Bird crap leaves a milky-like outline?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Bird crap leaves a milky-like outline? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; New Caddy ATS (Glacier Blue). When bought, I detailed with Zaino, been using it for years. Anyway, here in south ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Bird crap leaves a milky-like outline?

New Caddy ATS (Glacier Blue). When bought, I detailed with Zaino, been using it for years. Anyway, here in south Florida, one is always getting bird crap on the car. 99% of the time, if I can get to it early, it will simple wipe off; but sometimes, it will leave an milky-like outline of the dropping. Mild rubbing compound, 3M scratch remover, Zaino AIO...nothing gets the crap off. It is only seen when one looks at it from a low angle. I would appreciate it someone can help me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Bird crap leaves a milky-like outline?

Problem is, bird droppings actually etch the clearcoat - physical damage. See if the tech links in www.autogeek.net have any advice.

Thanks, Submariner. You are quite right about the etching characteristic of bird crap. I have been on several other detailing forums and some feel that the etching can be significantly reduced by using Menzerna FG400 polishing compound...see this link (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=314534).

Although Menzerna FG400 was suggested, could Meguiar's M10508 Ultra Cut Compound be used instead?

6lbsofSound is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Either the Meg's or Menzerna should work, I would use a DA with an orange pad to start and step up to yellow if that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by 6lbsofSound View Post
    Either the Meg's or Menzerna should work, I would use a DA with an orange pad to start and step up to yellow if that doesn't work.
    I will have to do this by hand and would appreciate suggestions on how to go about it. I'm specifically interested in knowing: 1) If I can get some kind of hand-held pad to "rub" the stuff with, or would a MF cloth be OK, and 2) The etching is only about 1.5" in diameter and sits on top of the hood (so I don't want to screw up and make a visible mess), using a pad or a cloth, how much pressure should I exert and what motion should be used...circular, straight back and forth...?

Look at the "Polishin' Pal" handheld set in www.autogeek.net............. but you'll also need some fine cut swirl compound as well as a sealant and/or wax.

For this job, a MF cloth wrapped tightly around your first two fingers and swirl compound applied like spit-shining a shoe should do it - just don't get carried away - clearcoat is only so thick (thin).

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Look at the "Polishin' Pal" handheld set in www.autogeek.net............. but you'll also need some fine cut swirl compound as well as a sealant and/or wax.

For this job, a MF cloth wrapped tightly around your first two fingers and swirl compound applied like spit-shining a shoe should do it - just don't get carried away - clearcoat is only so thick (thin).
    I plan on using one of these compounds to remove the etching; whichever one I can get locally.

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compuond
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Menzerna FG 400 Fast Gloss Compound

I know there are hand-held foam rubbing tools, but if the MF cloth does the job, OK with me; although I have to admit that I haven't spit-shined in about 50 years.

Thanks.

6lbsofSound is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Meg's makes a drill attachment that functions like a DA might be worth the investment for spot situations like this and future touch ups. Your process is good I don't think even if you use a proper foam polish pad by hand it will take it out. Removing etches like this by hand are really tough. M105 should be a good starting point that you can get the big box auto stores.

ELDORADO2K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Once you get it off, I recommend using the Armor All Extreme Shield Wax. Armor All gets alot of crap but I recently finished off my complete paint correction with this wax and bird crap is no match for the protection it leaves. It washes right off even after sitting for 2-3 days. I've found those "boutique" waxes are mostly best at costing a bunch of money while having minimal lasting time and providing delicate protection... The real shine comes from the steps made prior to waxing. So IMO those high priced waxes amount to crap product as they can't even protect from measly bird crap. Get the shield wax. Trust me, the stuff protects like nothing I've tried b4. Toss that Zaino crap and save the cash.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

You can't do this by hand.

You need a DA polisher like a Porter 7424 a 5" backing plate, a 5" Lake County CCS Orange Pad, and a 5" Lake County CCS White pad. And Meguiars M105 and M205, which you can actually source locally at an Advance Auto Parts.

Watch the videos on autogeek.com and learn how to correctly polish a car. Try the white pad and 205 on the bird poop etch. If that doesn't work, try 205 on the orange; if no go then 105 on white, if no then 105 on orange.

If you use the 105, you'll need to polish the haze it leaves the 205 on the orange... then hit it soft with the 205 with the white. Then rewax it. Sounds like a lot; only takes 15 minutes.

Really, no wax will protect against bird droppings due to their acidity. Best thing to do is get them off quickly. As far as products go, everyone has their preferences, but Zaino seems to be a favorite. Personally, I use a sealant-type product topped with a carnauba wax.... I think Zaino has a similar setup.

All good advice. However, I don't think that I'm going to get involved with a PC as it seems that I have been able to get rid or the etchings by hand-power. However, I do have a question: Assuming that I have 2 etching spots on the hood, would I have to PC the whole hood to get it right; or, would just PC'ing the two individual spots be OK? I'm thinking that if I were to PC just the two spots, then when looking at the hood one would see a difference in color shade (my car is maroon) where the spots were done???

A DA polisher, swirl remover, different pads will do such a good job of smoothing the etching area that the rest of the panel will look dull buy comparison.

I would use something like the Autogeek Polishin' Pal (hand job) to work out the localized etching and, using an extremely fine swirl removal liquid and minimum cut pad on a DA - polish and wax the entire panel.

It's www.autogeek.net

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I use a Dewalt rotary buffer and Presta polishing priducts, then hand wax.

One day I'll get one of these for waxing/cleaning and see how it polishes compared to the high speed rotary:

http://cyclotoolmakers.com/Model_5Pro.php

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.