Ugly white vinyl roof....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Ugly white vinyl roof.... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; When we first bought this car, the white vinyl roof obviously needed a good cleaning, but wasn't like it is ...
    caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Ugly white vinyl roof....

When we first bought this car, the white vinyl roof obviously needed a good cleaning, but wasn't like it is now. Back then, we knew from experience that a good scrub with bleach worked wonders on the white vinyl roof on the Roadmaster we had just bought a few months before, so repeated the same process and before long, the Fleetwood's factory white vinyl roof was a flawless white--no kidding.

Stayed that way for over a year and I constantly applied protectant every time I washed it, and then by last year (we bought it in July of 2003), I started noticing it getting gray. Not gray in a dirty/mildew sense per say, but almost as if I had rubbed the finish off or something, but I wasn't sure how.

Jump forward to the 2 year ownership mark now, and it looks worse than it ever did before. I've been about as nice to it as possible from a care standpoint, but we have no garage and the car sits outside 24/7/365, though away from any trees, etc.

Another anomaly is how, even with most of it being gray-ish, right near the seams it is still perfect bright white and there's also a strange white square patch in the middle of it. Even weirder, in the past few months, these weird gray streaks have no also appeared down each side, even though it was mainly only the top that was gray before.

Shape wise, it's not ripped, cracked, torn, or loose anywhere, and if it were some color other than white, you'd probably never notice the "graying". I've tried various cleaners and nothing seems to work anymore, so unless someone else has a really good suggestion, I think it's just going to need repainted/re-dyed. As I said, the vinyl is technically in perfect shape, just the white color isn't.

Take a look:

Anyone else ever have "graying" problems, or the finish wearing off? I'm really not sure what happened, but really getting tired of the ratty look...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Ugly white vinyl roof....

Anyone?? I'm still baffled as to whether the finish is actually worn off, or something very funny has soaked in or stained etc., given the very strange gray patched. It'd be one thing if every square inch was gray, but like I said, it's still perfectly white within about 1" of every seems....weird...

wht2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

You don't want to hear this, but I think that top is toast. I had the same problem years ago on a '75 Monte Carlo....the white vinyl looked just like yours. Ended up ripping it of and getting it replaced. As to what causes it, I never found out. Strange about those white strips along the seams. I wonder if maybe the vinyl is doubled-up where it's stitched?

Ken

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Maybe you could dye it and buy another year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by wht2000
    You don't want to hear this, but I think that top is toast. I had the same problem years ago on a '75 Monte Carlo....the white vinyl looked just like yours. Ended up ripping it of and getting it replaced. As to what causes it, I never found out. Strange about those white strips along the seams. I wonder if maybe the vinyl is doubled-up where it's stitched?

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Maybe you could dye it and buy another year or two?

I know...but I guess that's to be expected for a 12 year old car that sits outside 24/7/365...

Wonder how much it would cost just to get it repainted/re-dyed by a vinyl top/upholstery shop?

Well, after pretty much coming to the conclusion that the only way I was ever going to have a nice looking roof again was to have it re-dyed or replaced (or, just rip the dang thing off....), had a change of events today and a GREAT result.

Simply put, it's ALL fixed now, and back to a beautiful bright white again!

It's been quite rainy and gray outside for a few days now, and the "graying" of the roof that you saw in the pics had gotten even worse, to a level so bad that it was nearly black in some places and just plain disgusting in others. Still couldn't figure out just what the heck was wrong with it, and based on various opinions, people seemed to think the finish was wearing off and/or the glue/padding going bad underneath and leaking through--turned out, neither was true.

To make a long story short, even my father realized how nasty it looked today and decided we'd try the "bleach scrub" method we had done when we first bought it. He mixed some bleach and a little water in a bucket, put on a thick glove and old clothes and started scrubbing with a kitchen scouring pad. At first, I didn't think it was working, but before long, BAM and it was getting white again! So, in the end, came to find that all the "nastiness" was actually just some pretty bad mildew that had formed after the car sat idle awhile in the driveway without much cleaning effort.

I've been told the "bleach scrub" probably isn't the best of ideas for a vinyl roof, but it's the ONLY thing that has ever worked to clean either one of our cars and, trust me, I've tried EVERYTHING known to man as far as cleaning products.

Here's some before and afters, just to show how DIFFERENT and normal it looks again :coolgleam :

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Now, just gotta work on keeping it that way again......

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

Congrats, I know you're glad you got to the bottom of the problem and all it required was some bleach and water.

I know....now I need some suggestions on how to KEEP it this way. It was good for about the first year and a half, then it all went to hell in the past 6 months or so, and I'm not too sure why.

Anyone else with a white vinyl roof that's outside 24/7/365 have any tips on what to do and/or what to use? I have 303 Aerospace Protectant and have used that before, but it seems too "light" and likes to run/streak right off even with morning dew. Others have said Mop N' Glow, or something, before, but I'm unsure whether or not to go that route....

theGman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '96 FWB; '96 STS

Thanks for your post; I have a '95 FWB, white top and will try the bleachitation soon.

mccombie_5 is offline Cadillac Owners Master

What about a cover for the car?

It might protect it fromt he elements

http://www.carcovers.com/photos/2004...r_cover_01.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.