Cadillac Owners Forum banner
26K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  mike98c 
#1 ·
I have a lot of the stuff to use up, and I have heard bad things about it. I want this controversy over with! Why would they make it if it cracks tires, dashes, engine hoses, weatherstripping, etc. I am tired of using No Touch "Wet and Protect" on my dash to be safe, when I want to use up the Armor All. What are your experiences with Armor All? Any long-term users?

#2 ·
Ralph said:
I have a lot of the stuff to use up, and I have heard bad things about it. I want this controversy over with! Why would they make it if it cracks tires, dashes, engine hoses, weatherstripping, etc. I am tired of using No Touch "Wet and Protect" on my dash to be safe, when I want to use up the Armor All. What are your experiences with Armor All? Any long-term users?

I do not know personally if AA will crack your dash, we have had many customers that have made that claim over the years because it was the only thing that they used on their interiors. I personally do not like it on interiors because it attracts dust because it is a silicone oil, and I did not like it on the tires because it would fling down the side of the car. I think I still have a gallon or two left, I was able to give a few gallons away.

#3 ·
I never heard of AA causing cracks.
I use it and think it's OK but I don't put gobs of it on. I can show you plenty of cracked dashes that never had AA on them.
One of the things that made me move to Az was climbing over a snow bank to get in my car one subzero morning and having the vinyl seat crack as I leaned on it! That was in 75 or 76 and I wasn't using AA.

#4 ·
They sell the stuff because it makes it look nice......

I wouldnt use it either...... I like the "new look", not the freshly crisco-ed look AA gives......

To be honest, I think using armor all on rubber and plastic is OK...... I wouldnt use it on leather, vinyl, or the dash (which I realize is leather or vinyl)...... Id use it on tires...... Even if it does crack it, you shouldnt have tires that long anyway......

#6 ·
They way I've always heard it was it's the silicone in armorall that does the damage. It takes the natural moisture out of the vinyl or rubber or whatever you're using it on. Water based stuff doesn't do damage and petroleum based stuff is supposed to be OK too because that's what rubber and vinyl type things are anyway. There was a post about vinyl roofs a few weeks ago that I think has some information about this in it.

#8 ·
The silicone will settle into interior stuff, but it wont on exterior rubber (DONT, repeat DONT PUT IT ON HOSES!!!), instead it sticks and repels dirt and water.....

#10 ·
ccreamer said:
Use 303 Aerospace Protectant - this stuff rocks. Silicone free, it is like sunscreen for your vinyl/rubber. If you like the high gloss look, use two coatings of it, if you don't then leave it on overnight and wipe it up the next day.

You can get it direct from the manufacturer - www.303products.com.

Cory
Thanks for the suggestion. I am happy using AA provided we have dispelled all the rumors about cracking.

#11 ·
Is there anything that works better on tires on armor all? The stuff they use at the car wash i go to works and shine great. When I wash it myself the armor all doesnt looks as good, the stuff they use doesnt spary, they squirt it on a towel and wipe. Does anyone know of something like this?

#12 ·
There are many products out there than use this.... Eagle one makes a gel stuff that you apply with a rag..... There is also a much easier foam stuff, which you just spray on and let it dry.... The gel lasts much longer, but Id pick the foam since it works equally good and it takes 5 seconds to use.....

Be careful not to apply too much, as when you drive it will spray up in your wheel wells and on your paint.......

#13 ·
Ralph said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I am happy using AA provided we have dispelled all the rumors about cracking.

did we read the same posts? :bonkers: :helpless:

i did find some good use for the good-ol armor-all: spray the weeds with it ... :yup: :yup: :yup:

#14 ·
Yeah... The water beads right off..... :D

#15 ·
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Ralph
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph, Believe me when I say that Armor All is the worst possible thing that you could put on your dash, seats....etc. I use it on tires ONLY! It's garbage..The only reason I use it on tires is because I get an unlimited supply of it free. and because my truck has 32 tires.

#17 ·
Has anyone used turtle wax 2001?? Green bottle.....?

