Leather Conditioner on seats ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flycaster
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Leather Conditioner on seats ? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; What does everyone use on there leather seats to keep them soft? I have used lexol on my 96 black ...
    fivepointohman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 Eldorado ( previously 96 SLS )

Leather Conditioner on seats ?

What does everyone use on there leather seats to keep them soft? I have used lexol on my 96 black leather, I have used blue coral and I just used turtle wax leather conditioner on my seats and now they feel dry and sandy which I hate. I want them to stay nice and soft, the leather is in nice shape and I want to keep it that way... Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Leather Conditioner on seats ?

Let's move this general question down to Appearance, Detailing ......

I use saddle soap, neats foot oil, Leatherique and SEM products.

Many choices in www.autogeek.net

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Our cars, as most, have coated leather. Conditioner isn't doing a thing for the leather, it's just making the surface a little shiny and/or greasy.

reedmtn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Platinum

I have found Zymol to be among the best conditioners. I live in CO for a good part of the year where the climate is dry and sun is very intense. Zymol is solvent free and provides an excellent conditioner for my seats and other leather. I gave up lexol, which was what my Cadi dealership recommended after determining it was not solvent free. Seems the Cadi dealer has very little expertise in several areas. You can purchase Zymol from Pep boys.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Our cars, as most, have coated leather. Conditioner isn't doing a thing for the leather, it's just making the surface a little shiny and/or greasy.
    Absolutely right, a waste of time and money on a new car, MoistCabbage...but guaranteed no one will listen. Mild solutions of water and soap (10-15% Woolite, eg) does the trick as far as cleaning and that's all you need.
    Ranger likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

One of my kids thought they would do me a favor (no body has admitted yet) and "polish" the seat of the Lincoln. Well, I was wearing a skirt, and one buttcheek was on the leather. I turned a corner and OUCH!

cadikarl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

I had good result with leatherique. It can also remove much of the dirt on the seats.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Once again, folks, our leather is coated (read has a layer of polyurethane over it) in order to protect it. Nothing much will penetrate through the urethane, so for new cars, special conditioning and washing is a wste of time and money. Use mild soap solution to wash and water to rinse. And, if you must use a specific leather cleaner, Zymol is a good one. Now, if your car's leather is aging and showing signs of wear and tear, then leatherique conditoning products are very good...

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Sure miss my White Diamond 98 Eldo leather seats. Sold it and bought a CTS and the leather quality is surely not the same. Leatherique.com is the best for those old comfortable roomy fantastic leather seats...follow their directions and enjoy the ride...the Leatherique/Pristine clean treatment is fantastic!

beccam23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I use the Maguiars cleaner & then the conditioner. My leather was disgusting when I bought it. Bought the leather cleaner some microfiber towels & a soft bristle brush & my seats looked really good.Try their product! I clean mines once a month because my kid be having my backseat looking terrible. Lol Here's pics of before & after. The after picture doesn't look too good because the sun was going down but you can see the difference & it looks AMAZING to the naked eye.
    Attached Images

beccam23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    [QUOTE="beccam23"]I use the Maguiars cleaner & then the conditioner. My leather was disgusting when I bought it. Bought the leather cleaner some microfiber towels & a soft bristle brush & my seats looked really good.Try their product! I clean mines once a month because my kid be having my backseat looking terrible. Lol Here's pics of before & after. The after picture doesn't look too good because the sun was going down but you can see the difference & it looks AMAZING to the naked eye. & They are soft.

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

I kinda need to disagree with the statements that anything on a coated leather is a waste of time. If you've read through Leatherique's directions, you know that basically you're supposed to flood the surface with the product and it will make its way into the seams. The stitching then wicks the product into the hide laterally. Use enough times and it will generally do its thing quite well. The more seams you have, the better; perforated leather--perfect. I've even taken seats out of various cars...something like a backseat back rest and did the whole program inside on a piece of plastic sheeting. Slow process but having taken apart the covers on my '91 Maxima a number of years ago, it was obvious where it seeped into the seams, was absorbed into the hide and consequently softened the leather.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Soaking into the seems and stitch holes will give you, what, a half inch of conditioned leather around the edge if you SOAK it and let it sit? I don't see the point.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

Depending on if the seam created a nice valley for the rejuventor to soak in, more like an inch and a half to two inches over the course of a summer...maybe twice a month. That particular car was 7 years old with black leather when I got it and never had the benefit of a garage in the three years and 100K+ miles I put on it. But the leather was generally in better condition when I sold it (and that car had decent quality hides) and anything near a seam felt factory fresh. Certain caddies with certain busy seat designs might end up doing quite a bit better overall cuz an inch and a half either side of a seam might get the majority of it. Just avoid soaking embroidery (like the wreath) as that pulled the hide apart slightly on my Fleetwood drivers seat a few months ago.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.