Can this trim (photo inside) be taken out and painted?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Can this trim (photo inside) be taken out and painted? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; On my Seville STS (1996), I want to know if the silver trim comes out or if I have to ...
    lbwd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD

Can this trim (photo inside) be taken out and painted?

On my Seville STS (1996), I want to know if the silver trim comes out or if I have to paint it while it's on the car. The back bumper piece is fading and the front pieces are as well. The trim is shown in this photo which I stole from another post because I am too lazy to find my own photo.

If this can be taken out, do you have recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Can this trim (photo inside) be taken out and painted?

Aren't those strips secured with double-sided 3M adhesive tape ? Maybe a long session with a warm hair dryer..............ask your local good body shop. They do that stuff every day.

Netjive8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS, 1998 Cadillac Deville (Base)

Did you ever figure out what to do about those trim pieces? I'm interested in fixing the same thing on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjive8 View Post
    Did you ever figure out what to do about those trim pieces? I'm interested in fixing the same thing on my car.
    Not yet. I haven't been to the body shop in a while. I was there getting an accent put on the trunk deck two weeks ago. I'll have to stop by sometime and see.

If you find out first, update us in this thread. I'll do the same.

Okay, it's held in with tape. The stuff comes off when you pull it. Just be careful not to scratch the body of your car when prying. You might use a cloth behind whatever it is you use to pull the molding up.

I have purchased black trim to replace the chrome trim. It's nothing OEM, it's aftermarket stuff that's the same size and everything. Also be sure to get all the tape from the old stuff off completely, so that the new stuff will stick well.

I can provide the name and item number when I receive the trim. I bought it at a local shop for about $20 per roll (18 ft) times three rolls. $60. It comes in chrome and black, whichever you prefer.

Now that I have the trim, it is made by StyleGuard (Cowles StyleGuard). The package says wheel molding. The back of the package says:

T3602C
    Black
    3/8" x 18', 9.5MM x 5.5M
    Wheel Molding Round Black

You can buy it online if you Google it. It's available in BLACK, CHROME, and GOLD. Here are my results:

Info directly from the manufacturer: http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/oe...1P&support=YES (can't buy on their site)

REMOVAL OF OLD TRIM

This is fairly easy. It's held on with double sided tape. We'll see which is better: old or new (the old has held strong since 1996). I used a butter knife and a cotton terry cloth. Use the cloth to prevent scratching by placing it under the butter knife the best you can. Once you've loosened the trim, protect the paint with more of the cloth. Wiggle a bit, and you'll then be able to grab a hold of it and SLOWLY peel the trim off.

Be careful on the side of the car, as pulling without applying a little hand pressure to the door panels may pull the panels loose. You don't want that. You must apply hand pressure (apply pressure with one hand and pull trim with the other) to those door panels.

It's easier than it sounds.

APPLYING NEW TRIM

Some trim is tucked in which is excellent because you won't have to cut at an angle -- the body will take care of it for you. With other trim, you will need to cut at an angle. I am keeping my old trim so I can measure and angle the new trim properly.

Now follow the instructions on the product's back side. I'll post tips if I have any. I am waiting until tomorrow to put the new stuff on since it needs to be at least 65 degrees F outside.

Wow, thanks, this is going to help me out a lot.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

Did you have to remove any tape residue from the old trim?

How close does it look to the original trim? I only need to replace one door right now, so I hope it doesn't make the trim on the other doors look bad by comparison, because the trim on my other doors is kinda faded. I guess I could always replace the trim around the whole car.

Thanks again for the valuable info. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Netjive8 View Post
    Did you have to remove any tape residue from the old trim?

How close does it look to the original trim?
    There is tape left over from the old trim. I will take it out tomorrow when it's bright again. After that, I'll update you on the process: whether it was easy or hard. It should be fairly easy because I pulled some off with my fingers.

As for the appearance matching the OEM trim, I am not sure yet. I'll compare them tomorrow, though I would lean to suggest replacing it all-at-once. For $60 (3 packs x $20), that's not bad at all. You can grab it even cheaper online.

I'll post a photo when it's done. The car's not so hot because the factory wheels are on for the winter, but you'll at least see the trim.

IMPORTANT
    This trim does not fit. It's too big. I just ordered 5/16" instead.

The item I ordered in 50 FEET is: 1000A42 from http://www.mcmaster.com/#orders/=4dhzr8. They're in Illinois. The manufacturer is Trim-Loc (product page: http://www.trimlok.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=31). They only sell in 500' and higher, though McMaster is a retailer who sells smaller quantities. There are probably other retailers that sell in other colors. Call Trim-Loc to find those retailers, or use their Contact page to find alist: http://www.trimlok.com/contact.aspx.

Taking the old tape off took about two hours. I used some "Label & Sticker Remover" from Advance Auto Parts and a flat head screwdriver. I didn't even cover the screwdriver, just used it bare to the paint. The panels are fiberglass (or similar) anyway.

I'll be back with photos after the install...

Job Complete

I ordered that trim overnight, so it showed up before I woke up this morning. 5/16" is perfect. The install went pretty well. I peeled the backing of the adhesive as I went along to prevent myself from screwing up, also using my fingers to press on the new trim as I applied it. It was simple.

For the back bumper, I had my brother hold the trim roll because I cut the first too short. I recommend having someone hold the trim roll as you move along the back bumper, THEN cut once you reach the end. The design of the car is nice because the trim tucks under the body so that you don't have to cut perfectly.

Before applying the new trim, I used a wet cloth to remove excess dirt and tape residue (from the old trim).

So far everyone I have shown likes the black over the chrome. Bear in mind I also have a red and black color scheme. Questions or comments, just post.

Here are some photos:

Thanks for the pics, I'll have to see if I can find the chrome equivalent and try this myself.

I'm having trouble finding the 5/16" chrome version. I know you said that the 3/8" was too big, but do you think that 1/4" would work? Thanks.

Old Skool Soldier is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How did you tint the rear lights, and where did you find a spoiler? Price? thanks in advance. I have a 97 same colour with 15% tint.

-OSS

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool Soldier View Post
    How did you tint the rear lights, and where did you find a spoiler? Price? thanks in advance. I have a 97 same colour with 15% tint.

-OSS
    I wet sanded the tail lights and used Nite Shades, then wet sanded again and polished them. I have three coats of Nite Shades on there. The spoiler is from Wings West which I purchased through eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...Q5fAccessories. That's a better price (mine was close to $300). Exact same product. The body shop did use a better adhesive than what was included with the spoiler.

These modifications will make a great visual improvement. Good luck.

18" wheels also look good. Here are mine from my iPhone's terrible camera:

It's also lowered 1" via Eibach. The springs are no longer made and are hard to come by. Also there's an Addco anti-sway bar in front.

cadillac_yac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac Deville 4.6L

anyone know what size the trim molding is for a 99 deville?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.