permanant removal of vinyl top
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, permanant removal of vinyl top in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I Have a 1992 Brougham, ( last year of the BIG 4 doors ), that I would like to remove ...
    wally is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question permanant removal of vinyl top

I Have a 1992 Brougham, ( last year of the BIG 4 doors ), that I would like to remove the worn vinyl top and just paint the top to match car. Looking around the edges, it appears that this can be done, but the rear window puzzles me. Does anyone know if there is a window trim under where the vinyl wraps around the window? Is it stainless steel? I would hate to pull off the existing top to find out I HAD to replace it. Has anyone done this? Outcome? Anything else I would need to know? Thanks so much, Wally

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Re: permanant removal of vinyl top

my friend took his off his 94 but i dont remember how he did. im just replying because you said last of the big 4 doors. who told you that? in 93 they made the Fleetwoods 4 inches longer than the 92s. 96 was essentially the last of the big ones. you got some wrong information.

Uncle Buck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

I have a 87 Brougham. From the inside of the car with the trim around the rear window removed it looks like most of the window is covered up with vinyl and that glass that is covered up is blacked out. I was wondering what the roof is like under the top cuz i've heard gm didn't do too much to the roofs of cars with vinyl tops.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    my friend took his off his 94 but i dont remember how he did. im just replying because you said last of the big 4 doors. who told you that? in 93 they made the Fleetwoods 4 inches longer than the 92s. 96 was essentially the last of the big ones. you got some wrong information.
    How about "last of the BOXY 4-doors."

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    ok, yeah last of the big boxes. werent the Town Cars bigger though? maybe i am wrong.

ja killz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

just curious why would you wanna take it off anyways? Why not just paint IT... it takes spray paint easilly or just give it a nice wax and the vinyl shines a little.. looks nice IMO. We all know the point here however is dont do crack

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis

Don't you mean the last of the BEAUTIFUL 4 -DOORS? haha, j/k

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    Don't you mean the last of the BEAUTIFUL 4 -DOORS? haha, j/kBrian

those 93-96s are a whole lot nicer. hahaha, jk

kmhebert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I was thinking of eventually replacing my vinyl top with a white one. Would it be easier just to paint it? Seems like it would be a lot cheaper. What's the best kind of paint to use for this job?

Joe Sanders is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 5 Fleetwood project cars

It looks like Wally and I are pondering the same Dilemma...

I would really be interested in any info on removing the vinyl top on '93 to '96 Fleetwoods. I'm about to have my '93 Fleetwood repainted. The paint on the car is fairly nice. However, the paint is black and we all know black paint shows every little imperfection, ding, scratch, and swirl. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the vinyl top at about 8. There are no major blemishes, but the top is dull and has 3 small punctures...pencil point size. The bottom line is the top is over a decade old and it will continue to age. My thought is since I'm going to have the car repainted, why not just remove the vinyl top and paint the roof. To be honest, I've never really been a big fan of vinyls top...just a personal preference thing.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows how things look under the vinyl tops on '93-'96 Fleetwoods. Mainly I'm concerned about the following:

The windshield molding...will there be a significant gap once the vinyl top if removed, thus requiring the windshield/molding to be removed and then reinstalled?

The molding around the rear glass...is it the same quality as on the non vinyl top models?

Is the molding between the rear side pillars and roof there?

What is the general degree of finish of the roof panel?

I'm very experience in the bodywork area, so doing the required work is not an issue. My only concern is how much work will be required...i.e. what to expect under the vinyl top. It's one of those things that there's no way to know unless you know someone who has seen '93-'96 Fleetwood vinyl top removed or you remove one yourself. I just don't want to get into a situation where I've removed my top only to discover it's more hassle than I expected or wanted to undertake for this particular car. I would prefer not to have a vinyl top, but since my top is in decent shape, if the level of finish under the top will require a tremendous amount of work, I'll just leave the top in place.

Joe "Would Rather Not Have a Vinyl Top" Sanders

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Here's pics of a '95 FWB that was on Ebay a few months ago, that had its factory vinyl roof removed:

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Im not sure this will help... I have a black cloth top is on a pearl white 2000 Seville. But ive had my windshield replaced a few times.. and had the door pieces off. On my car it appears to have no change in moldings. The windshield fabric piece actually goes in between the top and roof. Most of it is held in place with glue. The rear edges and door pieces have glue and screws. So I imagine youd have to have a few holes filled. Also the top was painted black.. Im guessing if any edges or mis-alingments show it doesnt show white. I hope this helps.. I cant really see a whole lot changing in the way the tops are put on. Other than your maybe being stainless steel.

MacK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.