Wheel wells
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Wheel wells in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Once you have your wheels and tires looking good, the wheel wells need a little tune up. My method takes ...
    rek
    rek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wheel wells

Once you have your wheels and tires looking good, the wheel wells need a little tune up. My method takes a little time, but it works. First, I blast them with a spray-type coin car wash. Then, I wipe them with denatured alcohol, till the rag comes away CLEAN. Next, I remove the plastic pieces, or mask them . I put 2 inch blue masking tape on the wheel well lip, to prevent over spray from going on the body. Then I spray the undercoated areas with Transtar Tex Coat Chip Guard (p.n.) 4313. This stuff has a good film thickness, it's black, and not too shiny. It looks like OEM applied stuff. Then I treat the plastic pieces with silicone tire dressing, till they won't absorb any more. I give them a final wipe, and put them back in with new fasteners. While I'm in there, I wipe all suspension parts that are visible from the wheel well, with the silicone juice, to make them look new. BTW rumor has it that Raybestos Quiet stop disk pads (ceramic) won't make the dreaded black dust. They are a little more money, but supposedly worth it. I'll try them this summer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    If people don't want to put as much effort, but want clean wheel wells, the best thing to do is take the wheel off and clean under there very well with whatever you think it needs. Then if it is a rubber or plastic type material, there are a few of the tire sprays/gels that will turn it black again. This doesn't take as much effort but really does make a huge difference. You just have to take a little bit of care to only get it on what you want. While the wheel is off it is also a good idea to clean the inside of it, doing this on a regular basis will keep the backs looking as good as the front, but if the backs are ignored they often get pitted and stained with break dust.

rek
    Dr.Jones, your'e right about just spraying the wheel wells with a tire dressing being easier. I used to do mine that way, but the dressing acted like a dirt magnet, especially on the undercoated surfaces. By sealing these surfaces with the Tex coat chip guard, they basically rinse clean, no muss no fuss. Like you said, good idea to clean the inside of the wheels. After I clean mine, I put on a good coat of non-wax based car polish. Cheap--NuFinish, Not so cheap, Meguiars Poly sealant. The poly type lasts longer than a wax based product. I do mine when ever I rotate the tires. So far, they rinse clean too. More work in the beginning, but easier to keep clean in the long run!

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I too have always thought that wheel well maintenance is a critical part of Apperance/ Maintenance. When I buy a NEW car I always wash the wheel wells as often as I wash the rest of the car and I really don't need to do much else. whenever I rotate the tires I thoroughly clean the back of the wheels and tires and the brakes and other accessable parts under there. Also, When I grease the thing I wipe off any extra grease from around the fittings and once or twice a year I gunk and pressure wash the entire underside of the car giving me a chance to inspect the underside components at the same time.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I Have used Hurculiner. Its a paint on bed liner that leaves alittle bit of a textured surface but washes off with a hose and rag. and just like new, and if you really want it to shine use some tire dressing

rek
    Kcnewell, it seems your'e tuned in too...Attention to detail is the difference between superiority and mediocrity. When I do the lube drill, I wipe the zerk fittings first, so I don't inject dirt in with the lube. Then, a wipe after...I didn't buy my Eldorado new, but it looks new now. I saw your post about the high buck wax. Do you think it's better than S-100? I like the S-100 so far, especially after I got about 5 coats on the car. I parked it next to a Zaino treated Firebird, and couldn't see any reason to get the Zaino. The bird owner said the Zaino lasts longer...Maybe, but I wax it all the time, so I don't know how long S-100 lasts.

Thanks, I thought that wiping them first was a given so I didn't even mention it! I have used many waxes over the years and have NEVER seen results as good as I get with Malms products. It's a little expensive at the outset but if you use it correctly a little goes a LONG way I've been using my present bottle for 1 1/2 years on 5 vehicles and I still have nearly half of it left! I've had a couple of show winning working big rigs and I generally am extremely picky about the final results when I do my thing. I DO NOT! use commercial detailing shops 'cause I've NEVER been satisfied with the work! Even at the so called best in my area it doesn't measure up.

P.S. YES! I think it's way better than S-100. There is NO comparison I.M.H.O.!

rek
    K, I'll take your H.O. and try the Malms. My wife thinks I'm a wax junky, so I won't let her down. I've got so many different car care products, one more won't hurt. I know what you mean about a little going a long way. The paint will only take so much at a time. It ain't Bryll cream, but a little dab will do ya! Later..

Cool, Let me know how it comes out. Being a wax junkie myself and all I like to get feedback on stuff I use from others. Knowuttamean???

rek
    I Hood Dat! Shine on... It'll be a while, I'm in Ohio, far from them "Warm San Francisco Nights"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.