Inner Part Of Rim
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Inner Part Of Rim in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I dont know if this will be of any use to anyone. But I was having a big problem with ...
    MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Inner Part Of Rim

I dont know if this will be of any use to anyone. But I was having a big problem with the power coated part of my rims. I was debating just taking that off, but not right now. But I thought Id try something. Used some chrome polish on it and seemed to take most of it off. Only did one coat, could probably get it all off. But I used Blue Magic's Metal Polish Cream. Scrubbed it on and wiped it off with a wet towel.
    I have pics but I cant get them under 1MB.. Any clues?

MacK

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rob_M is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

Re: Inner Part Of Rim

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=36242

It'll work, just keep testing different sizes and use the original picture because everytime you resize it it saves it. 75%, 50%, 38%, just keep testing diffrent sizes and trying to upload them, get it? Good luck!!

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

If you have the polished rims, adn not the Chrome ones, go to the home depot, and buy a can of Graffiti remover. Just spray it on the powder coated section, and wait a few seconds. This stuff eats right through that paint, but will nto harm the rim. Make sure to wear gloves though, and don't let any of it soak into the tire. Removing the rim from the car, is by far the easiest way to do it. It shoudl take about 20-25 minutes max for each wheel. You might need more than one can, but they aren't that expensive.

If you do have the chrome wheels, I'm not entirely sure how the Graffiti remover will affect it. I'm not even sure if they use the same paint for the rim. If you do have the polished ones though, the Graffiti remover is the fastest, and easiest way to do it. You just spray the stuff on, and watch the paint disolve. Much easier than trying to fub it off, with polishing compound. Good Luck

Rob_M is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac STS

Yeah I remember reading that. I want some of those rims soo bad so I can see that happen. The only thing was that they said you need to keep them clean at all times because that paint was supposed to protect it.

My dad just picked up a 1/2 gallon of Grafitti remover for $24. He's going to try his rims over the weekend because he had a problem with a break holder or something which coated the whole rim, side and back of car. We got it off the body but cant get if off the painted part of the rim. Wouldnt wax help for the protection the paint does?
    Depending on how it turns out and looks I might do mine.

MacK

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

I "accidently" discovered that the coating between the spokes on the chrome wheels can be removed with CRC brake clean solvent.

All I wanted to do was remove some tar and crud, but it took the coating off as well. The chrome underneath wasn't as polished as the rest of the wheel, but it did look good and may be easier to keep clean.

I'm thinking about removing the coating on all 4 wheels.

Has anyone else tried this on the chrome wheels for a 98+ Seville?

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

Sadly, I'm still in the process of doing it, even though I started the project about 4 months ago...hehe. It does look much better, that with the paint on there, and collects less brake dust as well. If you have the Polished rims, and not the Chrome rims, then there is nothing to worry about , as far as damage to the finish, as it is just polished metal. On the other hand, if you have the Chrome finish, then I would advise cleaning them as often as possible, since brake dust test to collect in the corner of the spokes. Other than that, I see no reason to worry abotu the Chrome pitting because of the removal of paint. If the paint was there to protect the Chrome, then the entire rim would be coated in it. Just make sure you wipe the stuff off really well, and then go back over it again with some good metal polish.

I ended up removing the paint on one of my dads rims. He was supposed to do the rest, and well now its been something like 3 months since.. Hehe lazy people =/
    The one rim that I did doesnt look too bad, besides the rough finish, but from a distance it looks fine.

MacK

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

The rough finish is my concern. My understanding of the chrome plating process is that it still has to be polished. It is probably easier for the factory to apply the coating inside of the spokes than to try and polish the chrome plating, hence the rough finish.

I'm still debating it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.