Removing Water Spots In Black Paint
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Removing Water Spots In Black Paint in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; What are some good products to remove hard water spots in black paint? I have a black lade and even ...
    rcgait1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Removing Water Spots In Black Paint

What are some good products to remove hard water spots in black paint? I have a black lade and even though I wash it once a week, when it rains there are all these little water spots, especially on the hood. Also on my rims, which are also black, there are tinny water on them also. I have tried Gold Class wax and it is not removing the spots. Any suggestions out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Removing Water Spots In Black Paint

You could try claying them, or white vinegar on a cotton towel, if that does not work get a bottle of 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover, it's best applied with a buffer like the Porter Cable, but can be used by hand. It will take some time but this process does work.

Sycosis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yeah claying usually works. It's alot of work. When you do get them out, only hand wash and keep it well waxed using carnuba wax not polish. Same for your wheels.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Bird poop leaves the same type of etching, and is just as hard to get rid of.

I'll never own another black car as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycosis
    Yeah claying usually works. It's alot of work. When you do get them out, only hand wash and keep it well waxed using carnuba wax not polish. Same for your wheels.
    Carnauba wax or synthetic waxes, they are all prone to water etching depending on the minerials in the water at the time.

rollman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS

On your black paint the best thing is a 3 step wash system. It works better then clay with out any chance of marring .

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

Its super easy to do and you'll love the results.

BTW Polish is where you get the shine ,you get the most gloss from your wax with a finally polished finish. Cleaning and polishing the paint is where the shine comes from
    , the wax and sealant is really just a sacrifical barrier you put on to protect the shine that is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by rollman
    On your black paint the best thing is a 3 step wash system. It works better then clay with out any chance of marring .

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

Its super easy to do and you'll love the results.

BTW Polish is where you get the shine ,you get the most gloss from your wax with a finally polished finish. Cleaning and polishing the paint is where the shine comes from
    , the wax and sealant is really just a sacrifical barrier you put on to protect the shine that is already there.

I have clayed all types of cars, if you use clay properly you will never damage your cars finish, the product you link to uses an acid wash, that goes back to the 50's technology.

ridethewave96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    I have clayed all types of cars, if you use clay properly you will never damage your cars finish, the product you link to uses an acid wash, that goes back to the 50's technology.

That is not accurate. The Finish Kare System was developed within the last 20 years. Audi as one company has used the Finish Kare product to restore aprox 8000 cars that were damaged do to a scrubber failure at a near by plant. Clay repairs the symtoms not the cause.

http://www.fk1usa.com/Decontaminatio...20Brochure.pdf

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

As a owner of a Black 98 ETC let me share my experience. I have found that two things cause spotting that will get worse over time. First, washing your car by hand in the blazing hot sun -> very bad, washing your car at a car wash place and it doesn't get properly dried, leaving water on the paint and then the sun, well, it takes care of the rest -> very bad. Finally, If I don't towel my car off imediatley after washing (I use the nonfiberous shami cloths) it will spot no matter sunlight or not. Once I've washed it and wiped it down, I immediatley apply a full coat of McGuire's Tech Wax. It dries really fast and doesn't take much elbow grease to get out. The best part is that it protects the paint from spotting. I repeat this 1/month from early spring till late fall. I know it's obsessive but if you saw the paint on my car you would never believe it's been outside a day in it's life (minus roadchips and such).

All I've ever hear about clays, swhirl remover, and profesionally buffing, from my friend who owns a detailing business is that while it does make the paint look better, it also wears down the clearcoat, hence the reason it looks better, you're refreshing the surface. Problem is by doing this you weaken the protective coating on your paint making roadchips, etc easier to break through, not to mention sundamage. If you have any of these methods done be real careful about who you let do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze
    As a owner of a Black 98 ETC let me share my experience. I have found that two things cause spotting that will get worse over time. First, washing your car by hand in the blazing hot sun -> very bad, washing your car at a car wash place and it doesn't get properly dried, leaving water on the paint and then the sun, well, it takes care of the rest -> very bad. Finally, If I don't towel my car off imediatley after washing (I use the nonfiberous shami cloths) it will spot no matter sunlight or not. Once I've washed it and wiped it down, I immediatley apply a full coat of McGuire's Tech Wax. It dries really fast and doesn't take much elbow grease to get out. The best part is that it protects the paint from spotting. I repeat this 1/month from early spring till late fall. I know it's obsessive but if you saw the paint on my car you would never believe it's been outside a day in it's life (minus roadchips and such).

