Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; All in Ones (AIO) and synthetic polymer polishes leave blacks shiny but with a plastic like look. There is nothing ...
    musclesbmf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 GTR

Re: Black Raven- what wax and steps to make the car shine as new

All in Ones (AIO) and synthetic polymer polishes leave blacks shiny but with a plastic like look. There is nothing like a good Carnauba wax to make a black car look wet. I'm getting ready to use the Griot's next weekend for the first time and looking forward to the results.

Mark

Wannago is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, Black, Auto

Wolfgang Fuzion polish enhancer followed by Estate Wax (carnauba).

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

More wax than this, come on you guys. Cecil...........

FFBOS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS-V (613rwhp/606rwtq) 10.7@125

I swear by Zaino products. I have a used 09 that I took posession of with 7000 miles on it. Has some lighter swirls. Z5 didn't touch them, so I'm going to take a morning and get out the orbital buffer and see if I can cut them with a light polish with a cutting pad. I don't think I'll have to use an actual compound, that will really hit it hard.....

I'll do the whole car over again with a finishing polish with a super soft pad, and then apply the Z2 from Zaino. That gives the car a very wet look.

This is my first black car. It amazes me how easily black shows swirls. Even if you rub your finger against it soft it will still scratch. At least it hides tar well

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by AG'S-V View Post
    Zaino AIO is a great product for a daily driver to use in place of the ZPC for a "one application" method FWIW if the swirls aren't too bad...it will diminish them slightly.

But I agree with above...for more enhancement do Z5, Z6, Z2 and another layer of Z5 followed by Z8 after the initial application of ZPC...you'll be able to stick your finger in the black paint

I use Griot's RO and orange polish pads with my Zaino...they work beautifully together.
    My biggest issue with Zainos is the quoted post.

Use Z-4 than Z-6 then Z-998 then Z-WTF and then spritz with Z-23, Z-40 and Z-8. Then do the whole thing in Z-666 and you're all set. 41 hours of love and you're good to go. I don't doubt the results one bit. It's just I don't need a thick owners manual to detail my V.

I use Griots because it's EASY to follow and the results are amazing, like Zaino. And the Detailers Handbook is an incredibly useful tool that will teach you to detail better than a pro.

Griots car wash, clay bar and carnauba wax(or sealant if you DD a ton of miles if you prefer) and you're looking great. The polishes are numbered 1 to 4 depending on how bad the scratches. Easy, simple, great results...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by musclesbmf View Post
    All in Ones (AIO) and synthetic polymer polishes leave blacks shiny but with a plastic like look. There is nothing like a good Carnauba wax to make a black car look wet. I'm getting ready to use the Griot's next weekend for the first time and looking forward to the results.

Mark
    Let us know how you like it...

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Damn dude, it's not that hard

paul34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Agreed - head over to autopia.org and start reading around. It's always easier to learn the correct way the first time, and while it is straightforward, it's not quite just picking up some spray wax from walmart and throwing it on with whatever towels you have laying around the house

Detailing is (to make this sound a bit corny) a bit of a total lifestyle change in how you take care of your car, and not just a single, 15 minute thing you do once a year.

My recommendation is to make sure you take the time to learn proper washing technique. In the long run, this will significantly help to reduce the amount of swirling and marring you get on paint. Most people believe that black only looks good when new, and then slowly looks worse and worse until it is horrible. That's not necessarily true; with proper care, it can look great for many, many years.

translux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 10' V Blk/Blk Manual Trans

Polish or really glazes is fine as long as it's ok for clear coat and is used properly. The 3m perfectit system is fantastic.
    Ill post some results when I do it.

Frayles is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V

I am actually shocked that I haven't heard one inkling about Adams Polishes. I was a huge fan of Zaino as well, but found Adams products to be a lot easier to work with. I have been using their products for years and they are all top notch. Easy application and wipe away with the right Porter Cable machine and microfiber towels. Their detail spray is outstanding! You should all check out their site and see for yourself. http://www.adamspolishes.com/ Anyone interested in a 10 % discount code should use camaro5 at check out.

musclesbmf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 GTR

I've used Meguiar's (regular and pro), Mother's, Klasse, Menzerna, Adam's, Zaino, Blackfire, Glacier...
    And I'm really looking forward to trying the Griot's. Heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Mark

Frikiton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You guys are lucky that have your own garage and are able to do stuff yourself. But for people like me that live in the city, have to park outside and take it to hand car wash or auto car wash works differently.
    After this winter harsh snow, my black STS 06 got so many clearcoat scratches that is noticeable even when it comes out of any car wash. What can I do now that the weather is getting warmer?

