removing faux soft-top on '95 deville?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, removing faux soft-top on '95 deville? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hey guys. one of the things i really dislike about my caddi is the faux top thing, and i'm really ...
    trojannemo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

removing faux soft-top on '95 deville?

hey guys.

one of the things i really dislike about my caddi is the faux top thing, and i'm really itching to get it off. how big of a job is it to do? i've already seen how to take off the door ones and all the screws going around the rear window, but here's a question...how do i take off the roof cover? do i have to take out screws under the headliner or something like that?

once we manage to take it off...how many holes are we looking at having to bondo? can i assume that the metal under the faux top is painted? i'm planning on painting the car afterwards...

any info on this, but more to the point, links to previously-completed projects like this, would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

Re: removing faux soft-top on '95 deville?

I am not sure about this year but the one on my '88 is never coming off. When installed at the factory they actually drilled roughly 100 holes in the roof. The top has little pegs that go into these holes and then they are glued in and sealed to prevent water leakage. A well known roof guy in the Chicago area (Uni-Sun systems in Lombard, IL) told me that back in the day it was roughly a $2000 job to remove the old top and about $1500 to put a new one on.

holy shit

i really hope that's not the case with my ride if it is, i'm going to be rocking this ugly ass faux top for the life of the caddi

Mattillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '95 Sedan DeVille

What color is it and how much would you sell it for assuming it's in good shape?

if it was in good condition it wouldnt bother me! i wouldn't recommend you buy it man. it's got paint specks all over, the door ones have the edges all ugly and it's kinda faded/stained so some parts look different than others.

i would really appreciate more info on this guys. my stepdad's brother paints boats and stuff, and he's going to paint my stepdad's pickup soon, so i think (depending on how it looks) that I can have him do the paintjob for next to nothing. i just need to be able to take the damn top off

Mattillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '95 Sedan DeVille

Do you have any pics?

CADDYLUVA3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 2003 DHS

Having worked for a company that made and installed the tops (E & G Classics) I can tell you that the only holes in the top are the ones around the rear where the snap rivets are and about four across the top. To reveal them pull the stitching that is across the top at the windshield out. It looks like its part of the top but it is not. Pull up the first four inches of material across the top and you will see the screws. The only thing that holds the top on other than these screws is silicon.Yes silicon. When installing the tops silicon is placed on the roof and the top is pressed down on the silicon. Understand that the top may break when you pull it off. then you must remove the silicon. The roof is painted under the top. The tops are not installed by GM or Cadillac. The dealer takes a certain number of cars and send them to an aftermarket installer who puts the tops on. Hope this was a help.

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

the non factory top is easy to remove, depending on how good the silicon job was will determine the quality of the paint you find underneath.
    Caddyluva hit it right for about 90% of the tops I have seen, a few of the others you have to drop the headliner to find 4-6 screws.
    try caddyluva's suggestion and then start working it with a long plastic putty knife.

steadymashin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Deville

Where can I buy a black faux soft top at for my 99 deville?

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

E&G classics has a list of there dealers....these are the one you typically see sitting on the dealers lot, there are other cheaper options, but honestly no one can top there quality (with proper care of coarse)...the one on my 92 deville is just now starting to show its age; no one, including the dealer when we bought the 06 believed it was original.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.