22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, 22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I think he would need spacers because the rims have more of a RWD offset. But if he has spacers ...
    ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Re: 22" rim rubbing in 2000 DHS

I think he would need spacers because the rims have more of a RWD offset. But if he has spacers then that explains why the rims are barely sticking out. I've had a 9" rim with a FWD offset that fit just fine on a older caddy with a smaller wheel well.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

22's on these cars can be done with no problems what so ever. You either have a rim that is wider than 8.5" or the incorrect offset on your rims. If I can remember the offset should be anywhere between +30 thru +40 on these cars. I also noticed your tires are 255's and you should have 245's. Thats the tread width and if your tread width is too wide that will cause rubbing. I have 20's on my STS and had 22's on it before I sold them this spring and never had any problems. Matter of fact I have NEVER had any issues whatsoever with putting rims on any car I have owned. As long as you stay within the right specs (offset, bolt pattern, width, tire size etc) the only thing that should slightly change is your ride quality. Yes your going to lose some of that Cadillac ride but if installed correctly with some decent tires, it shouldnt be much worse. Installing 22's on these cars doesnt require any lift kits or anything, they should tuck right under the car with no problems. People just make the mistake of thinking ANY 22" rim thats 5x115mm will work.

Chrome STSss.jpg

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

[QUOTE=SPreston2001;2645941] I also noticed your tires are 255's and you should have 245's. Thats the tread width and if your tread width is too wide that will cause rubbing./QUOTE]

Ummmm.................No. Those numbers - 235, 245, 255 - are tire section width. Treadwidth is an entirely different figure, and is only found in the individual tire specs in www.tirerack.com

If the new tire outside diameter is greater than OEM then rubbing, transmission, and speedo errors come into play - those OD figures also come from each tire's spec sheet.

Sorry Sub thats what I meant when I said tread width. When I had 22's on my STS I could turn my wheel as tight as can be without any rubbing. I sold them because I never really fell in love with the style of the rim but I got them for a steal so I couldnt pass them up. I sold them for more than I paid for them and thats when I brought the 20's that are on there now. I know plenty of people with 22" rims on these FWD Devilles/Sevilles and have absolutely no rubbing issues. My 22's still had the little stems on the tires when I sold them.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yep - My analogy is that, if you keep the same outside diameter as stock (in order to keep the proper speedo, powertrain, and shift controls), you could then run "27's" (just wheels, no tires) with no rubbing - but the ride would be a bit weird.

If the car originally had 16's, then the 27" OD figure would give 5.5" of air and rubber between the wheel and ground. 17's, then 5" of cushion. 22's, then only 2.5" of cushion - and a harsh ride for the suspension to try and control. 24's or larger and the necessary tire diameter increases make the car look like some sort of Florida swamp buggy.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

liked for:
    Florida swamp buggy.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Anytime you have to install a lift kit to fit a set of rims you've gone too far lol.

Rim sizes are getting ridiculous....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.