Rear spoiler - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Rear spoiler in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Dadillac Kev, there will be no here from me. Before installing the pieces, I slid them up ...
    Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Rear spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    Kev, there will be no here from me. Before installing the pieces, I slid them up and down the quarter panel, to see if the gap would lessen. The only thing I can come up with, is maybe, the spoiler is supposed to be hanging off of the rear of the car. I am not sure of that. I have it positioned so that the rear of the spoiler, is just a hair, forward, of the end of the trunk lid. I viewed a few pics of these spoilers, and they all seemed to be installed like this. The instructions did not specify the location. As far as removing too much material, so the end pieces sit lower than the center section: currently, the end pieces, are just a tic higher than the center section. So it appears, if I remove a small amount of material, from the top edge of the end pieces, it will fit the car better, and better line up with the center section, as the top edge will be sitting lower. Again, I will be waiting to get the new tape from OE Pro's, and go from there.

MacK, can you take a few pics of your spoiler for me, and post them here? I am really interested in a side view, to decide if I need to move the whole spoiler rearward a little. I think I might have installed this spoiler in the wrong place. Thanks

Don
    Thanks for the mercy.
    It's too bad the instructions did not include details for the specific location that it was molded to. A possible oversight on the part of the manufacturer?
    I hope that you are able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Dadillac... Sorry Ive been forgetful.. I will try and get some pics up here for you tomorrow.. Though I always have problems posting them... But ill try and get all angles for ya to see where yours line up..

MacK

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Well, the trunk lid now opens, fully, on it's own. I adjusted one of the torsion bars, and what a pain in the ass it was. There are two bars there, and I only put added tension on one of them. Do you think this will be okay? I am figuring it will be, but, my thinking may be off.

I also soaked up about a quart of water from my trunk. I noticed the dreaded trout pond several months ago. I had it fairly dry, until I washed the car yesterday. A new trunk seal is to arrive tomorrow, and this will go in ASAP. I will use weatherstrip sealer around the entire perimeter, as well, as the surrounding trim pieces. I saw the sunroof drains, and they seem okay. The bottom carpet piece is drying as we speak. There was easily another quart of water held up in the carpet padding. I am hoping I can salvage this piece, as a new one, is over $200.00.

So any advice on the trunk lid torsion bars would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Don

Update on the trunk pond. I changed the gasket out today. Before I disturbed anything, I had my wife spray the back window, as I looked through the trunk access hole. After about 15 seconds, it started leaking very much, right at the trunk latch. I removed the gasket, used weatherstrip adhesive along both sides of the flange, along it's entire length, and installed the new gasket. I also used silicone sealer at the four screws at the top gasket, just below the window. I let it sit for about three hours, and water tested it again. I used a harder stream of water, and for a much longer period of time. Result, no more fishing, in the Caddy's trunk. Not even a drop. It is 100% completely dry. I cannot begin to express, how delighted I am, that the trunk is fixed. Normally, I would have had, at least a few drops still coming in. Now, I need to get the spoiler ends, to sit better. I am awaiting the new tape from the manufacturer. As soon as it arrives, I will tackle that. Then, comes the job I really do not want to do. The heater core. I have the part, just need to install it. That one, I am sure will not be as much fun, or as easy.

Don

Well Dadillac I finally got some pics.. Been busy over the weekend. But I checked and in fact my end pieces are help by tape also. There is a bit of a gap and they seem on there pretty good. It seems every piece on the trunk either has the tape under it. They seem to match up pretty good height wise. May be a tiny bit off from front to back. But I think they match pretty good. But id have to say with the weather my cars in Id have to say the tape holds great... 90+ degree summers... with winters below zero with salt hell... If ya need any more pics just gimme a hollar.

MacK
    Attached Images

cadavev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 FireMist Gold Seville STS

another good source is www.sportwing.com that is where i plan on getting mine from for my 98 sts

MacK

Thanks for the pics. It looks like yours is better than mine. If you don't mind, check out the pics I have here. Look at the side view, and tell me if your spoiler is in about the same position. It looks like yours may be a little rearward of mine, which may explain a few things. It also looks like your main spolier has a lip that goes down the side of the trunk lid. Mine does not have that. It just sits on top of the lid.

Don

Duh, I just looked at your pics again. I see that your first pic is upside down, which lead me to believe, that your main spoiler had a lip on it. Now I see that it doesn't. I guess that I need to pay closer attention to these things.

Don

MacK

I took a few more from the side, and a couple, from straight above. They should be clearer than the others.

Don

Lol sorry bout the upside down pic. It almost looks as though the end pieces arent close enough to the middle spoiler.. Which is causing that space in the middle of them. Ill get a few more pics up for you. If you could take one from back towards front showing the spacing between the end pieces and middle. I also think yours may not be close enough and not far enough back.

MacK

Kev

Dadillac,
    It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but it looks to me like the radius of the curve on the spoiler end peices is slightly smaller than the radius of the quarter panel that it's taped to. I see what you mean about the gap! I would be very unhappy with it as well. I hope it's just a simple matter of finding the right location where the curves more closely match each other.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Well, I am still waiting for the new thicker tape from the manufacturer. But I couldn't wait any longer and bought some new tape from the parts store. I had to triple up on the tape at the rear of the end pieces, but it at least, is almost sealed up. Not perfect, but much better. I removed the end pieces, took off the tape, and was fitting the pieces to the quarters. the only way that they fit close to correct, was with the front outer edge, way down the quarter panel. In simpler terms, the gap between the main spoiler, and the end pieces, would have been about 2.5" on the leading edge, and about 1/4" on the trailing edge. Obviously that wasn't going to work. So I had to raise the rear edge, and fill it in with the tape. I will get pics up soon. It looks like crap close up, but not too bad from a distance. I do not fear that they will blow off the car, as I am driving, over 45 mph.

On a side note. Since I was working near the rear of the car, I decided to adjust the other trunk lid torsion bar, as I had only adjusted one. What a pain in the ass. I finally got it, but it took several different methods, and about an hour and a half. I am just glad that is out of the way. I never want to do this on one of these cars again.

Don

Kev

I hope it's not as disappointing a resolution as it sounds.
    Is the spoiler that you purchased the only one available?
    If you could go back would you do this again?
    Would you recommend this to anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    I hope it's not as disappointing a resolution as it sounds.
    Good questions. I'll take them one at a time.
    No, I have seen one other style, but there may be more. The one I have, is supposed to be a "factory" spoiler. I guess that you could option a spoiler on a '98-'04 Seville?
    Yes. Although it turned out to be more of a project than I had anticipated, ultimately, I got the look I was after. To me, the rear of the Seville's, look too plain.
    Not sure I would recommend, but definitely, would not deter anyone from doing so. The quality of the spoiler is very good. The paint job is like factory. I just had a problem with the quarter panel pieces. Not sure that others will have the same issues.

Once I get a few pics up, you can decide for yourself how good or bad it looks. I still may tweak it a little more. It appears as if the main spoiler section, is lower than, the side pieces. So removing it, and raising the center section, may be in the future. Just not right away.

Don

Don - I was looking at my spoiler and it almost hangs over the trunk very slightly.. That may be causing your gap on the end pieces. Car is in the shop now so I can get any pics. Not sure if moving it back is an option for you now since you have the holes drilled. Ill get you some side and top shots to show the hang over.

MacK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.