Cleaning glass
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Cleaning glass in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Just pickd up a 2000 Escalade and I'm having problems getting the windshield clean. It looks like the previous owner ...
    wht2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

Question Cleaning glass

Just pickd up a 2000 Escalade and I'm having problems getting the windshield clean. It looks like the previous owner either sprayed something on or used far too much Rain-X or the like on it. No matter what I do or use, I can't get the windshield clean (on the outside) There is always some type of film left....to the point that it looks hazy in the sun. Anybody out there have any ways of really getting the glass clean? What about taking it to an auto glass place? Do they have some type of super-cleaner? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course, there's always the stray "brick thru the windshield" trick (since I have full glass coverage) but that's a bit extreme. Thanks again.

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

malcolm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Re: Cleaning glass

Try amonia or white vinegar, both are good glass cleaners. Do a quick web search for glass cleaning solutions.

I'll try that tonight when I get home from work (if it's not raining....they're saying t-storms for later) Glad she's in the garage....took the Altima into work today!!

Boombotz is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade, 06 SRX

Let us know how that works. Try a small spot in the corner to see if it doesn't get worse. Before you do the whole windshield

Well, I tried both the ammonia and the vinegar....no good. I guess a trip to SafeLite is in order. I'll be damned if I can figure out what the heck it is. Someone at work told me to stop at an appliance store and pick up a bottle of the stuff they use to clean glass cooktops with. He claimed it will destroy anything on a glass surface. Maybe I should try that first.....I don't know......I'm stumped. I've never seen this problem before.

Boombotz is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade, 06 SRX

Some of the guys I work with have ruined there eyeglasses from Freon coming in contact with the glasses when working on A/C units. I don't know if that is your problem, just a thought. It did create a white haze over the lenses.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Try using a product like Bon Ami. It will clean just about anything from glass. Just don't let it get all over your paint. Keep a hose close by, if some drips on the paint, just hose it off. It the Bon Ami doesn't work, nothing will.

Don

v-Power is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Try a glass ploish or a car polish (Swirl Remover) very mild abarasives this will do the trick try a corner then the whole thing. This will NOT scratch your window as long you don't rub in 1 place for for longer than a min or 2. You should not have to work to hard with this product. I have had a detail shop for years and its what i use for stubborn bug and tree sap.

v-Power is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Another great product is a clay bar. just make sure you have a lubricant for EX soapy water..

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

You can clay your windshield, 0000 steel wool and Bon-Ami work well, several comapnies make good glass polishes, all will work.

I've tried just about everything I can think of....even the Bon Ami with 0000 steel wool and a Scotchbrite pad....nothing worked. I went to SafeLite on Saturday but they closed early. I still have to try that glass cook-top cleaning stuff. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a spray-on UV coating? I just started thinking over the weekend (should of had another Pilsner Urquell instead) wondering if that's what it could be. I'll try the auto glass place again, too. Any other ideas??

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Can you get some photos of the area? It may be easier to help, if we all can see what it looks like.

Don

If it ever stops raining up here, I'll be glad to see if I could take some pix. I found this product on the web called "Janvil Glass Restore". It's a 3 part system that is supposed to refinish glass and remove scratches, haze, hard water stains, acid rain stains. Do a search for it. I think I'll order it and see what happens. I think the cost is around $30.00. I'll let you all know when it arrives. If the weather clears up, I'll try to get some pix posted here.

roquesr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

stray bricks keep your glass looking like new

Quote Originally Posted by roquesr
    stray bricks keep your glass looking like new
    Don't think I haven't thought of that....only problem with that is I only have the vehicle 2 weeks....I bet my insurance guy would freak!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.