Rubberized Undercoating (for wheel wells) - any cons?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Rubberized Undercoating (for wheel wells) - any cons? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I want to make my wheel wells look more black instead of the faded black they are now. I own ...
    lbwd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD

Rubberized Undercoating (for wheel wells) - any cons?

I want to make my wheel wells look more black instead of the faded black they are now. I own a 1996 Seville STS and have heard about this rubberized undercoating that auto detailers use.

Are there any big cons or anything I should watch out for? What about other areas that could be undercoated--are there any?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

superprohero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Cadillac CTS

Re: Rubberized Undercoating (for wheel wells) - any cons?

I've been in a body shop for years and we used to use rubberized undercoat especially to cover up paint overspray in the wheel wells and on frame rails. Now we tape and paper everything off better.

It's OK for applying over steel wheel wells such as in the rear but I wouldn't spray it on plastic wheel wells/splash shields because it will not stick long term and once it starts flaking off it looks crappy.
    You're better off to use a really good cleaner like Blue Max from Car Brite and scrub them, then coat them with Armor All or some other detailing slick stuff.

If you do go with undercoat I would use a good brand like 3M.

lbwd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD

Thank you, superprohero. I think I'll take the cleaner and slick coating route.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

For an inexpensive black dressing for front wheel wells I have used stove pipe black liquid, I wouldn't even call it paint,it's
    like water,and it does a good job, very easy to apply.

K@ddiD@ddi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Yea under coating doesnt work well on plastic its supposed to be rubberized so it flexes but it still flakes, unless you clean the plastic really well, then sand it rough and use plastic self etching primer, then the undercoat.....too much work for that, clean plastic looks better

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.