Smell in interior
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Smell in interior in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; About a month ago I was transporting some dogs in my vehicle. Well now I have this smell in my ...
    Fleetwood Blaq is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Smell in interior

About a month ago I was transporting some dogs in my vehicle. Well now I have this smell in my car that will not go away. I have sprayed the inside down and even took it to a detail shop. But the smell is still there. Does anyone know any good carpet/upholstery seat cleaners. The guy at the detail shop said that the smell soaked down to the foam under the carpet The smell I have is a mix of wet dog and clothes that have not had the chance to dry. HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Smell in interior

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood Blaq
    About a month ago I was transporting some dogs in my vehicle. Well now I have this smell in my car that will not go away. I have sprayed the inside down and even took it to a detail shop. But the smell is still there. Does anyone know any good carpet/upholstery seat cleaners. The guy at the detail shop said that the smell soaked down to the foam under the carpet The smell I have is a mix of wet dog and clothes that have not had the chance to dry. HELP
    The first thing you need to do is allow the interior to dry completely. As long as it remains moist the smell will remain as well. Fresh air, some sunlight and time are your best allies here. Once it has dried completely you can try some products such as Fabreez to help further clean up the odor. Worst case would be to remove the seats and carpets to allow drying/cleanup but that would be a lot of work and you may have trouble getting the carpet back in place neatly.

KDSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hey buddy, i kinda have the same problem as you but the rear end of my escalade is burnt from somebody trying to blow it up!!....I have the smell of gasoline and smoke and it has soaked right into my carpets/foam and leather interior...i am fighting with my province because they say they can deoterize the carpet and it will smell fine after , i know it will not! Let me know if u find a way to clean it!
    stressed out....
    kd

KDSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

another thing my truck has sat at a compund for the last month with no rear window and it has rained buckets in there and the SMELL IS STILL THERE....it smells like a gas can with a bit of smoke! I dont think airing it out will always help!! but u never know until u try!

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

It isn't just a smell, it's a presence...It's an entity...It's the Beast!

Are you able to take the seats out, disconnect any electrical parts, and then wash them down and then let them air out overnight? That might work out.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

I had the same problem in my Exploder after I transported my sister's dogs. It was unbelievable. It would NOT go away. After many soakings of Febreeze the smell finally went away.

When I restored the Caddy (flood total) it smelled like swamp. The carpet must've weighed 150 lbs. because it was soaked with muddy water. Then I washed the carpet itself and the foam backing with a pressure washer (with a low pressure tip) using a carpet detergent that I got from www.topoftheline.com. I let it dry completely and then sprayed it with Microban to kill any mold or mildew that might try to form.

The car smells fine inside. It has a lingering stale smoke smell from the previous owner, but nothing swampy at all.

Jim

Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Go to you your local veterinarian's shop or a Pet Store and look for a spray or brush detergent that is designed to ELIMINATE dog and cat odours/urine/fecal smells - these smells are "bio" in nature and the sprays you can now get contain ENZYMES that will "EAT" the offending odour.

Originally designed as a means of discouraging repeat offenders (like FIDO and MITTENS) from returning to the place they marked their spot, this also works well for car interiors,both carpet and upholstered seats.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Frost
    Go to you your local veterinarian's shop or a Pet Store and look for a spray or brush detergent that is designed to ELIMINATE dog and cat odours/urine/fecal smells - these smells are "bio" in nature and the sprays you can now get contain ENZYMES that will "EAT" the offending odour.

Originally designed as a means of discouraging repeat offenders (like FIDO and MITTENS) from returning to the place they marked their spot, this also works well for car interiors,both carpet and upholstered seats.
    The most popular is called "Nature's Miracle" and it's made for 'accidents' including urine, feces and vomit. I'm not sure if the smell the original poster is referring to is due to an 'accident'.

I also have some stuff called ChemSpec that is an enzyme cleaner designed for commercial carpet extractors. The pros use it to clean restaruant and other high-traffic carpets. I got it on the web somewhere. I haven't used it in the car, but it works awesome in the house on anything organic (for both stains and to eliminate bad smells). It's a powder that you dilute with water. I put it in a little Hoover steam cleaner.

Jim

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy
    The most popular is called "Nature's Miracle" and it's made for 'accidents' including urine, feces and vomit. I'm not sure if the smell the original poster is referring to is due to an 'accident'.
    That IS good stuff. I've had to use several gallons of it before. It's a pleasant odor that eventually goes away.

Whatever you have in there stinking things up is ORGANIC. You need to attack it in an ORGANIC way. Enzymatic action is the ONLY way to go. You can buy "Nature's Miracle" and other stuff like it at a PETCO or any other national chain pet store.

You might need to make two or three applications of it, but I highly recommend it.

rollman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS

What did the detailer do to it ? and where are you located ?

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Hey guys, remember science class? Where do odors come from? In most cases it is either moisture or gaseous particles emanating from their source. (Yeah, I know...EEWW!!) We inhale these particles and taste them..... Mmmmm, YUMMY!!

Thus it is important and often very effective to;
    1. Remove the source of the smell.
    and
    2. Allow any contaminated articles to dry completely or, in the case of gasoline or other evaporative substances, to allow total evaporation.

These simple steps should eliminate 80 to 90% of the odors, the remainder will eventually wear off and can easily be masked with the freshener of your choice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.