wet, although I do find that a dry rag is more efficient.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.