HID headlight help.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, HID headlight help. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just received my 9006, 10K 35w HID headlights and fog lights for my 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS yesterday. I ...
    03FreshDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS

HID headlight help.

I just received my 9006, 10K 35w HID headlights and fog lights for my 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS yesterday. I installed the bulbs, ballasts, relays, and cancelors for the headlights but when I went to test the lights before finishing up the install the driver-side headlight wouldnt come on completely. It just comes on and flickers with a low light. There is also a buzzing sound coming from the ballast. I was wondering what could be the issue? To troubleshoot I took and connected another ballast to the defective light and, same result. I also took the light and connected it to the other side where the working light is connected and it still didnt come on. Does it take time for the light to initially come on? I just turned it off when the lights didnt come on together at the same time with the same light output. Is this the result of possible fingerprints on the bulb itself? Also when installing the HID bulb it was kind of hard to install them. I had to maneuver the left and right controller to get it to fit. Was it supposed to be that hard? The reason I decided to adjust the light left and right is because when I tried to insert the HID light inside the light housing it wouldnt go in far enough to create the seal needed because the plastic piece that is assembled around the light bulb when installed is preventing the light from being inserted any further.If anyone can please chime in an help me with these issues I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: HID headlight help.

The high beams (or are the lows in your car ?) are also the DRL's. They operate at low voltage during the daytime. No way will the HID's work unless you do some rewiring and relay work.

HID's normally go in the low beams only because it takes a while for HID's to strike the arc and come up to brightness - put them in the high beams and at night you have several seconds of darkness during the low-high changeover if the car uses a 2-bulb at a time lighting system. If the car uses a 4-bulb system then the changeover isn't so bad.

You need to aim your headlights because it now sounds as if your car will be a royal pain for both oncoming vehicles and those you're following.

10K is pretty dark - not much light there.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

You have several issues working against you when you install HID light sources in vehicles that were not designed for HID light sources. One at a time, here are possible solutions to your problems. Buyer beware!

Quote Originally Posted by 03FreshDTS View Post
    I just received my 9006, 10K 35w HID headlights and fog lights for my 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS yesterday. I installed the bulbs, ballasts, relays, and cancelors for the headlights but when I went to test the lights before finishing up the install the driver-side headlight wouldnt come on completely.....
    Just to be clear up front; your are installing these HID replacements for a standard 9006 bulb in the LOW beam socket, correct?

Why where and how did you install the relays?

What is a "cancelor"?
    ....Also when installing the HID bulb it was kind of hard to install them.....
    The reason I decided to adjust the light left and right is because when I tried to insert the HID light inside the light housing it wouldnt go in far enough to create the seal needed because the plastic piece that is assembled around the light bulb when installed is preventing the light from being inserted any further.
    The "plastic piece" over the HID bulb is only for protection during the shipping process. It can be a rough boat ride across the Pacific ocean.

Remove the "plastic piece" and install the HID bulbs properly.

All your buzzing and flickering could be related to your year/model using the LOW beams as DRL (Daytime Running Lights) and IF that is the case, you can remove either the 15A DRL fuse or the DRL relay; both in the underhood fuse box.

I can promise you will not be pleased with the lighting when switching between LOW beam and HIGH beam when driving in deer country. Your HID LOW beam lamps need several seconds to reach operating voltage/temperature and that will be a memorable experience at 55 MPH.
    There is a simple modification to keep the LOW beam lamps ON when HIGH beams are selected which will take care of that issue.

If you answer my questions at the top of this post, I might be able to walk you through the issues.

03FreshDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Deville DTS

I am installing 9006 35w 10k HID headlights in the low beam socket.

"Warning Canceler"

Many cars may get a flickering or strobe effect after installation of a standard HID Kit. This problem is common on vehicles with the CAN-BUS system or vehicles equipped with day running lights. This HID Capacitor can be installed to prevent these problems from happening to you.

After installation of the capacitor your lights will no longer flicker and shut off. In addition the capacitor will eliminate the "Bulb Out" or "Bulb Failure" warning lights.

Features
    - Works similar to the wiring harness found in new luxury vehicles. This eliminates the error messages found on the dash board of newer luxury cars.
    - Solves the computer error warning such as the "CAN-BUS Wiring Problem" encountered during the installation of HID Kits.
    - Easy Installation: Simply connect the power supply to your ballast through this cable.
    - Works with 35 Watt Bulbs.
    - Voltage: 9 - 16 volts.

Our capacitor works great in Cadillacs, Chrysler such as the 300, Dodges such as the Charger, Magnum, and Fords such as the Five Hundred and F-150.

This cable fits VEHICLES WITH COMPUTER CONTROLLED HEADLIGHTS. Some known examples are: BMWs 1992-Up (Low Beam and Fog Lights), Volkswagen 2005-Up: Beetles, Passats, Golf, GTI's and Rabbit's (For Headlights and Fog Lights), Dodge Ram Pickups 1999-2008 (For Headlights Only), Dodge Ram Pickups 2009-UP (For both Low Beam and High Beam), Jeeps 1999-Up (For Headlights Only), Chrysler Vehicles 1999-Up (For Headlights Only), Volvos 1999-Up (For Headlights Only), Mercedes 1994-Up (For Headlights and most Fog Lights), Ford 2006-Up Fusion, Explorer, Expedition, Mustang, Edge, Focus and Five Hundred (For Headlights Only), Dodge Chargers 2006-Up (For Headlights Only), Newer Lexus (Low Beam), Audi 1998-Up (Low Beam).

Also. I think your confused about the "plastic piece". The plastic piece that I am talking about is actually inside of the the headlight housing and not on the HID light itself. It is in socket that the HID bulb goes. It is a little hard for me to get my 9006 low beam headlight bulbs in because this "plastic piece is not allowing me to insert the bulb into the socket enough to turn and lock the bulb in place.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Good luck!!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Try this, the headlight plug that goes into the ballast, turn it around and plug it in that way. Probably for about 10 years I would add HID's to cars/trucks without them at our shops, and for whatever reason turning the plug around on many lights made them work, I got that from a Philips Lighting sales rep.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.