Cloth roof repair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Cloth roof repair in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a '97 SLS with a cloth top. Across the roof just in front of the rear window is ...
    Big Jake is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cloth roof repair

I have a '97 SLS with a cloth top.

Across the roof just in front of the rear window is cloth seam, you might call it a ridge as it sticks up maybe 3/8 inch, that has torn loose. Looks like the thread may have come loose.

Since I can push this back in place do you think super glue would fix it? Or is there a more proper way?

Thanks for your help,
    Big Jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    I'd call some body shops or glass shops that do vinyl roofs. They'd probably know those ones too and know how to deal with it. Superglue might work but it might also do something damaging to it overtime.

bob2231 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Cloth roof repair

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jake
    I have a '97 SLS with a cloth top.

Across the roof just in front of the rear window is cloth seam, you might call it a ridge as it sticks up maybe 3/8 inch, that has torn loose. Looks like the thread may have come loose.

Since I can push this back in place do you think super glue would fix it? Or is there a more proper way?

Thanks for your help,
    Big Jake
    I have a similar problem around my windows. A seam has opened and the white backing shows. I also considered super glue, but I'm worried that it will change the color. It's actually a fairly powerful chemical.
    Think twice about using it. I need to get serious about finding the right stuff, and I'll let you know.
    Bob

geigs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Replacement might be needed

My car has the same problem. I took it to a few places that put those roofs on for the dealer and was told that it can't be fixed for two reasons: 1. It is sewn from the inside out meaning there is another trim piece in there that would need to come out, thereby ruining the back of the roof. 2. With my particular car, the roof is also suffering from dry rot. Check to see if there is any green around the molding or edges. This car spent winters in FL. and summers in MD. without garage protection, so the top had a pretty good run. I've gotten an estimate of $695 for vinyl replacement, or $795 for cloth. Both include a 3 year warranty on parts and labor. I've attached a picture of the car, so you can see how even a well-maintained car can develop problems with the cloth roof. Also, I posted some close-up pictures of the damaged roof area on another thread: Duking up a '94 Concourse 4door DeVille http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...8&goto=newpost
    Attached Images

memphis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    If you want it to help it last for a while longer, and push off
    the complete replacement, my standby is Devcon 5 minute
    epoxy. Its a great general adhesive. Much better than superglue.

91 Eldo TC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): El Dawg

Re: Cloth roof repair

My roof was peeling up in the front and it was fixed using windshield glue.The clips that hold on my roof had broke and it couldn't be fixed because pulling off the top would have ruined it so the body shop came up with the idea of using windshield sealant..that was two years ago and my roof is still on with no chance of ever coming off.I have a pheaton cloth roof and it is still perfect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.