Ride Quality
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Ride Quality in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well i have a 2001 Cadillac deville and i want 22's so im asking how much ride smoothness ish would ...
    bigpoppa0508 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Deville Pearl White

Ride Quality

Well i have a 2001 Cadillac deville and i want 22's so im asking how much ride smoothness ish would i lose? a percentage view or 1 through 10.
    Also im just want to clarify something... 22's can fit but is there any modification i would have to do? Any rubbing at all?

Thanks for looking

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rodya234 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Ride Quality

I'm pretty sure the 22's would fit with no mods, and there should be no alteration in ride quality unless you change any suspension parts. However, you may have to change springs because the wheel might rise up enough if it bounces and rub against the wheel well. Also you would have to recalibrate the speedometer to correctly reflect the new wheels.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you go to 22's and keep the same outside tire diameter as the OEM tires (read the sticker on the driver's door, take the tire size and go to www.tirerack.com and look at the OEM tire specs for your car), then the section height will be extremely thin and you'll feel every piece of gravel in the street. If you increase the section height to regain ride quality, then outside diameter changes, throwing off the speedo and engine/transmission management programs, and handling becomes mushy and uncertain. You also wind up with tire rubbing problems in the wheelwell.

TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Wheels alone have absolutely nothing to do with speedometer or braking changes: It's the section and outside diameter of the tires you mount ON the wheels that changes things.

For your Deville on 22's the ride quality will go down by half. If you try to raise the car by springs or extra air bags, it gets even worse. And be careful on the highway. You'll be creating a city car, not a road car.

oooop well 20's it is haha more problems with 22's

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Any time you use a lower series tire your ride will get more harsh, there is less of an air cushion, it also depends on where you live and drive, if you are in the south or southwest where the roads are better using larger wheels is not as much of an issue compared to the poor roads of the northeast

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

BigPoppa, I've never done it myself, but on a Deville 20's should be at the edge of the driveability/comfort level. The local Western Auto does a roaring business in aftermarket wheels/tires, especially for light trucks, and they're good at matching the various sizes to keep ride quality and system calibrations within specs. I hung out there a while back and asked the tire kids a few questions, and I think you'll be OK with 20's IF you do as suggested earlier and go to a tire which keeps the approximate (within +/- 0.2") outside diameter. Try to get wheels that have the original bolt pattern, 115 x 5, (NOT 114.3 x 5) and which mount on the center bore, not the bolt circle. Use good chrome lug nuts torqued to 100 ft/lb.

so im looking at rims at 20x8.5 5 lug , tire size 255/35-20 am i riight so far so i dont mess up a perfectly good ride? then there should be nothing else but mounting and balancing right

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

35 series tires will give you a harsh ride for sure.

neverstuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

just drove a seville sts with 20s.It rode like crap ,I could feel everything on the road ,and they wanted to follow every groove.From a performance standpoint they felt a little skitchy in bumpy turns ,I wouldnt go bigger than 17s for a good balance . But Ive also grown out of the form is better than function part of my life.Ive learned to appreciate the quality ride my caddy delivers.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

No it wont be that bad. I have had 20's and up on most of my cars and even 24's on my Expedition. Granted you will lose some ride quality but it wont be terrible. I would go with a 20" because if you go up to a 22" you will have to get a smaller tire and thats where you lose ride quality. A 20" rim with adequate tires will ride nice on your Deville. I had 22's on my 94 Deville and sold them to get some 20's. The 20's felt way better than the 22's and wasnt as harsh on potholes and rough roads. To answer your question about rubbing, yes you will have some rubbing when making sharp turns, so as a result you will lose alot of turn radius. If your looking to keep the stock ride quality then dont do it, but if your willing to give up a little ride quality to look good then go for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.