Rear spoiler - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Rear spoiler in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Thanks Mack. The spolier should arrive one day this week. Once it is on, I will get the pics up. ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: Rear spoiler

Thanks Mack. The spolier should arrive one day this week. Once it is on, I will get the pics up.

Don

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by 94CaddyConcours
    WTF? Spoiler and luxury car dont mix.
    The spoilers we're talking about aren't big ugly wings, they're stockish and understated.

They look good. I'm considering getting one in the future for my ETC.

Whoops sorry you weren't looking for opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The spoilers we're talking about aren't big ugly wings, they're stockish and understated.

They look good. I'm considering getting one in the future for my ETC.

Whoops sorry you weren't looking for opinions...
    You're correct, I wasn't looking for opinions. But, if the opinions agree with mine, that is okay.

Don

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Oh and if this is posted in time. Just watched tightening the screws... I noticed a few crackes in mine.

MacK

Quote Originally Posted by MacKiNBacK
    Oh and if this is posted in time. Just watched tightening the screws... I noticed a few crackes in mine.

MacK
    Thanks again for the tip. The painted spoiler is to arrive on Monday. The actual install will probably take place on next weekend. I am a busy dude on Mon, Tues, Wed, Friday's. But then again, next Thursday is wide open. Hmm, sounds like Thursday may be the day. I will post before and after pics.

Don

How did it come out Dadillac??

I'm glad you asked. I installed the spoiler on Monday. It has been crappy weather here the past few days, and just snapped some photos a few minutes ago. They are not too good, but here they are.

Don

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    I'm glad you asked. I installed the spoiler on Monday. It has been crappy weather here the past few days, and just snapped some photos a few minutes ago. They are not too good, but here they are.

Don
    It is a nice subtle spoiler, not garish as some of our teasing might have suggested.

Are you pleased with your installation?
    Has it affected the deck lid opening easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    It is a nice subtle spoiler, not garish as some of our teasing might have suggested.

Are you pleased with your installation?
    Has it affected the deck lid opening easily?
    The spoiler is quite subtle. It isn't a foot tall, or a foot and a half deep. Just enough (in my opinion) to complete the rear end. The trunk lid, before the spoiler addition, used to open fully when released. Now with the added weight, it opens about 1/3 of the way. Not a big deal, but, I will try and adjust the tensioner, to see if I can get it to open fully again. As far as the install goes, I have one small problem, that the manufacturer is addressing, kind of. The outer pieces that attatch to the quarter panels (it is a three piece) do not follow the body lines perfectly. They are attatched with 3M double sided tape. After installing them, I can see under them, in the center. My fear is after some rain, and car washing, the tape will lose it's stickiness, and the pieces will blow off the car. So far they have held up fine in 90 mph driving. The manufacturer suggested against my modifying the pieces, and is sending me thicker sticky tape. If I cannot solve the problem with this new tape, I will probably fix them myself. I would just like to be sure that I can purchase just the outer pieces, if I screw up. Overall I am very pleased with it. The paint is a perfect match, and looks like it was painted with the car, from the factory.

Don

Kev

The spoiler is quite subtle. It isn't a foot tall, or a foot and a half deep. Just enough (in my opinion) to complete the rear end. The trunk lid, before the spoiler addition, used to open fully when released. Now with the added weight, it opens about 1/3 of the way. Not a big deal, but, I will try and adjust the tensioner, to see if I can get it to open fully again. As far as the install goes, I have one small problem, that the manufacturer is addressing, kind of. The outer pieces that attatch to the quarter panels (it is a three piece) do not follow the body lines perfectly. They are attatched with 3M double sided tape. After installing them, I can see under them, in the center. My fear is after some rain, and car washing, the tape will lose it's stickiness, and the pieces will blow off the car. So far they have held up fine in 90 mph driving. The manufacturer suggested against my modifying the pieces, and is sending me thicker sticky tape. If I cannot solve the problem with this new tape, I will probably fix them myself. I would just like to be sure that I can purchase just the outer pieces, if I screw up. Overall I am very pleased with it. The paint is a perfect match, and looks like it was painted with the car, from the factory.

