"Spring Spruce Up" Just About Done,,, A Few Snags tho,,,
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, "Spring Spruce Up" Just About Done,,, A Few Snags tho,,, in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ,things never go as smoothly as they seem, right? Just when your sure you've got everything suss'd and your task ...
    Frost is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance

"Spring Spruce Up" Just About Done,,, A Few Snags tho,,,

,things never go as smoothly as they seem, right? Just when your sure you've got everything suss'd and your task will be the proverbial "breeze", FATE comes by and stomps all over you and your dream.

Task#1: Take the idea of putting those High Intensity Xenon replacement bulbs in the backup lamp pods and side turn signal markers, for instance-----PLEASE! Now I know why they want you to take this kind of simplistic task to the dealer for the installation. It took me the better part of an hour to dismantle the trunk mats, figure out where in Hell the screws were that had to be removed and then how to remove the damn pod before I even got to the replacement part of the work.

Only after all this and when I actually held the original bulbs in my hand did I realize that I had gotten the wrong type of bulb: The ones in the car are # 2057(double element) and I had bought # 1156 (single element, as specified in the manual). BOTH bulbs look the same ie; same dimensions, same type of bulb end - just the number of elements differed. Needless to say, choice words filled the air and mixed with the joyous spring sounds of the Robins and Chickadees and God knows what else. Another trip to the custom shop, quick swap-out, another 25 minutes to button evrything back up and behold! Now the back of the car lights up like a baseball stadium at night!

Task #2: Not getting enough grief the last time I ventured under the trunk lid of the Caddy, I decided that I would put that block letter'd DEVILLE logo in the brakelight on the back of the rear shelf - you know, the infamous third brakelight. I had checked the length of the plastic logo (6 inches) and the red brakelight portion was at least 11 inches - easy fit, right?

Well, the fuzzy covering came off easily enough from the brakelight housing. There's a small screw in the centre of the brakelight pod that holds the pod tightly to the rear glass - I removed this screw, never to find it again when it fell down into the bowels of the trunk's guts. After an inordinate amount of coaxing and wiggling the housing, I managed to get it vertical, so I could attach the logo to the red lense. Guess what? The logo is 1/32 of an inch too high to fit in there. Know how small a 1/32 inch measurement is and how insignificant it looks in the grander scheme of things?

Right then, I knew my vision of kickin' back, frosted pinto (or two) in hand and admiring my hard work was at least another hour away. I ended up sanding the top and bottom edge of the plastic logo down, 1/64th inch each side, to make up the 1/32 inch discrepancy. Mounted the sucker in the red lense space, closed everything back up, took some alcohol and Polysporin and bandaids to the various cuts and scrapes on my hands/elbow that the car did to me and stood back to admire my handiwork. Got the Wife to come out and stand on the brake pedal for me, while putting the car into reverse, so's I could check out both pieces of my handiwork. Even in broad daylight those backup lights really shine through. And now that brakelight blares out the name DEVILLE whenever lit. Definitely something different!!!!

When I get the snaps developed, I'll be coming back here to see about getting someone to post them for me on this board. Just keeping you posted on the progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

Re: "Spring Spruce Up" Just About Done,,, A Few Snags tho,,,

I know exactly what you mean about the third brake light! After reading your post I made a proto-type (DEVILLE) and installed it. It came out great I will need to make another out of some dark limo tint I have laying around. Where did you buy yours? The screw!? Down the hole where the harness comes up through, almost did that myself! I find that running a deburring tool along the edges helps when you need to make small changes to fit two pieces(plastic/metal) together. Good luck!
    Paul

So, I have a fellow enthusiast to commiserate with, eh? I've sent some photos to HIGHONCHAI in the hope that he is able to get them to show up here - I've had no luck from my end. The DEVILLE emblem I used is the one normally found on the lower portion of the front doors.

Cheers!!

highonchai is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Seville Commemorative Edition, '69 Sed.Dev., '08 G6 GT

Here are the Pics sent to me by Frost. They needed to be resized, that was probably why they didnt go through when you tried Frost. What a great third brake light idea!
    Attached Images

Many thanks, Highonchai for doing that bit of magic for me. Everyone who sees that brakelight now wants to know why GM didn't do it at the factory - they are all keen to get their own branding on that light. I say to them, "Best of luck and don't forget the bandaids!"

michael96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (42K) 2000 DTS (32K)

Please, Please, Please, tell me where you got that wood steering wheel. Was it standard in 97, I have a 96 Deville and I want WOOD and I want it NOW !!! Waa Waa

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

just wait till you see what i have planned for my 3rd rake light mmmmmMWAHAHAHHAA

you are right , that steering wheel is nice ....ive seen them stock on caddys , now i need to find which ones ...

That wheel was an Ebay auction find. It came off a 2002 eldorado and was originally dove grey. I dyed it to match the interior (dark montana blue). Now it looks factory. I am sure you could get the same thing done, just keep an eagle-eye out for them. The dealer wants over $750 bucks for the same thing!

michael96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (42K) 2000 DTS (32K)

Can't wait to see the Brake light, as I will probably copy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.