Can't find my original post, but wood dash related
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Can't find my original post, but wood dash related in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ,,,,I finally finished with the wood dash install on my '97 Deville. You may remember that I wanted to surround ...
    Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

Can't find my original post, but wood dash related

,,,,I finally finished with the wood dash install on my '97 Deville. You may remember that I wanted to surround the wood trim pieces on the door panels with a thin strip of leather, dyed to match the interior. This was more for my own edification as I thought it gave a more finished look to the product, rather than just sticking the wood trim onto the plastic portions. Well, I now have the pics ready, but once again can't figger out how to get them on this site. If anyone can help out, my email is dave.sherar@pwgsc.gc.ca and I'll send the pics to them for posting up here. Thanks in advance,,,,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Re: Can't find my original post, but wood dash related

If your pics are smaller than 800x600, you should be able to load them up here as an attachment to your post.

When you respond, click the "Go Advanced" button below, then "Manage Attachments" then browse your disk and select the pictures you want.

If you're rejected because the pictures are too big, PM me and I'll shrink them for you.

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '06 CTS

IF you can still e-mail me frost ill re-size and post them just like i did your dyed steering wheel and Caddillac script brake-light. I would love to see the wood kit.

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '06 CTS

Here are the pics sent to me by Frost of his dash kit. It looks great Frost! you truely cant tell where the factory trim ends and the kit begins. And the blue trim you added really finishes it all off. I think ill have to get a kit for my '96 SLS.
    Attached Images

Thx HighonChai for the compliments! Those snaps are pretty washed-out looking, so something must have pooched-up with my camera. The real thing is alot more colourful,,,,,the dark montana blue contrasts sharply with the woodgrain. While the leather strips certainly give the end product a more finished/factory look, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have alot of time and more importantly PATIENCE.

I took the car to a Caddy dealer the other day for a complimentary carwash promo they had on (big tit'd women with wet t-shirts, washmits and lots 'o suds) and the sales-weenies went ga-ga over the upgraded interior - wanted to know if it was some rare manufacturer's option they'd never seen up here in Canada on an American-built Cad......

So I guess it was "Mission Accomplished" as far as getting that factory look, eh?

adam_mcd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

...the more wood grain the better. damn fine job, and damn fine customizing too.

have you seen those wood grain rims?

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

I have, and my question for anyone buying them would be this. What happens if you accidently park next to a termite mound, or live in an area with an over-abundent woodchuck population?

Yeah, I've seen those woodgrain rims and they're right up there with the zircon-encrusted ones as far as price is concerned.... I still have the factory rims for the '97. They were pristine until I started using EAGLE 1 wheel cleaner on them to remove brake dust.

Well, thanks alot EAGLE, your claim that the product is 100% safe for all wheels, clearcoat, etc. is BS. The clearcoat on the spokes is now flaking off faster than I can catch it. Now I'll have to either replace the rims sooner than I was planning with some aftermarket ones, or bite the bullet and have the originals redone. Either way I'll be spending money I hadn't planned on spending at this time.

I agree wholeheartedly on the more woodgrain the better. I'm trying to find a donor glovebox door at the local boneyard that I can practice putting some Cocobolo wood veneer on (cocobolo is an exact match for the factory woodgrain and alot easier to find at the lumberyards). Once I have the look I want (for both the front/top and the sides of the door), then I'll graft it onto the one in the car. I know I really should do up the inside of the door as well, but we'll see how much enthusiasm and spare veneer I have left over) There's also a coupla small panels along the length of the lower dash that are just sitting there, begging to be covered in this veneer, but I''ll have to reconnoiter how they all look together before committing to their install. I can get the exact gloss match to the factory woodgrain by laying down 5-7 coats of lacquer, sanding between coats with ever finer grits.

Thanks again for the positive comments - they keep people like me going.

Forgot to mention one last item though,,,,that wood/leather steering wheel in the picture useddto be grey and I re-dyed it to Dark Montana Blue. The company that sent me the dye sent enough to do at least 2 full interiors!!! I plan to dye a good batch of leather with the same or similar texture to whats already in the car, and then go through it, covering over or replacing the vinyl (door sill plates, seatbelt shroud on the floor, rear A/C housing, etc. Finally, I'd like to get a nice piece of suede and cover the upper dash with it. Don't know if the dye they sent will work on suede tho,,,,,h

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.