Don
    My concern with the end pieces is that if there is a gap, a noticeable gap it could not only allow moisture and tape errosion but other nasty grit grease and grime that would be unsightly to say the least. It would be nice if there were a way for you to effectively seal them thereby preventing such problems. That is if I've understould your meaning correctly.

That is correct. I will give the thicker tape a shot, so as to completely seal off the pieces. If this doesn't work, I will call back the manufacturer, and see what they say. I will not be 100% satisfied, until the side pieces, are completely sealed to the body. Even if I have to sand them down to fit.

Don

Dadillac... Ill check mine when I get a chance... I never noticed a gap.. But if mine happen to be tapped then after the year and a 1/2 of owning it and quite a few times riding around 130mph isnt enough to mess the tape up then i dont know what would. Also in the Chicago land area there's also the salt problem.. I know the back of the trunk lid gets a lot of salt on it.. Strange about the lid not opening all the way... Mine works fine.

MacK

Quote Originally Posted by MacKiNBacK
    Dadillac... Ill check mine when I get a chance... I never noticed a gap.. But if mine happen to be tapped then after the year and a 1/2 of owning it and quite a few times riding around 130mph isnt enough to mess the tape up then i dont know what would. Also in the Chicago land area there's also the salt problem.. I know the back of the trunk lid gets a lot of salt on it.. Strange about the lid not opening all the way... Mine works fine.

MacK
    MacK

Thanks man. On mine, if you look from the rear, you can see under the end pieces, when looking at the quarter panel level. I am guessing it is somewhere between 1/16 - 1/8" gap. Water, air, winter salt, will definitely get there way under these pieces. That will not be good enough for me. I am a perfectionist by nature. This will eat away at me until they are fixed. I cannot help it. Sometimes when I have a problem with the car, that is repaired, but just not right, I will lose sleep, concentration, etc., until it is right. So far, I have never settled on something, that isn't right.

As far as the trunk lid, not opening all the way, I will remedy this also. My guess is that the previous owner of your car, or dealer, adjusted the tensioner, before you bought it. I will do the same. It is a small detail, but I like the trunk lid, opening all the way. I am getting "spoiled" by this car.

Don

Kev

That is correct. I will give the thicker tape a shot, so as to completely seal off the pieces. If this doesn't work, I will call back the manufacturer, and see what they say. I will not be 100% satisfied, until the side pieces, are completely sealed to the body. Even if I have to sand them down to fit.

Don
    Due to your self description as a perfectionist I say this at the risk of being foolish, is there any chance that the pieces are not aligned with the shape of the quarter panel? In other words, are they mis-shaped or merely mis-aligned? DOH! Don't smack me upside the head now, I'm just trying to catch it from all angles here.

OK, if it is mis-shaped and you want to sculpt the puppies to more closely match your quarter panels be cautious about removing material from the top side of the pieces as they may not line up well with the center piece when you are finished. If material must be removed it might better come from the side so that the pieces do not end up lower than the center piece. Of course, you might end up with an odd gap though too.

I dunno! Good luck!

Kev, there will be no here from me. Before installing the pieces, I slid them up and down the quarter panel, to see if the gap would lessen. The only thing I can come up with, is maybe, the spoiler is supposed to be hanging off of the rear of the car. I am not sure of that. I have it positioned so that the rear of the spoiler, is just a hair, forward, of the end of the trunk lid. I viewed a few pics of these spoilers, and they all seemed to be installed like this. The instructions did not specify the location. As far as removing too much material, so the end pieces sit lower than the center section: currently, the end pieces, are just a tic higher than the center section. So it appears, if I remove a small amount of material, from the top edge of the end pieces, it will fit the car better, and better line up with the center section, as the top edge will be sitting lower. Again, I will be waiting to get the new tape from OE Pro's, and go from there.

MacK, can you take a few pics of your spoiler for me, and post them here? I am really interested in a side view, to decide if I need to move the whole spoiler rearward a little. I think I might have installed this spoiler in the wrong place. Thanks

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.