Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Funny I told myself that I would never buy a black car again. What do you know. So I just ...
    rednumbers is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new

Funny I told myself that I would never buy a black car again. What do you know. So I just picked up my car 2 weeks ago brand new but the was on the lot for awhile. Paint wasn't looking the best.

So I looking for some sugguestions in waxes and polishes and what you do to make the car look great. I have a bunch of small minor scratches i need to get out.

I have heard the zaino is pretty good. Never used it and just normally usually use meguiars stuff from autozone

Any recomendations

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddy Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon 6MT Crystal Red all options NO sunroof

Re: Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new

LOTS of good info about detailing here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/

mberisha is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Black Escalade AWD & '06 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rednumbers View Post
    Funny I told myself that I would never buy a black car again. What do you know. So I just picked up my car 2 weeks ago brand new but the was on the lot for awhile. Paint wasn't looking the best.

So I looking for some sugguestions in waxes and polishes and what you do to make the car look great. I have a bunch of small minor scratches i need to get out.

I have heard the zaino is pretty good. Never used it and just normally usually use meguiars stuff from autozone

Any recomendations
    Zaino....start out w/Z-PC for the swirls and scratches....then Z-5...and for a high-gloss finish up w/Z-2.....

I usually do the series over a week or so....but if you had the time...you could probably get it all done in about 3-4hours....

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

Quote Originally Posted by rednumbers View Post

Any recomendations
    Well every time this comes up I usually hear Zaino and Griots. I am partial to Griots myself www.griotsgarage.com, I purchased pretty much their whole line including the RO buffer.
    For just the exterior, something like this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do

To get out light scratches, first I clay the car to make sure you don't scratch it further, I use Machine Polish 3, then the Best of Show Wax. The paint usually looks wet at that point. You need to switch over to very soft microfiber cloth's on the exterior too to eliminate more scratches.

When I sold my last blk/blk CTS, the owner called about a month later to see what I had on it when he bought it since he could never get it as glossy and wet looking with any other waxes he bought. I heard that Zaino is the same, although I hear of some people putting on coat after coat of Zaino for the look and it can be very time consuming. The Random Orbital can be your friend if used correctly.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by mberisha View Post
    Zaino....start out w/Z-PC for the swirls and scratches....then Z-5...and for a high-gloss finish up w/Z-2.....

I usually do the series over a week or so....but if you had the time...you could probably get it all done in about 3-4hours....
    Agreed. If you are thinking of doing multiple applications within a 24 hour period, you will need the ZFX as well.

I use the Z-6 gloss enhancer between applications. If the car has some sort of polish or wax currently on it, consider washing the car using Dawn dishwashing liquid to strip the old wax and then claybar the finish before starting the Zaino applications. Some use the Z-8 Grande Finale at the end of the process.

Best regards,

Elie

Domsz06 is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06

dawn wash it

zaino clay bar it

re wash it with zaino

then apply their polishes. It's what I did on my z06 when I bought it new and the silver still looks great!

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Zaino AIO is a great product for a daily driver to use in place of the ZPC for a "one application" method FWIW if the swirls aren't too bad...it will diminish them slightly.

But I agree with above...for more enhancement do Z5, Z6, Z2 and another layer of Z5 followed by Z8 after the initial application of ZPC...you'll be able to stick your finger in the black paint

I use Griot's RO and orange polish pads with my Zaino...they work beautifully together.

NROTIK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

If anyone living in south east Michigan that has been paying someone to detail their v and/or now wants to learn to detail it. give me a bump.. We can make arrangements to teach you how to do it..

translux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10' V Blk/Blk Manual Trans

Getting ready for my spring detail on my black V.
    Car detailing is a hobby for me as I find it relaxing.
    I use a combination of things but love the 3M pro products.
    Here is a nice basic guide to products and applications.
    Disclaimer: Some of these products and processes applied incorrectly can ruin your paint.
    http://3mcollision.com/media/documen...ing_Manual.pdf

I also swear by using dionized water
    http://crspotless.com/

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Zaino takes FOREVER.

Much easier way - the Wet Ice over Fire shine: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...eovfishon.html

Basically, it's:

- clay bar (I think clay bars are really hard to use though and would skip this unless the car really needs it)
    - polishing compound
    - Polymer sealant/wax
    - carnuba wax
    - detail spray

Works good, and the sell the whole kit and the 7424 polisher.

Some advice from me on how to wash a black car:

- Spray car down with hose
    - Use sheepskin mit and good car soap
    - After every wipe wash the sheepskin out in plain water bucket before going to soap bucket
    - Spray with hose when done with soap
    - When done, LAY 5-10 towels on car. Move them around to different spots until car is dry. Don't WIPE car with towels.
    - Car will be blotchy. Spray with detail spray, wipe with mircrofiber

This process minimizes swirls.

None of these products/processes can harm your car in any way! Even if applied incorrectly! It just won't be as awesome.

Mark58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

Almost done with my Black Raven DTS

Worked well for me. Forget doing it by hand you will never get it done right.
    http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43209
    Attached Images

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

^^^What if you dry with microfiber?

Mark58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

That will work great

translux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10' V Blk/Blk Manual Trans

Nothing cloth including microfiber for drying A clean wet absorber is the way to go for drying
    http://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Synth.../dp/B0000AY69V
    Follow the instructions on proper conditioning prior to use.

Microfiber wash mit is good.
    Use a mild detergent something like Autoglym with diionized water.
    I use three different mits a newer from the top part of the car, another for the lower part of the car and one for the rims and inside of the fenders. I rotate through these moving each down the chain often.
    A great wash is the key.

Then either wait for the car to fully dry or use a compressor to blow out the water from trim and receses.
    Then strart the polishing and waxing process.
    I would blue tape off the trim, molding,windows etc. anything you don't want to get product on.
    Last tip with product less is more. Most people use way to much product.

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

I would never use a polish on new paint/clear. However, the clay bar is wise to use.
    Wax is a personal preference and for me, I have tried a bunch. I tried the Zaino product before and was highly unimpressed. The amount of time and steps involved was a joke. I found a wax called Cherry Wet Wax and have used that for 9 years now. This is the only wax I have found that leaves a dark color looking wet. I use this, and then in between washes, I use Meguiars quick detailer. I usually go 3-4 months in between details, and the CTS only takes about 2hrs to fully detail. Yes, only two hrs to get a "better than Zaino" finish.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.