All I've ever hear about clays, swhirl remover, and profesionally buffing, from my friend who owns a detailing business is that while it does make the paint look better, it also wears down the clearcoat, hence the reason it looks better, you're refreshing the surface. Problem is by doing this you weaken the protective coating on your paint making roadchips, etc easier to break through, not to mention sundamage. If you have any of these methods done be real careful about who you let do it.
    Well then your friend the pofessional detailer don't know what he is talking about. Claying does not wear down the clear coat and neither does machine polishing with a foam pad (polishing). These simple steps may or may not remove the spots. Much of the problem in many areas may be attributed to the high level of calcium in local water supplies. This may be more prevalent when water from wells is used to wash cars at home or those who park near a sprinkler system that operates from a well are prone to unsightly spots on the finishes of their cars. The spots are caused by mineral deposits in the water (Acid rain). If the water is left on the car long enough, the deposits can etch the surface of the paint. The best way to prevent water spots is to remove the water as quickly as possible. But prevent is the best solution. Deeply etched paint may need 800-, 1,200- or 2,000 grit compounding -- depending on the severity of the water spots, how long they have been left on the finish, and the color and make of the car. After thorough high-speed buffing, a coat of wax is applied to shine the finish. Next a coat of sealant/protectant should be applied. This should ensure a spot free finish. The final step is to follow proper car washing procedures to avoid future problems.

ridethewave96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1, The spots are caused by mineral deposits in the water (Acid rain).

This is not an accurate statement. Hard water is not acid rain. Acid Rain is the result of a combined emission of Sulfur Dioxide and Nitrogen Dioxide being collected and wafted throughout the hemisphere by winds aloft. They play no favorites, they are world wide as they collect in the upper atmosphere, they form the bad guys, Sulfuric Acid, Nitric Acid.

2. Claying does not wear down the clear coat and neither does machine polishing with a foam pad (polishing).

This is not necessarily true either. Claying can and does lead to surface marring and scratches which leaded to surface correction with compounds. Foam pads do cut, the severity depends on the density of the pad and the compound used. They are however less aggressive than wool pads and thus cut at slower.

There a safe product that chemically remove waterspot (not damage from etching)To prevent hard water spots on a finish seek out a selant with corrosion resistant additives.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Deeply etched paint may need 800-, 1,200- or 2,000 grit compounding -- depending on the severity of the water spots, how long they have been left on the finish, and the color and make of the car. After thorough high-speed buffing, a coat of wax is applied to shine the finish. Next a coat of sealant/protectant should be applied. This should ensure a spot free finish. The final step is to follow proper car washing procedures to avoid future problems.
    Sycosis you've proven my point without even knowing it, what exactly is 2,000 grit compound but really fine sandpaper? The last time I used a sanding block it was to 'remove material' to smooth a surface.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this, but lets just say that all forms of cleaning/polishing involve some degree of wear at the finish. If you don't beleive me do some google searching on polishing, buffing, waxing, claying, etc to get a broader view on the material at hand. The severity or 'aggressiveness' of your polishing means varies from type to type. Claying is one of the least abrasive provided the working surface is clean, but that may not always be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze
    Sycosis you've proven my point without even knowing it, what exactly is 2,000 grit compound but really fine sandpaper? The last time I used a sanding block it was to 'remove material' to smooth a surface.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this, but lets just say that all forms of cleaning/polishing involve some degree of wear at the finish. If you don't beleive me do some google searching on polishing, buffing, waxing, claying, etc to get a broader view on the material at hand. The severity or 'aggressiveness' of your polishing means varies from type to type. Claying is one of the least abrasive provided the working surface is clean, but that may not always be the case.
    Yeah, I'm not saying sandpaper doesn't remove paint, it does. I mean to say it's an extreme way to repair etched in water spots.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.