leather and vinyl or all vinyl
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, leather and vinyl or all vinyl in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 1980 Cadillac Coupe. Trim color is 603 Sierra Saddle. It has leather seating areas with matching vinyl. ...
    1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

leather and vinyl or all vinyl

I have a 1980 Cadillac Coupe. Trim color is 603 Sierra Saddle. It has leather seating areas with matching vinyl. Sadly the leather is cracking and fading. Found this website that carries the exact color I need.
    My question is should I go original leather/vinyl or all vinyl?
    There price for a leather hide is $14.95 a square foot; average hide is 55 square feet.
    Price of vinyl a yard is $45.00

Would it matter? I have a friend who redid his front seats in vinyl and came out good. Would really like to do original but price of the leather is .

What's your opinion?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Flash man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Cadillac Seville

Re: leather and vinyl or all vinyl

Leather is nice and has a rich smell. But you will have to keep it conditioned regularly so it does not crack. I reupholstered my seats in my 86 Corvette. I decided to go with leather like (vinyl) seat covers. They look good. The leather seat covers were 900.00. The vinyl was 300.00. The question is. Are you going to keep your car for many years to come? If not, than go with the vinyl if it satisfies you. Its your car and your pocket. We can only give you our opinions. But the choice is yours. Good Luck.

Joe Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Flash man View Post
    Leather is nice and has a rich smell. But you will have to keep it conditioned regularly so it does not crack. I reupholstered my seats in my 86 Corvette. I decided to go with leather like (vinyl) seat covers. They look good. The leather seat covers were 900.00. The vinyl was 300.00. The question is. Are you going to keep your car for many years to come? If not, than go with the vinyl if it satisfies you. Its your car and your pocket. We can only give you our opinions. But the choice is yours. Good Luck.

Joe Flash
    Leather IS nice but like you said I'll have to keep it conditioned to maintain it. So you did your seats in vinyl? I have had my car for 10 years now and I do plan on keeping it for as long as I can. I had 2 full hides to re-do my seats but it I choose not to do them as the hides were not the correct color and would not match with the existing vinyl on door and rear trim.
    I have found many sites offering seat covers but they do not have the color I need. I have thought also to replace the seats with those off of a newer model but would have to either re-do the seats or dye them.
    Chances are I'm better off purchasing the exact color instead and spend the extra $ for it.
    Thanks for your opinion.

how about swapping complete seats off a D'Elegance? Saw this nice interior off an 83 sedan. Can velour be dyed? I know vinyl can. They only want $15 per front seat and like $25 for the rear set. Not bad, I say.

Flash man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Cadillac Seville

Hi,

Crushed Velour or fabric seats can be dyed with an aerosol dye. But it does not wear well and will have to be touched up often. Same goes for carpets in high traffic areas. A liquid dye will work better, but it may make the fabric hard and the dye may bleed off on your clothes if it gets wet. Vinyl, leather and plastic can be dyed with an aerosol dye and will wear well. If you do a color change you may have to touch it up periodically.I have dyed many interiors in my cars and they hold up well.

Joe Flash man

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.