Suggestions on how to clean and protect the canvas top on my SLS 2004.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Suggestions on how to clean and protect the canvas top on my SLS 2004. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've noticed my canvas top absorbs water when wet. Would like to treat it with a protectant and looking for ...
    gerrysatx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville SLS 2004

Suggestions on how to clean and protect the canvas top on my SLS 2004.

I've noticed my canvas top absorbs water when wet. Would like to treat it with a protectant and looking for suggestions. I'm looking for product and name suggestions for a cleaner and protectant. I've also read not to use Raggtop or protectants made for "convertibles".

As usual, appreciate everyones input.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Do not treat the top with any water proofing products. It is not, and should not be water proof.

gerrysatx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville SLS 2004

Re: Suggestions on how to clean and protect the canvas top on my SLS 2004.

Thanks.....hadn't been here in awhile and was reading many of the SLS posts and noticed your very recognizable name. Thanks for all your input in all the treads and your response here. No wonder my soft top has been looking great all these years.

Really appreciate it.

edit: spl.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You're very welcome.

Cloth tops really are pretty durable. The weak spot is usually the thread that holds the edge binding on, and the binding itself, which many newer tops don't even have.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Perhaps, MoistCabbage, you could bring me up to speed on this. I have been using RaggTopp on my 2005 Z4 roadster for the last 8 years and find no discernible problems with the top. I have been applying it once or twice a year, each time after a good cleaning of the top. Water always beads like crazy. Although we get a lot of bird crap here in SoFL, it has always cleaned off without much difficulty. However, I must admit that there a few spots here and there.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Perhaps, MoistCabbage, you could bring me up to speed on this. I have been using RaggTopp on my 2005 Z4 roadster for the last 8 years and find no discernible problems with the top. I have been applying it once or twice a year, each time after a good cleaning of the top. Water always beads like crazy. Although we get a lot of bird crap here in SoFL, it has always cleaned off without much difficulty. However, I must admit that there a few spots here and there.
    -------------------------------
    the discussion here is for the care/maintenance of the cloth top on a Cadillac -
    and MoistCabbage gave the PROPER response -

RaggTopp is a product for convertible tops -
    NOT the cloth tops on Cadillacs -

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Hey Basscatt, two things to consider: 1-I didn't realize that this was for specific treatment of Cadillac cloth tops; thought it was for rag tops; and 2-Never was questioning MoistCabbage's reply, just thinking that maybe I had something to learn.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.