Whats in your cleaning/detailing kits?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Whats in your cleaning/detailing kits? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So I'm curious....what is in everyone else's cleaning and detailing arsenal. I've got pictured below what I'm currently using and ...
    iowasevillests is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab

Whats in your cleaning/detailing kits?

So I'm curious....what is in everyone else's cleaning and detailing arsenal. I've got pictured below what I'm currently using and would love to see what other people are doing and how they like it.

Working from the front row, left to right is
    • Bug and tar remover
    • Wheel Wax for keeping my 17's nice and pretty
    • Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    • RainX Exterior Glass Treatment
    • My own glass cleaner mix, roughly a 1:6 mixture of denatured alcohol and distilled water.
    Boxes:
    • Cobra Microfiber Kit, including 2 guzzler drying towels, 2 applicator pads, wash mit and sponge.
    • Leatherique Leather Cleaning Kit....pricey but amazing stuff when used correctly
    Top Row
    • Meguiar's quick detailing spray
    • Meguiar's Shine Vinyl and Plastic Cleaner/Detailer, the best stuff I've found so far
    • Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer for getting the various black components back to black.
    • Leather and vinyl cleaner for light stains or spills
    • Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tire Conditioner....works great and even smells like Grape Bubblegum!

But thats what I'm currently using....next on my list to get is a Porter Cable DA Buffer/Polisher and Wolfgang Swirl Remover compound and some cutting pads to give the car a good workover and removing the spots and swirls that have accumulated.

What do you guys think, what are you using and what have you had success with or are staying away from?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Re: Whats in your cleaning/detailing kits?

I like that Blue Magic Leather Cleaner you have, I use it on the entire seating area and love the smell.

My arsenal is pretty small

- Blue Magic Leather Cleaner/Conditioner
    - Turtle Wax wheel cleaner, F47 I think is what its called, Not much luck with it on my wheels, It works, But not better then just regular soap
    - Eagle One Vinyl Cleaner for the dash, door panels etc.
    - I do have a meguiar's clay bar kit, but rarely use it
    - Leather CPR, Not bad stuff, Have to make sure its buffed out though or it leaves white streaks. Usually use it right before the Blue Magic
    - Some cheap ol tire spray/shine

I live in an apartment so I don't get the oppurtunity to go totally crazy detailing, Just try to keep it good looking using what is available at the DIY carwash tunnel.

Hey we make do with what we can, before now I was in college so I rarely had a chance to get the vehicle looking nice(though at that time it was an SUV so it didn't look as bad dirty). Now that I've got a garage its much easier to keep it looking decent.

I also like the way the smell of the Blue Magic leather cleaner, its not quite as good as the smell of the Leatherique as that's more of a new leather smell, but it only takes a couple minutes for the Blue Magic where the Leatherique is a multi step process over an entire day....so they each have their time and place.

caddolicious is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

Hey All,

Yep, spring is around the corner (although we just had an ice storm this morning) and it's time to consider detailing again.

Here's the stuff I have in my bucket:

Tools: Sheep skin mitt
    Standard bucket (no grit guard)
    Cobra Guzzler
    MF applicator pads
    MF detail cloths
    Cheap $1 Store wheel brushes.

Products: Meguiars Hot Rims (amazing stuff but don't let it sit too long)
    P21s degreaser (just along the rockers and door jams, lifts salty sludge well)
    Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo (I think it has the best lubricity $ for $)
    Mother's clay (one of the softer clays, needs alot of lube)
    Meguiars non-abrasive paint cleaner (great results after a winter of salt and grime is thrown at the paint).
    Crystal-glo Acrylic Paint Sealant (just used it, great stuff, crazy hard finish)
    Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer (amazing stuff works well with synthetic sealant base).

Interior: 303 Cleaner (I use it everywhere, dash, matts, rocker inserts, engine etc.)
    303 Protectant (Love this stuff, it seems to last forever, not greasy so dust comes off easy)
    Oxi-Clean (Dilute for spray application to clean carpets, it really kills salt stains).
    Gunk Invisible Glass Cleaner (cheap and effective).

I have used the Wolfgang paint sealant and found it difficult to remove, the result was great, but too expensive.
    I just tried the Crystal-glo on the weekend and it came off great (only +9C outside). I layered to applications with only 30minutes in between. The second coat made it really pop. I can't comment on the durability though. Also, it cheaper than Wolfganger and available at Home Hardware in Canada.
    I'm a new convert to the 303 products too. I really like how it doesn't attract dust like Armour All.

