Ask a professional detailer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Ask a professional detailer in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey there everyone. I am a professional detailer, and I know there are a lot of products and techniques out ...
    TLC Dave is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ask a professional detailer

Hey there everyone. I am a professional detailer, and I know there are a lot of products and techniques out there, so I thought a thread like this might be helpful to those of you that like to keep your Caddy looking its best. So if you have any questions related to detailing go ahead and post them here. I will either answer them myself, or if I don't know they answer I will ask some other detailers that I know. On other forums these threads get filled with great information, so hopefully that will be the same here!
    -Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Ask a professional detailer

Unless you obtain a Vendor status, please don't try to post commercial ads or links or sites for products or services. The posts will be deleted. Please go down to Site News and read up on the CF Rules and Regulations. Thanks and keep it clean...........

I understand that, and I haven't posted any ads or even mentioned the name of my company, where I'm located, or anything like that. I had the pleasure of detailing a CTS-V and while sharing it with the community noticed there isn't a thread with good detailing information in it. That's it.....

zae357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS
    Good thread. I have a pearl white DTS that I currently use Turtle Wax Ice products on. Looking at other products to try. What would be the best wash, wax and the best product to keep bugs and road grime to a minimum.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by zae357 View Post
    Good thread. I have a pearl white DTS that I currently use Turtle Wax Ice products on. Looking at other products to try. What would be the best wash, wax and the best product to keep bugs and road grime to a minimum.
    Great looking car you've got there! As for washing, my favorite over the counter (available locally) car wash is Meguiars Gold Glass. You can usually find it on sale at Walmart or Autozone. It is just as effective as some of the high dollar boutique washes. I would also get a Meguiars Clay bar kit if your vehicle has some miles on it and you've never used one before. It will remove the bonded contaminants on the paint so it's silky smooth. Again, the Meguiars version can be found OTC, and still competes with the big boys. As for wax, well there are literally thousands of options. If we are sticking with the OTC theme I would try to find Mothers Pure Carnuaba Wax. It's usually under $20, has a great look, is pretty easy to use, and last for 3-5 months.

Hopefully that helps you narrow down some products!

zae357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS
    Thanks for the compliment. What about tire dressing? It's hard trying to find something that doesn't sling all on the car

Honestly there isn't an OTC tire dressing that I am a big fan of. Usually they are super shiny and greasy, and I just don't care for them. On of my favorites is Optimum Opti-Bond. If gives a nice, dark, clean look without being too shiny. Since it's waterbased with will dry to the touch, and as long as you wait a little while, you won't have to worry about it slinging. Hope that helps!

spind is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe AWD Premium
    What's your opinion on the quick detail and wax spray bottles available?

Quote Originally Posted by spind View Post
    What's your opinion on the quick detail and wax spray bottles available?
    Any specific brands in question? Honestly, as of late I think quick detailers are a dying breed. With the influx of Waterless Washes you can remove dust, light dirt, and finger prints in a much more effective, and safer way than with a QD. Ultima Waterless Wash is an amazing product. It can allow safe cleaning of a mildly dirty vehicle and leave a great shine behind. It leaves a little protection, but nothing much.

As for spray waxes I have a couple favorites. One would be Optimum Car Wax. It's a spray product that works great, doesn't streak, and will last for 3+ months. It offers a deep wet look, and great shine. My other favorite is Pinnacle Spray Souveran. It only lasts for a matter or weeks, but IMO it's looks phenomenal. A true carnuba wax look to me. If we are talking OTC again however, Meguiars Quik Wax is also a great product. It's fairly easy to use, but I have seen it streak from time to time, especially if you over apply it. As for durability it's probably at about a month. nothing great, but certainly a good choice to boost in between full waxings.

Hope that answers your questions!

Downievilleman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by TLC Dave View Post
    Hey there everyone. I am a professional detailer, and I know there are a lot of products and techniques out there, so I thought a thread like this might be helpful to those of you that like to keep your Caddy looking its best. So if you have any questions related to detailing go ahead and post them here. I will either answer them myself, or if I don't know they answer I will ask some other detailers that I know. On other forums these threads get filled with great information, so hopefully that will be the same here!
    -Dave
    I have a mint 1978 Eldorado that my dad bought new and I need to know what to put on the vinyl top to protect it from the sun and other weather. Thanks Paul

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Free questions? Sure!

Last Time I did a n00b full correction(with several half-assed attempts prior) on my Black Diamond I used my 7424XP, some Meguiars MF pads and M105. Followed by 1Z HG to jewel.

It still managed to take me ~ 2 weeks to do a full correction working 2hours on weekdays and maybe 4-6 hours on weekends (with lots of breaks)

That was just far too long for me(even though I 2 bucket wash/ fully detail it every weekend)... I realize that if I want fast corrections I'll need to bump the tool power up, I haven't decided on whether I should opt for a flex or a full-blown rotary though. I've experimented with a $30 HF rotary and wool-pad on the Audi, it ended fairly well, but I still managed to heat up the clear on a taped off section enough to rip the clear right off with the painters tape. The fact that I forgot the fender was mis-aligned and raised slightly against the hood and that maybe that particular section looked like the clear was about to start flaking off contributed greatly I'm sure(not a big deal though for a 13 year old $1500 car.), but that would of course be a HUGE mistake on the Cadillac..

obviously a 2nd gen CTS has *alot* of these potential hazards being that it's designed with a ruler.

Would you suggest a flex, or a rotary with possibly more practice on the Audi? The flex will of course be safer in the short term, the rotary will provide faster corrections in the long term.

I suppose a better question is, how hard is GM clear? Hard enough that even a n00b with a rotary and some impatience could get away without any deadly mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Downievilleman View Post
    I have a mint 1978 Eldorado that my dad bought new and I need to know what to put on the vinyl top to protect it from the sun and other weather. Thanks Paul
    Hey there. A company named ragtop makes great products for all sorts of convertible tops. They have a specific cleaner and protectant for vinyl tops. I would check them out for sure.

DevilleDude00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

1. My dad used some of those free conditioned rags they give you at the car wash to wipe down the inside of my windshield (don't ask me why). The streaks left by conditioner/soap from the rag left the worst streaks I've ever seen in my life--literally gave me 0 visibility if it started to fog on the inside. I used windex and newspaper on it a few times, but there's still residual conditioner/soap on the windshield interior. It is still pretty foul when there is fog. Do you have a recommendation on how to reset it to a "clean slate," so to speak? Furthermore, what do you recommend for a DIY clean? Newspaper and windex?

2. I have massive brake dust accumulation on my wheels. Mother's aluminum polish (recommended in another thread here) did not do much for me. Is there anything I can use to get the brake dust off before using the polish?

Thanks!

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilleDude00 View Post
    2. I have massive brake dust accumulation on my wheels. Mother's aluminum polish (recommended in another thread here) did not do much for me. Is there anything I can use to get the brake dust off before using the polish?

Thanks!
    i'm not the OP but i've heard nothing but good things about the sonax wheel cleaner to clean.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black
    FWIW this is before/during/after using sonax. it sprays o yellow/green, turns blood red as it works.

if you have an inordinate amount of dust as the Vs produce, you should agitate the cleaner a couple min after spraying it.

note: i cleaned the wheel face a couple weeks prior but nothing more than using some diluted car wash.

before

during

after

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.