What do you Caddi folks prefer hand car washes or auto(machine) ?
    My gf just told me about brushless car wash in her area that she takes her car to.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Frikiton View Post
    You guys are lucky that have your own garage and are able to do stuff yourself. But for people like me that live in the city, have to park outside and take it to hand car wash or auto car wash works differently.
    After this winter harsh snow, my black STS 06 got so many clearcoat scratches that is noticeable even when it comes out of any car wash. What can I do now that the weather is getting warmer?

What do you Caddi folks prefer hand car washes or auto(machine) ?
    My gf just told me about brushless car wash in her area that she takes her car to.
    I prefer to do it myself, with my own materials... There's no substitute for hard work and extreme care when washing or detailing a car.

To get your car back to a good condition, you need to find a good quality detailer that understands black and how to remove swirls, something that isn't easy. He can get the car right, but it will cost ya. I think a full detail is $300+.

The 'brushless' car washes are really the best for the paint, as they just spray water at the car. They are also very ineffective at getting the car clean. This is probably what you'd want to use if you just want to get the car pretty clean pretty fast.

I do have a solution for you - it's what I do on the road - and you can get basically the same results as we get in our suburban driveways. Go to a self-serve car wash, you know, where you drive in a bay and they have the wands. Put about $7.00 - $10.00 in quarters into the machine so they can't complain.

- Spray the car with soap. Do this as good as possible. Try to get most of the dirt off the car.
    - Go around to each panel with a lambswool wash mit. Spray the panel, wipe it with the mit. Spray the mit. Keep the mit clean. Move on to next panel. Do this from the top down.
    - Wheels, same treatment. Keep mit clean.
    - Now spray the whole car with the rinse water, then spot free water.
    - Pull the car out and blot dry it with some good quality drying towels. Dry the wheels as well.
    - Now spray the whole car with a detailing spray and wipe it down.
    - Do the windows with window stuff, wipe the tires with armor all.

Stay away from tunnel washes with brushes... They will get a car clean but they swirl.
    Frikiton and Frikiton like this.

Frikiton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    I prefer to do it myself, with my own materials... There's no substitute for hard work and extreme care when washing or detailing a car.

To get your car back to a good condition, you need to find a good quality detailer that understands black and how to remove swirls, something that isn't easy. He can get the car right, but it will cost ya. I think a full detail is $300+.

The 'brushless' car washes are really the best for the paint, as they just spray water at the car. They are also very ineffective at getting the car clean. This is probably what you'd want to use if you just want to get the car pretty clean pretty fast.

I do have a solution for you - it's what I do on the road - and you can get basically the same results as we get in our suburban driveways. Go to a self-serve car wash, you know, where you drive in a bay and they have the wands. Put about $7.00 - $10.00 in quarters into the machine so they can't complain.

- Spray the car with soap. Do this as good as possible. Try to get most of the dirt off the car.
    - Go around to each panel with a lambswool wash mit. Spray the panel, wipe it with the mit. Spray the mit. Keep the mit clean. Move on to next panel. Do this from the top down.
    - Wheels, same treatment. Keep mit clean.
    - Now spray the whole car with the rinse water, then spot free water.
    - Pull the car out and blot dry it with some good quality drying towels. Dry the wheels as well.
    - Now spray the whole car with a detailing spray and wipe it down.
    - Do the windows with window stuff, wipe the tires with armor all.

Stay away from tunnel washes with brushes... They will get a car clean but they swirl.
    Thanks a lot .. I actually just saw this for the first time ever yesterday. This place was really far from me since they don't have these in the city or maybe I'll need to do some research see if there's any not so far away.

But I saw this link http://autos.aol.com/article/automatic-car-wash-tips/
    so it kinda makes me think. WTF some sources say this is good then it says its not.

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

Quote Originally Posted by Frikiton View Post
    Thanks a lot .. I actually just saw this for the first time ever yesterday. This place was really far from me since they don't have these in the city or maybe I'll need to do some research see if there's any not so far away.

But I saw this link http://autos.aol.com/article/automatic-car-wash-tips/
    so it kinda makes me think. WTF some sources say this is good then it says its not.
    The bad thing is that car washes come in so many shapes and sizes, even a 'soft cloth' car wash can have residue, calcium buildup etc on the soft cloths which can cause scratches. The problem is like others have said, touchless don't get the car very clean, especially if you don't have a really nice coat of wax on the vehicle. Detailing spray is really nice since it lubricates the paint while you are cleaning when you aren't in the wash, you can also use detailing spray with clay to get off stubborn debris from the paint. The best bet would be to get a good wash and dry locally then find somewhere where you can plug in a Random Orbital buffer in the shade and really take out the swirls with one of the products above, I use Griots. If you have absolutely no options for a power plug, your only bet may be to use a professional detailer. I wonder if there is a chance that you could use an inverter off the cigarette lighter or battery to power one up and not even need a local power outlet.
    Frikiton and Frikiton like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.