On the Lux ATS: Which is leather, which is vinyl?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, On the Lux ATS: Which is leather, which is vinyl? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; These days with the quality of materials/processes used, it is often very difficult to tell leather from vinyl. I know ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

On the Lux ATS: Which is leather, which is vinyl?

These days with the quality of materials/processes used, it is often very difficult to tell leather from vinyl. I know that at the very least (and maybe that's it) the seat tops and the steering wheel are leather covered, and the rest of the car could be vinyl, but I'm not sure. And as I won't be doing the scratch/scrap test, I'm hoping someone can come up with a definitive answer.

I'm looking to detail the interior, but that will depend on this response and responses to my next post.

EDIT:
    Interesting, 69 viewers and no one knows the answer(s)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Re: On the Lux ATS: Which is leather, which is vinyl?..no guessing. please.

You could get a vinyl and leather cleaner in one but other wise i don't know about what's what in the ATS.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I was always taught that even if it is leather GM leather isn't unfinished naked leather like in an exotic car.
    The GM leather has a vinyl layer coating over the actual leather so oiling or conditioning it is useless.
    And Because of that you take care of it like you would with vinyl.

I use and prefer 303 Aerospace protectant it is safe on plastics and other materials to.
    http://www.303products.com/protectan...tant-32oz.html

Seeing you are in Florida a lot of the Marine specialty stores and RV Places carry their products because they are endorsed for use with a lot of boating/RV stuff.
    I usually get mine from West Marine for around $20

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    I was always taught that even if it is leather GM leather isn't unfinished naked leather like in an exotic car.
    The GM leather has a vinyl layer coating over the actual leather so oiling or conditioning it is useless.
    And Because of that you take care of it like you would with vinyl.

I use and prefer 303 Aerospace protectant it is safe on plastics and other materials to.
    http://www.303products.com/protectan...tant-32oz.html

Seeing you are in Florida a lot of the Marine specialty stores and RV Places carry their products because they are endorsed for use with a lot of boating/RV stuff.
    I usually get mine from West Marine for around $20
    Hi ctschick. Now, that's a straight-forward answer, with no punches pulled. Finally, someone knowing (or should I say admitting) that leather conditioners and such are really useless on our treated leathers. Glove leather, of course, is the real thing and should be handled appropriately. Having said that, I do have to admit that I was one of those that used leather cleaners and conditioners on my two BMWs. The 11 year old one, with sport seats - high on the bottom sides, and get the most abuse) showed very little wear and no cracking. Also, I would top off with 303. This is sort of contradictory in that I got good wear doing things that are shown to be useless??? I think its due to my simple keeping the seats clean...and perhaps a slight protective effect from 303. Just some thoughts...

I dunno much about BMW other than I thought they used or use to use untreated leather at some point or so I dunno I have only owned GM's

I have tried the conditioners like lexol on GM seats before just for heck of it and it was a waste of time IMO

The only thing with the 303 on this newer flat finish material that GM use's is it sometimes leaves an uneven finish on the material

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    I dunno much about BMW other than I thought they used or use to use untreated leather at some point or so I dunno I have only owned GM's ...
    Mine were treated leather. Water didn't sink in.

The more I think about the +/- about these different pproaches, I lean towards being rather nilistic: very mild soap and water, period...as long as there are no signs of wear.

I usually use Seltzer water first to clean stains in the interior of the car if that doesn't work I usually go to the Red or Gold formula GM stain removers they are both made for different types of stains.
    I have a little GM chart that tells me which cleans what stains.

The 303 I prefer to use afterwards for the UV protection on the leather, vinyl and plastics hoping to prevent any fading.
    I even use it on my headlights because it makes it easier to clean bug splatter off plus it is safe on clear plastics.

Been in FL for 13 years and have used 303 on the dash vinyl. The vinyl is like new. Like the headlight usage of the 303, never thought of that. Seltzer is a great stain remover. I use ChemDry, a seltzer based carpet stain remover. bought at HomeDepot.

reedmtn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Platinum

interior.jpg I went to my Cad dealer to inquire as to what product to use on my DTS's leather. I had been told with my previous Caddies not to use armor all, or similar products on Cad leather. They told my to use lexor conditioner and preservative. I did so with wonderful results and will continue to. I have not had to clean my leather and realize that is another subject and difficult. Lexor makes a separate cleaner, also recommended, but I have not tried it. I really disagree with the thought that the Cad leather is covered with a vinyl?. My seats and door leather and steering wheel are a fine leather and not covered with any kind of vinyl. So, try it, hopefully you will have the same results I have had. Also, spending our time between FL and CO, its important to have your windows tinted to keep the sun from having an adverse effect on the leather. I was surprised when I purchased my DTS in Orlando to find that most vehicles in FL dont have standard window tinting already. I had the Massey South location in Orlando do the tinting and they did a great job.

Thanks for your input, reedmtn. As you are aware from reading this thread, there are two types of leather used in cars: Treated (covered) leather that has some kind of urethane covering (not vinyl) and untreated (glove) leather, with at least 95% of today's car's having the former. I am wondering what kind of leather is in your car. An easy test would be to place a drop of water on the leather (in an inconspicuous place) and see if it sinks into the leather and leaves a wet stain = glove leather, or if it balls up and doesn't penetrate = treated leather.

reedmtn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Platinum

Re: On the Lux ATS: Which is leather, which is vinyl?

Have to change my recommendation on products for leather. I used a product called zymol, its a solvent free leather conditioner. It came recommended and it is wonderful! Its a creme and is all natural. The finish on my leather wasnt shiny or slick. Just a soft, clean look and feel. I got it at our local pep boys and its wonderful for sunny areas like CO and FL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.