Remove light scratches with a Rubbing Compound or a milder polish?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Remove light scratches with a Rubbing Compound or a milder polish? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Which should one use when paint is in great shape and one wants to simply remove some very light scratches? ...
    SissyBoyFloyd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Eldorado ETC

Remove light scratches with a Rubbing Compound or a milder polish?

Which should one use when paint is in great shape and one wants to simply remove some very light scratches? I already used touch up paint on the deeper chips and scratches where the paint was actually gone.

Should I just spot rub them out or do I need to do the whole car? Do I need to wax afterwards?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Remove light scratches with a Rubbing Compound or a milder polish?

Rubbing compound it too coarse and will leave surface scratches. Use a white polishing compound or if all you have is surface swirls marks Maguiars has some very good products. Waxing afterwards would be a plus. I usually wax mine with a polisher from Harbor Freight similar to the one below, but with a wool bonnet and that keeps most of the swirls to a minimum, but then my car is white and they don't show anyway.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

You can always move up to a coarser compound; I recommend using the least abrasive compound first (to see if this does the job). It is worth doing it over if the finest product doesn't work (as opposed to taking too much surface off initially).

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Look through the Autogeek site and maybe spend the money for their detail/polish CD. The company sells a staggering array of detail and paint maintenance products. Use the second site for necessary paints and clearcoat - you'll need both.

If you have never claybarred, swirl polished, and sealed/waxed the car, the 20 hours of labor will astound you with the results.

www.autogeek.net

www.paintscratch.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.