I used it on my tires and rubber things, and it seems to work pretty good! I put some on the dash, and it cleaned it up pretty good......

#18 ·
"Has anyone used turtle wax 2001?? Green bottle.....?"

Yes......Slightly better than Armor All ( Maybe ) But not really all that good for the interior. I've used it on tires as well. I strongly recommend a product called Nu-Vinyl It's a little hard to find but well worth the search. I do not use this product on tires ( It's way too good for that ) I've seen it at Pep Boys.

#19 ·
The turtle wax stuff works good on the dash..... It doesnt have the greasy look as much as armor all, but it does shine somewhat.....

Glass/surface cleaner takes it off (the shiney look of the 2001), and then your left with a brand new looking dashboard!!

#20 ·
Quote from previous post..."Glass/surface cleaner takes it off (the shiney look of the 2001), and then your left with a brand new looking dashboard!!"

Don't go getting all sensetive on me here Wes! I'm not picking on you......But! The reason that the glass and suface cleaner is taking the shine off is because the product ( Formula 2001 ) is being washed off by the Glass and surface cleaner. so you might as well skip the 2001 and just use the cleaner and save the money on the 2001 protectant that you're washing off with the cleaner thereby neuteralizing any of the presumed benefits of the product! ( 2001 )

Also any glass cleaner WILL in time DRY OUT THE VYNIL causing it to crack and get crappy looking. The moral to this little story is.....NEVER USE GLASS CLEANER ON VYNIL SURFACES!

#22 ·
well I'm going to give this 303 a try. sounds good. and I've been looking for something to Clean/protect my vinyl roof from the sun, it's mint and I want it to stay that way.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it later :2thumbs:

#23 ·
I quit using A/A years ago when a friend at a body shop told me that any slight over spray on the paint, makes it a real pain to repaint....

For leather and a non high gloss vinyl conditioner, try Care 4, you can get it at most leather shops or leather goods retailers. If you must buy the Auto industry stuff, the best I have found is McGuires Leather Conditioner.

The silicone weather stripping conditioner sold by GM under AC/Delco brand name, is exactly what it says, and not meant to be used on other areas....and becareful wiping it on areas that you might rub against getting in or out of your car, it stains clothes and collects dirt. For your tires, the gel seems to work the best, thehigher shine you want apply more coats...it lasts the longest. If you use the sprays and foams, make sure they dry at least fifteen minutes, after your last coat, so you don't sling it all over your caddy :p

G
#24 ·
ok. so as i read this thread, i see NO CONSENSUS on what armor all does to vinyl. i will tell you a story, though. when i was a teenager, i had an 87 LX 5.0 mustywang (hell of a lot faster than my 98. ford SUCKS B%#$S) that was worked to the hilt. needless to say, i beat the living crap out of it daily. raced, street and strip, everytime i got the chance. went through two T-5's and ran out of money for a while. she sat for TWO YEARS outside, NO PROTECTION, windows up... no shade, and a THICK COAT OF ARMOR ALL on the interior AND THE DOOR SURROUND WEATHERSTRIPPING!!!!

when i finally got around to fixing her up and opened the door, the RUBBER AND VINYL looked better than the pictures i had taken when i shut the door two years earlier.

that proves it to me. if you're not using some sort of vinyl protectant, you had better have some REAL GOOD UV resistant tint and park in a garage all year... oh yeah and only drive AT NIGHT.

#25 ·
that is a good point, and I like to use it more for vinyl than leather....

Thats a good story to still use the stuff!!

#26 ·
Good points guys! I have used AA on my half-vinyl roof of my 1980 Pontiac, still no cracks! BUT.......My Caddy that I got from my dad has the original tires and he NEVER used anything on them and they are in perfect physical appearance! I cannot say the same for the Dunlop GT Qualifiers that are on the Pontiac. These were new in 1994, were heavily AA'd for cruising, etc, and have several little cracks! Needless to say, we do not take this car on the highway, just around town. So I still have to wonder about the stuff, despite my weatherstripping is in great shape, and using AA n it also. :bonkers: :cookoo: :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.