Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Table that lists allowable window tints for every state

31K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  dochawk 
#1 ·
Came across this today, thought it migh be a good resource.

(wondering....anyone actually get a ticket for having an illegal tint?)

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

#27 ·
here in Ny they can be strict, depends on where u livin. if ur in a smaller area or rural area where cops have nothing better to do then hassle u over tint , then yea it could cause a problem. but up here in the cities, at least in my imo, they dont hassle you as much, seems as if they have better or more serious things to do. i used to own a grand cherokee with 5 percent all around, bass and all that and never was pulled over.

#29 ·
Yikes....that must have been an expensive couple of months!
I hope it doesn't happen to my wife, her new car has some pretty dark tint all the way around (except windshield). The reciept says the dealership put it on.

#31 ·
that table is innacurrate.
I have experience with tints in 2 states.
first off california does not allow any tint for side windows, I know because I asked to get my fronts tinted and they would not do it, a liability issue if I get pulled over and tell the courts where it was done at. Rear windows on the table are probably accurate as the state does not care how dark you get them tinted.
Ok now for New mexico it says no tints on the front windows.
everyone I see with tinted windows in this state has their front windows tinted at least 70%, the table is wrong about the rear windows. The people I see with tinted windows not only have their sides tinted at least 70%, but the rears are the same shade.
I have no clue about the rest of the states.
police here in new mexico usually arent so petty as to pull you over if your tint is too dark.
In california yes they are pretty petty in the cities i have lived in out their.
well, just thought i'd let you know my experiences with the window tinting laws, not to cause any arguments though.
later

#33 ·
I agree. That table is wrong. I know for a fact that in NY the front sides can't be more than 35% and the rear window can only be tinted beyond that if the car had mirrors on both sides.

#34 ·
I just called up about getting my car tinted, and I asked how dark they tint. This is a pretty big reputable place. They told me 17% is as dark as they go.

Now, wouldn't 17% be VERY dark? Supposedly my state limit is 30% and I really don't want to deal with being pulled over, or have trouble backing up and see'ing at night.

#35 ·
I'd say that's pretty damned dark.

I just got mine tinted 50% and they are dark enough for me. It shouldn't attract cops and no problem driving, backing up at night. Anything darker and I would need to roll my windows down to back up at night. YMMV

3M Ceramic Film

BTW the list is out of date...tintdude states at the bottom of that page:

Updated: Jan 16 2007
These laws may not be current and are often enforced differently by different PD's. In all cases, refer to you local authority for enforcement policies, current laws, rules or regulations. Your current state law is the final authority, not this website! The numbers represent the percentage of light transmitted through the tinted glass, so the lower the number, the darker the film allowed. Generally the films are sold as 5%(limo), 20%(dark), 35%(medium), 50%(light).
S.U.V.s often have different regulations, which are not listed here.

#37 ·
had mine done here in central florida..35%all the way around ,cash only .Ive been pulled over for speeding and they had nothing to say on the tint.On the same subject .My dad and 3 other relatives are cops (nyc and Long island ) all have told me if your getting pulled over to open yer windows , put on the interior light (at night) and take out your keys and put them on the dash ,with both hands on the wheel.Putting an officer at ease will help alot ..just remember most of cops danger comes from traffic stops .

#39 ·
I live in Iowa. We can have 70% in the front and anything in the rear. However, I have a medical exemption for migraine headaches, so I got 35% in the front and 20% in the back. 35% is the lowest you can go in Iowa with a medical exemption, otherwise its 70%! 70% is like no tint at all.

#41 ·
This thread has been dead for 4 years.

The "AS-1" mark is the lower limit of the colored tint on a "tinted windshield". The UV layer can extend all the way to the cowl, but the tint fades to clear at the AS line, thus the "eyebrow" effect.

#42 ·
Living in the desert, tint is for keeping the car cool, not looks . . . and as an attorney, I've never heard of a reasonably tinted car being cited.

Anyway, our CLC chapter went to a demo a couple of weeks ago at one of the top glass shops in town, which was replacing a windshield for a member. While they were they, they showed us a newish "tint" they have.

It is perfectly clear, but blocks 80% of heat.

It's also quite expensive--about $200 for a windshield.

I'm seriously considering coughing it up to protect the dashboard on my ETC. (Keep in mind that I live in an environment where tire tread life doesn't matter, as uv and dryrot finish off your sidewalls long before it's an issue. Very rough on paint and interiors, too).

hawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.