22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, 22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; i installed the 22 inc in my car yesterday. the wheel is 255/30/22 when i turn the car hard i ...
    nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS

i installed the 22 inc in my car yesterday. the wheel is 255/30/22
    when i turn the car hard i hear a little bit rubbing. how can i fix it ? do i need to cut something ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

Re: 22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS

first off man it looks clean however if its a daily driver and its is take them off. the reason being is that if the rims are bigger than 8.5 on the width when you turn they are going to rub . the car is designed to turn a certain size tire and going bigger throws everything off. for instance the braking the rotors all going to go out and the leveling system its going to have problems when you have a car filled with people and a full take as for the tranni my friend had a 02 seville 22s same size tire and his tranni went out out twice in a 6 month period. its just too much on the cars suspension and costly i would throw some vogue rims on it and some vogue tires and call it a day. the older generation is going to hammer you on this but im not too older than you 28 and seeing this and trying this i was a victim of a tranni going bad due to rims ... but if you do insist you cantake the inner wheel well out and try spacers or a smaller tire. good luck

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i like stock, but anything more than 20" is asking for a lot of trouble on the FWD Northstar K-Bodies

you can make it work with spacers and other 'tricks' but the physics of the chassis/brakes/steering/suspension are all thrown off by too much when you go that big and you end up with problems like this

other potential problems were mentioned above... add to that the possibility of excessive tread wear (especially on the fronts) ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

i don't care about the suspenstion. Strut or Shock. i just replace it and it still in Warranty. or Brake rotor or pad is cheap.
    i use this car for daily drive. but this wheel will kill the transmission ? why ? because it is not too heavy and if the car carry it...it look like carry more 1 kid.
    i put the original stock rim and this rim in the scale. this wheel and tire just 10 kg heavier than the stock. i mean 4 wheel.
    and when i go 65 mph(the cluster said) the original speeds 68 MPH.

The transmission was designed to turn a certain tire size and anything more than plus two is asking for trouble. Putting The transmission to turn bigger rims than usual is making it work harder plus worsing off your gas milage. On the strut issue to replace a strut on just the rear is going to range 400-600 .also it will void a warranty by the Caddy dealership if they see those rims or the wear and tear is noticeable from that.another thing if your air strut strikes a leak and your car rear end drops you cant drive it to the shop verses if you had a stock or slightly larger you would be able to drive it in. Check other forums on larger rims

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

dont go bigger then 20s i drove 2 summers about 45-50k miles on 20s in 2 sumemrs and not one problem was caused by the rims
    22s i had for about 2 weeks and they where terible

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang View Post
    i don't care about the suspenstion. Strut or Shock. i just replace it and it still in Warranty. or Brake rotor or pad is cheap.
    i use this car for daily drive. but this wheel will kill the transmission ? why ? because it is not too heavy and if the car carry it...it look like carry more 1 kid.
    i put the original stock rim and this rim in the scale. this wheel and tire just 10 kg heavier than the stock. i mean 4 wheel.
    and when i go 65 mph(the cluster said) the original speeds 68 MPH.
    better be carfull and read your warranty info
    and also find out about things
    cause when you change stuff from it's original specs sometimes that will void your warranty

When i was looking at a 09 Charger Last year in April before deciding to get the HG's done on the caddy
    the dealer said that if i put my 20s on that charger it will void out some warranty like drive train and other things cause they are not original specs
    that also went for steering and suspension stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup View Post
    better be carfull and read your warranty info
    and also find out about things
    cause when you change stuff from it's original specs sometimes that will void your warranty

When i was looking at a 09 Charger Last year in April before deciding to get the HG's done on the caddy
    the dealer said that if i put my 20s on that charger it will void out some warranty like drive train and other things cause they are not original specs
    that also went for steering and suspension stuff

i so agree and ironically i was talking to a friend of mine and he shared a story when he had 22s on his 02 seville he hit one of those metal sheets they put in the roads to cover a hole in the road and behind it was a pot hole. and we all know what happened next. his to front tires had the air knocked out and he cracked one rim.... he had the same tire size you have. discount tire recommends no bigger than 20s but hey i would personally go no bigger than 18 since your factory size is 16. as a owner of two caddys total and being around them learning how they word FWD caddies and rims don't mix . its like oil and coolant. if you want 22s on a lac get a 70s model thats RWD or a another RWD caddy. the reason is your drive train in the front (transverse motor) and you turn in the front verses the drive train in the back. but im say its clean i envy you cause i wouldn't do that to a deville again. i miss my 100 spokes but with the suspension parts and brakes going out twice as fast my pockets say no.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

What about the newer 2006-2011 models? I'm interested about this because I was contemplating whether I should put 20's or 22's on my 2011 DTS.

i believe the 06-11 models are fwd so no i wouldn't go bigger than 17" but if you don't want to take our advice keep the rims on the car and let time take its course. its not we are your mechanic telling you this we are giving u advice for free so there is no gain on our part. so if the car is a daily driver take them off. if its a sundays car or every once in a while u might be ok. caddy are hi manint as it is if you use them as a daily driver but to add more strain to your drive train is a receipe for disaister

OP, the easiest way to deal with your situation is to get thinner tires. Your tires are 10 inches wide. You probably need to go with a 9" wide rim. That's most likely the easiest way to keep 22" rims on the vehicle without rubbing.

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

Here's a Deville DHS running on 28 inch rims

If I remember correctly... to make 22s work you need to get a 2 inch lift on all 4 corners and you MAYBE have to trim the wheel well. As far as performance/braking/mechanical issues I suppose if someone wants big rims they're gonna want to drive slow so everyone can see the bling yeah?

its not driving slow so everyone can see. its incase you hit a pothole or bump in the road you wont have the space between the car and frame for the wheel to move freely in the wheel well good luck trying to react to an un expected pothole in them 28s. u want big wheels get a suvs its a cadillac not a tractor

Those 28" rims look nice. You can see there's no rub probably because those are only 8" wide rims. Just go with a thinner rim and you should be good.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

you need to downsize the rims by at least 2 inches and make them narrower by 2 inches. the first is so you dont cause trans or engine failures (seen it happen many times). the second is obvious clearance issues.
    as for the 28's- those rims look like they're 10 inches wide- but they have wheel spacers behind them (notice how the rim sticks out past the body). IMO that deville looks like a ghetto micro machine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.