Repainting...... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Repainting...... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; You're going to have to check at shops for a cost. It varies too much. It is almost as much ...
    zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS
    You're going to have to check at shops for a cost. It varies too much. It is almost as much work as a complete paint job. Let us know what a shop quotes you. I'm interested in knowing. I suspect it'll be close to the cost of a complete paint job.

Again, the more you do the less they should charge you.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS
    Did you ever get an estimate on clear coating or painting your car?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Repainting......

No, I didnt...... I dont have even close to enough money to be able to think about that sort of thing..... At my current rate, it wont be for 2 years or so......

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    I was wondering.... if you have a car with a very rare paint color, but some rock chips on the hood, and take it to a shop just to get the little chips touched up, so that it is not noticable.... will that make the car have less valuve vs. leaving it orignal and leaving the chips alone?

Also, I never heard about the 2nd clear coat thing, I would like to get omre info on that too, as it will help to keep chips away, that would be good.

I think a good body shop would be able to perfectly replicate the paint and touch it up.....! If you wont notice, how will anyone else??? Its always gonna be better to have good paint than chipped paint.....

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I had a '56 Chevy a few years ago that I bought from the original owner. The car was in near perfect condition. I decided to strip and repaint the car from the body shell out. The strip down was done by me, I didn't want to dip the body so I had it hand stripped down to bare metal = $7,000 to strip + a little over $5,000 to prep and paint ( Jaguar royal red ) Admittedly this was a show quality paint job but I also was pretty good friends with the owner of the shop and got out of there for about $2,000 less than most guys would have. If a guy is a perfectionist he can drop a ton of money on a paint job....Or he can do what I did with my old van and get a Earl Sheib $299 looks OK from a block away paint job. The point here Wes is, it was probably a minor repair and it's an old car and it's probably not worth the price to make it perfect.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

KC, just curious, that '56 sounded great, but if it was near perfect and kept that way for nearly 50 years, why strip it!? I mean, after my step dad stupidly sold his Olds 442 w-30 (more like gave away) and it was mint and still has the orig. rubber, he could have got a lot more for it. Then the current owner since '77 just sold it this month for 25,000, but could have got 50! I guess my point is, collectors look for mostly originality, unless you plan to keep it for a long time, or make money off it, I wouldn't have touched it. Just my opinion.

I was building a hot rod/show car. It had to be perfect.It turned out nice. I sold it for $50,000 when it was done.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by kcnewell
    I was building a hot rod/show car. It had to be perfect.It turned out nice. I sold it for $50,000 when it was done.
    Excellent, that's a great deal! Geez, maybe I could do that full time.

Good luck!

Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

whats that? you want a good paint job but dont wanna spend a bunch of money?
    Do you have a garage?
    Carport?
    Greenhouse?
    Do you have the desire to have your old car looking better than new?
    Are you willing to try something that, if done properly and carefully, will give you outstanding results in no time with little money?
    If you've answerd yes to any of these questions, than a DIY paintjob is for you!

lol
    sorry i had to.
    But seriously....If you have a garage, carport, or a greenhouse or any place where you could fit about 2 cars, keep dirt/dust/anything else out of for about a week, and if your willing to work your @$$ off for that week, then you can pull off a great looking paintjob for WAY less than even Macco would charge.
    Like was said before, prep. is the key. If you have never touched a spray gun before, you can still lay down a killer paintjob if you can get the surface perfect.
    If you can sand down at least to the origional primer, get the body in as close to perfect condition as humanly possible, then you should have no problem even if you wanted to try something sorta fancy (ghost flames, chamelion, candy, etc.)
    Just get yourself a good air compressor/tank, the bigger the better, a good moisture filter and pressure regulator, a decent HVLP spray gun, some good primer, paint, and clearcoat, a respirator or a good quality air mask, and a ton of plastic sheets. make sure you have pleanty of room in your workspace, put up the plastic sheets nice and tight...try and make it almost impossible for any dirt or dust or bugs to get into your workspace. With the car in another garage or outside, take off ALLLLLLLL the trim, everything you can that you dont want painted. Then get to sanding. Get down past the origional primer layer, do any bodywork you need to, use Bondo to get little tiny things as smooth as possible....Once your happy, and you really have to trust me....the better the quality of the body work, the better the paintjob will look., mask everything you dont want painted off VERY CAREFULLY with GOOD QUALITY painting masking tape. I'm assuming your gonna stick with the same color or something very similar, if not, then your gonna have a problem if you want the engine compartment and stuff like the door jambs to look good....
    Anywho, to make a VERY long story short, you are going to roll the car into the 'paint booth', do a few coats of primer followed by 4-5 LIGHT coats of your color, then a few light coats of clear. I've got a few paint books if you want me to discribe anything specific.....
    but trust me, its not as hard as it may seem.
    Many of my friends have done it, and i will be doing it to my own car probably this summer.
    If you take your time, it may not be PERFECT, but you most likely wont get any orange peel like every car has unless its like a Lamborghini or Ferrari or something that cost more than 300,000 dollars lol.
    Give it a try. If you end up messing it up and dont like it, okay so you used 600 or so dollars....but you gave it a try. and you can still get it painted by a pro. but if you really try, you can get an AWSOME show quality paintjob for really cheap depending on what you get and what you already have.

Thats not gonna happen... If im gonna do it, its gonna get done right the first time....

Besides, bad paint gives the car character!! Its not bad enough to really do anything about it..... Plus, its an old car and not worth it.... Plus, the Q45 paint job is one of the best paint jobs in the business!!! They have a reputation for looking great after 13+ years!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.