But another fantastic ice storm this morning covered all the hard work. Probably have to do it all over again this weekend.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I've been meaning to try 303 products, Not readily available locally though, Only one or two stores in a 20 mile radius carries them. I'm glad I live in the south, No worries about salt or ice storms. Problem we do have though is pollen, Does the paint sealant make rinsing pollen or dust off the car with water alone easier, or do you still have to do a full wash everytime.

The tire cleaner I use above is called "Son-of-a-Gun", Sometimes I will carefully spray it on the black plastic in the wheel wells to make them shine, not sure if its harmful or not, I just always make sure to avoid painted surfaces as it is strong stuff

Quote Originally Posted by caddolicious View Post
    Oxi-Clean (Dilute for spray application to clean carpets, it really kills salt stains).
    I'm going to have to try that, I've got Oxi-Clean and an extra spray bottle already, and the front carpets could really use some work.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The usual assortment........

caddolicious is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

Hey all,

A couple of you mentioned that "Blue Magic" leather cleaner/prep. Is that stuff designed for "raw" leather or the "treated/finished" leather? I was told by a fellow detailing enthusiast that much of the leather in new North American vehicles is treated with a poly-vinyl finish and so traditional leather treatments won't absorb through the vinyl. Is there any harm in using it on vinyl treated leather? Where did you get it?

I have been using 303 protectant and it does a great job in terms of visual properties, BUT, it doesn't have that "new leather" scent that you guys speak of (is smells sort of "disinfectant" like). Just like a donut shop wouldn't be complete without the smell of fresh coffee, a luxery car is not complete without that nice leather scent.

My old man used some of those son-of-a-gun products on his ride, it worked well but lacked durability. I find 303 (cleaner & protectant) is nice on the wheels if you're not looking for a high gloss, it lasts about 2 weeks.

Great thread. Love the pics with all the nice products.

caddolicious: I picked up the Blue Magic leather cleaner at the local auto parts I believe, another brand that lots of people have success with is Lexol. Far as the new leather smell, in my opinion you can't beat the smell and performance of Leatherique......now be warned its pricey stuff(about 60 bucks for the kit....should work for your car for about 2-4 times), and will take you about 2 or 3 hours spread out over an entire day as it has to soak in, but the difference in my seats is easily noticeable. I did the front two seats and had had people ask what I did to get the leather that soft, the leather is good to begin with but the fronts are much nicer than the backs now. As soon as it warms up I'm going to do all the seats again.

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Zymol's leather cream was good until I used Leatherique.com's complete treatment. It does take some time, but the results are fantastic and worth all of the effort.....both smell and feel of "leather" returns. All of the leather that I have, belts, gloves, wallets, etc. return to life with that treatment.

mysedan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 sedan deville

hmmm

Megauirs fine cut2 for polishing and most buffing tasks
    Megauirs waxes (various different ones for how much I really depending on wether I need a buffing or not) but mostly carnuba's
    Lexol leather interior cleaner
    Mr Clean magic Erasers
    gunk glass cleaner
    purple power degreaser (awesome on the carpets! just gotta be reay to shop vac out)
    Pledge (used on displays and helps repel the dust)(works even better if you take your bezels off and polish the insides up and then spray)
    various different cloth's (microfiber and regualr terry cloth)
    Claybars
    quik detailer
    mothers wheel polish
    The powerball thingy
    Dewalt buffer/polisher/grinder
    wheel acid (but thats only for chrome spokes..not for my wheels)

sure I got some other junk laying around.

Prolly helps I owned a detail shop for a few years.

I miss most of all my diesel powered high powered heated pressure washer...loved that baby. Nothing...absolutely nothing it COULDNT clean out. (ok...I miss my Milwaukee buffers too...those things were awesome)

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

This is most of it..........

Most is Griots, some Meguiars, some other stuff that has accumulated too.

Superior Detailing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 EXT

I've got a little bit of stuff Sad truth is, that's not even half of my products. I've always liked owning a clean car.

Holy crap man, I'm assuming from that setup and your name you use that as a source of income as well as something to do after work/on the weekends?

TANGLDWEB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac STS

Holly Molly!,.. and all I have is a EU2000i Honda Generator! : ) Always Liked Black Magic because of it's Lasting Ability and though I havent purchased any of the New Armorall products, they Always seemed to be a Covering, not a Treatment. Will tell ya that Anything with Bee's wax is Good for Anything,.. including People!!! Looks like I'm Shopping again,.. and I thought Buying the Car and Manuals was Enough! hehe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.