A little elbow grease...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, A little elbow grease... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'd scrub the engine by hand in the beginning, then keep up with it over time. As long as you ...
    jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

A little elbow grease...

I'd scrub the engine by hand in the beginning, then keep up with it over time. As long as you keep up with it, it'll look new forever.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cutlass/images/engine.jpg

That's a picture of my old 1984 Cutlass with about 125k miles on it (don't own it anymore). Almost 20 years old and still lookin' like new. Just soap, water, some dressing every now and then on the rubber surfaces, and the result? First place trophies at car shows.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/nissan/index.html

There's my '95 Nissan, with 173,000 miles. Lookin' like brand new.

I've found that the Northstar is much easier to keep clean for a few reasons. One, it's much newer, and doesn't have all the crud on it. Two, it's much simpler in that it doesn't have miles and miles of vacuum line and electrical wiring like my old Cutlass did. Especially with the beauty cover in place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Those are some great looking cars, I can only hope to own ones as good as those (and for that matter, take that good care of them)

Thanks!

Dontcha have the biggest case of spring fever right now? I see you're in Indiana, so you probably have it worse than we do...and I can't WAIT for spring! I want to do a few things to the Seville, but can't stand the bitter cold out. Grrr!!

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
    Spring fever? Damn it feels like spring down here already. High in the low 70s. I got to wash both the car and truck.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    looks good

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Geez Mad'lac, You're lucky... It was COLD here today....Only got up to 68 degrees! I had to wear my warmest sunglasses! LOL!

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
    Yeah. KC and I really suffer during the winter

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Me too man!

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    Hey Jadcock,

Those pictures look good. Be sure to detail your Caddy before we go to Bristol. We may not be the fastest cars there, but we'll look good going down the track.

Don

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I cant wait for spring, especially since i am what you would call a "die hard golfer", and snow golf isnt too feasible.

BACK ON TOPIC, what sort of products do you use on the engine, or do you jump in there with a brush and go at it! All of my engines havent required any scrubbing, but none of them are over 35k. Ill prolly scrub the fleetwood sometime, but not when its so fricken cold. I got to wash it when it got to a blistering 50 last weekend.

You betcha Don! Goin' fast with class! I can't wait until this spring!

I generally use a wet rag to wipe everything down every few weeks to a month. This keeps most of the dust and grime off. For smaller areas, you can get little detail brushes at your auto parts store or Wal-Mart. They come in a back of three. Make sure it has some sort of soft bristle brush, like plastic "hairs" or something. Certainly not brass or copper. That'll get places like near the spark plug holes, around the oil cap, PCV valve...places like that.

Then, I use regular car wax on the shiny metal surfaces. Not too many in the Cadillac, but they're there. While you're at Wal-Mart, pick you up some Eagle One Nevr Dull. This stuff is awesome. It'll polish your stainless exhaust tips to look like chrome, and some of the things under your hood to look like stainless or chrome. It's great stuff. I highly recommend it.

I'll dress it up with a light coating of rubber dressing on the hoses and other soft items (like wire harnesses, etc.). This creates a bit more work in the end because these types of dressings can tend to attract dust after a while, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Fast Orange or GoJo or any other liquid hand soap with pummice works great for cleaning wires and spark plug wires and hoses it will also moisturize them to keep them from drying and cracking

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.