Best wax/polish for an SLS with Black paint?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Best wax/polish for an SLS with Black paint? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My caddy is an SLS with black paint. What is the best wax or polish to bring out the shine. ...
    Twilightcall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Best wax/polish for an SLS with Black paint?

My caddy is an SLS with black paint. What is the best wax or polish to bring out the shine. I just washed it and it looks great. It does have some imperfections in the paint like water spots, etc. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Best wax/polish for an SLS with Black paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightcall
    My caddy is an SLS with black paint. What is the best wax or polish to bring out the shine. I just washed it and it looks great. It does have some imperfections in the paint like water spots, etc. Thanks.
    There are many good products, you may want to get a copy of The Wax Test at www.gurureports.org they tested the top 46 wax products.

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS
    I have a Midnight Sapphire Blue 93' STS. I have tried several very good and popular waxes, but nothing compares with Zaino Car Polish!
    (See link at end of message)

It is a polymer based show car polish, not a wax.

The procedure (several applications) sounds like a lot of work, but it really goes on easy and wipes of very easy. I just make sure the car is freshly washed and apply the polish sparingly. Allow to completely dry, and then wipe it off.

I have tried the Clay Bar and found it to not make a difference so I would not recommend getting this particular item.

I Use the following in the order shown:

Z7 - Show Car Wash
    Z5 - Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
    Z6 - Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

Note: Read the information at the Zaino web site for more information. The procedure as described will sound like a lot of extra work, but I basically just apply as I would a top quality cream wax and wipe off with soft cotton towels and it works great. You will see the difference immediately. Dark colors especially benefit from this polish.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Cujo31 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Actually Growe ... there are products out there that compares to Zaino. Klasse is one, UPP, Megs #20, and even Poorboys EX Sealant. If I was able to get pictures to work on here I would post a car I did yesterday with Poorboys. The clarity on it is just as amazing as Zaino. Dont get me wrong, Zaino is a killer product. Zainos scratch and swirl remover or whatever they want to call it is only a filler. They will be back. I would suggest the use of another polish geared to remove rather than fill.

Cujo

Take a look at these pics ...
    http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery....741&album=7440

JJhomer83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightcall
    This is the oldest debate in the world. Take the top 5 people recomend and try them. That is my 2 cents. I use mothers, mcquieres mainly.

ccreamer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante
    If you go with a polymer based sealant/polish, be sure to try and remove all the imperfections first. If you don't, they will still be noticable under the layer of protection you just added.

Claying the car is a great idea, if it needs it - to determine this, take a plastic bag or cigarette wrapper and run your fingers over the paint, covering them with the bag - if it isn't smooth, really smooth, you should clay. I'd recommend Mother's clay kit. Clay Magic also gets a lot of rave reviews - when I tried it I didn't like it, but maybe the bar was too old or something.

After claying you will want to use some kind of polish/cleaner. I highly recommend Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish with a terry cloth applicator - don't just spread it on and wipe it off. Work it into the paint. It will help to remove swirl marks, water spots, etc....

After that, you can use a sealant or wax or both.

Cory

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

94 Q45 with Crimson Pearl Metallic paint..... I used Eagle 1 WET polish/wax and I can say its GREAT..... Excellent shine and beads great..... Only thing is its really thick, so getting all the goo off is somewhat daunting......

I heard Meguires gold class gives about the same results, but goes on thinner.....

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I have three black cars. Nothing looks better when clean, nothing looks worse when dirty. I've tried a lot of products, all with differing degrees of success.

Lately I've been using Mother's "cleaner wax." I used it on my wife's Volvo today. I stripped as much of the old wax off as I could at the "do-it-yourself" place, and then just used an orbital buffer to apply the wax, wiping the residue off with an old t-shirt. It only took an hour. The car looks fine, considering it's six years old and sits outside most of the time.

On the Z3 and the Prelude, I take a little more time. Once a year, I strip everything off with a very mild mixture of Dawn and water.

Twice a year (at the most) I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover with an orbital buffer. Then I inspect the finish closely for heavier scratches and use 3m rubbing compound (by hand) on those small areas, followed by the swirl mark remover (by hand) on those spots again.

Next, I use 3m "Imperial Hand Glaze." When they say "hand," they mean BY HAND. You can't use a machine with this stuff, you have to do small areas--wet cloth in one hand, dry cloth in the other, just like the Karate Kid.

Next step, 3m paste wax. Any wax will probably do at this point, but since I've already buffed and glazed the car, I don't use a "cleaner wax." I stick with something that is just going to provide protection and shine. I've used polymers before, but on a black car they tend to get hazy after a while. Carnauba is the best thing to use for dark colors, IMO.

The final step is 3m's spray on "Gloss Enhancer." It evens out the coat of wax. This stuff also works well as a detailing spray. In a perfect world, I'd have time to wax once a month and use the spray once a week.

When I'm done, I have about as perfect a finish as you can get on a car that's not "showroom new." It takes me about 4 hours, but it's worth every minute. I attribute the depth of the shine to the "Imperial Hand Glaze." It really does a nice job of filling in the remaining scratches and providing a smooth, glossy undercoat prior to waxing.

Washing by hand only with a "car shampoo" really helps the protection last. That's what Saturday mornings are for!

One other thing, I'm not endorsing 3m products. Meguiar's, Mother's, Zaino, and Zymol are all supposed to be good, too. I WILL ENDORSE glazing once or twice a year on a black car. I'm sure several companies make a glaze, too.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Ill try that next year..... By then Ill be ready to restock......

Stealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Is one enough ?

when it comes to wax, polish, etc., everyone here is right on this and that ....

BUT,

it is disappointing to keep hearing swirls and stuff to remove them afer the fact ...

the swirl thing is NOT a mystery ...

use a orbital machine and you WILL get swirls ..
    PLUS ..
    the power rotation WILL beat the hell out of the paint on the high ridges and edges of your expensive cars with an eventual PEELING of top coat and paint as well as wearing the thin layers of paint everywhere ...

look at this way, before the power orbitals, one did not see much in the way of swirls, paint wear/peeling/fading ...

sell your orbital to the next victim and use hand power ...

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I had the swirls before I bought the orbital buffer. The buffer was the easiest way to get rid of them.

It's people who don't know how to use the buffers that get the swirls.

Gentle hand washing is the best way to prevent them. Automated car washes have done more damage to my paint over the years than anything else.

Ronnyball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None Yet (CTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightcall View Post
    I own a black 2009 CTS and I am also certified in Paint Correction.
    Never use sythetics on your car -- it makes it look like you have ceran wrap on it. Use a carnuba wax always -- you have to wax every month but don't let that bother you. If you want to do a GREAT job, go get a Porter Cable Buffer and use Meguiar's 205 ultra finishing polish on it followed by a nice carnuba wax -- maybe Meguiar's yellow wax.
    On light colored cars, synthetics are good -- but dark colored cars always stick with carnuba wax -- it never lasts as long, but it looks great!

I'm doing this quickly so forgive the mis-spellings -- I went to grad school and have three published books but I cannot spell to save my life
    Ron Jenkins --

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.